John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
So she's asked me what to do if offered the French place tomorrow. Does protocol allow one to ask for a week to consider if you've accepted the free flight and accomodation? Being a ficky I have no idea.

Never mind the protocol, just go ahead and ask. You can even hint at the fact there's competition lurking. AFAIK, there's still strong demand in the technical/scientific field; another field worth looking into is AI.

Below is a step response just now measured on an audio amplifier with 20 feet of zip cord speaker cable and loaded with a speaker. Measured at speaker. Where is the problem that you are describing?????

Input step added. The amp is inverting. I can see no other shifts than those by frequency response of the amp. No cable effects in the ITD area. The measurements are level independent, same for small and large signals, unless we are in noise.

Attachments

• step_cable_spk3.png
    step_cable_spk3.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 209
Similar again - poor systems with bad asymmetry (distortion) may allow you to "hear" absolute phase. With good systems it is almost impossible and possible only on some special signals.
Imho those 'special' signals are more common that you give credit for. Vocals, especially spoken word in non reverberant environment are very clearly audibly asymmetrical waveform and these and other natural asymmetric impulsive sounds are perfectly distinguishable on simple but clean speakers like good full range. Multiway loudspeakers can introduce phase anomalies that serve to confuse timing information in the crossover overlaps.

Dan.

Pavel, I just ran a headphone test where I put three copies of each file into VLC Player on repeat and listened and noted differences and mentally labelled the two files as 'sharp' and 'dull'. I found the one second file time is too short but three consecutive plays of the same file is useful. With my eyes closed in a dozen experiments I was able to reliably decide which of the two file types was in play. This test confirms for me that this change is audible, and that the one second or so sample time is too short for reliable detection. Real impulsive sounds with natural ringing and natural decay are completely different to reference square pulse wave train. Try applying your all pass filtering to a kick drum or tom recording and let's see how it sounds, ditto spoken word recording. Pavel, I am not setting out to rain on your parade but I find your too brief one second sample time and the signal content are generators of false negatives and hence your test is not revealing of the truth for naturally generated asymmetric waveforms.

Dan.

Last edited:
Similar again - poor systems with bad asymmetry (distortion) may allow you to "hear" absolute phase. With good systems it is almost impossible and possible only on some special signals.
I used to think the same for many years but once I did rather rigorous tests I concluded otherwise.
At low freqs (< 300Hz or so) our ears are reacting to the actual waveshape even for pretty natural steady state signals. Try this: Add the first overtone to a sine, equal level, but detune the overtone's (or fundamental's) frequency by 0.5Hz and listen (a signal similar to the decay portion of a bass guitar). The detuning rotates the components slowly against each other, the phase difference spanning 360° every two seconds.
If you don't trust this shortcut technique to shift phases, create a bunch of those signals with exact H2 but shifted in phase in discrete 45° steps. Listen and you will find a set of two with a 180° difference between them where one will sound weaker and the other will sound stronger "than average". Then take the orthogonal set (both shifted by 90°) and re-test, these will now sound the same. Which set will cause the greatest differences depends on the actual ear signal, which may have undergone additional phase shift from high-passes and crossover filters (it's best to use good headphones, which should be low distortion as well, and use a very moderate to low listening level).

Note that with actual music signal it depends on both the content and on the phase response of the total system whether a polarity inversion is audible from this effect. If flipping polarity results in the H2 component appear switched between -90° and +90° @eardrum there's little chances this is audible, but when if we happen to get the full 0° to 180° waveshape change it can be quite audible.
Music with soft but full sounding bass drums, and bass guitar with rolled off treble works well.

And this is only one aspect of phase distortion and polarity inversion. With most recordings that contain a natural "room sound" and reverb there are changes in the soundstage depth perception, size of phantom sources, things like that.

Certainly not "worlds", but funny enough I have to sort of agree with Dan that identifying phase/polarity switching is sort of of baseline test I almost always use at the beginning of A/B comparisions, ABX runs etc. Whenever I have a hard time getting this right I know I don't need to try listen for subtleties as I'm not ready for it at the moment, physically and mentally. Which underlines we're talking about very low-level minor effects, no big deal at all.

And of course the worst-case changes that a cable direction swap could actually produce are many orders of magnitude smaller than these gross changes to the signal....

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I prefer to run both speakers at medium level and stand in front of each speaker individually to decide which polarity sounds better in real time (no pauses or 'dead air' time).
This is audio 101, lesson 01, first day before lunch time, after lunch we can continue with speaker cable direction and then interconnect direction.

Dan.

Typo there, it's audiogonzo 101....

Status
Not open for further replies.