John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a single tone the slew rate is level dependent, for a complex tone the rise time (for the more "square" that you´ve mentioned) depends on level and spectral composition.

BS meter pegging red.

I guess you have your own private subjective definitions of "slew rate", "single tone", "complex tone" (whatever that is), "more square".

Those pesky pitchfork wielding engineers use universally accepted definitions, and a common body of knowledge, which makes the above quoted statement a total nonsense.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I must be stuffed. My MC cartridge has pure silver coils, with silver headshell leads, silver litz tonearm wire and pure silver STP cables coming out (including screen
You crawled under the radar beam and you managed to buy all that expensive Hi-End stuff undetected?
Unbelievable

Yes, you would need vinyl with 40dB S/N, 16dB crosstalk and 3% distortion. Then speak about wires!! :)
Plus you are conservative here

How does lightning know to hit the ground? Actually some around here will point out it goes from the ground up

Up, down, wtf?
http://lightningsafety.com/nlsi_info/Fundamentals-of-Lightning-Rakov.pdf

George

Tourny,

Since you seem to prefer less flame on Scott's Grail quest and we can't even agree on basics my analogy and explanation for you as you came late to the party.

How does lightning know to hit the ground? Actually some around here will point out it goes from the ground up. (Same issue with looking for positive.) Making it even more interesting as to how it finds the cloud.

In a doctoral presentation I attended almost 50 years ago a friend actually photographed the growth and behavior of a spark. Our eyes tell us it is pretty much a case of jumping the shortest path. What he showed was that the energy progresses outward as a spherical wavefront until it met the second electrode. Then as current began to flow a plasma formed along the shortest path and that is what we perceive.

Now my analogy to the pond was that everything is there to support the ripple wave once something starts it.

In the spark pictures it was clear the energy propagated from one electrode to the other. There was no meeting in the middle.

In short there as far as I can tell no theory fits all cases.

Now where this is going concerning loudspeaker wire inductance forming a low pass filter I have no idea. At the audio frequencies involved and the impedance mismatch between the cable and load I expect regular LRC circuit theory to be a good model. It also nicely matches measurements and historical applications.

Sparks have little to nothing to do with Maxwell, EM field propagation, and EM field energy transport, but with material properties in an EM field. Paschen's law is your friend.

A vacuum arc, has a completely different physics, with field electronic emission, or thermionic emission, or both, as a foundation. Also little to nothing to do with the EM field propagation.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Sometimes as a parent (well most of the time really) it's hard to know the right advice to give kids. In my case I've ended up serving as a warning rather than being a good example!

So Eldest has just finished finals and hunting around for options to get piled high and deep. I advised her to get out of UK for the time being until the bloodbath of Brexit has finished and funding of sciences is sorted out. She's currently in Marseilles being interviewed for a place there which actually sounds like the perfect place to spend a few years but now discovers she has a videoconf interview with Lund in Sweden on quantum magnet research, which she thinks is more her thing.

So she's asked me what to do if offered the French place tomorrow. Does protocol allow one to ask for a week to consider if you've accepted the free flight and accomodation? Being a ficky I have no idea.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
You know who would think your all nuts

Attachments

• C6046CC4-196E-4720-AF90-F154DAEA4DC9.jpeg
    C6046CC4-196E-4720-AF90-F154DAEA4DC9.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 199
Bass notes have HF that can vary 5 or 6 octave, usually topping out around 5kHz. The more attack the more HF, ( Fourier, and your ears). Almost all bass cabs have a HF driver. Are the strings flat or round wound, plucked, picked, or slapped, what kind of EQ, compression, etc. Not to mention what note you play. All makes a dfference to the attack.

IMHO the attack will sound different with HF hearing loss just like it will sound different thru a LP filter. Try one on a slapped bass to see. But the hearing loss would have to go down too 1or 2khz. A snare drum is another story.
Exactly so, I mentioned 5KHz as the max harmonic for bass. 1 or 2KHz hearing loss is not what is generally considered normal age-related hearing loss, AFAIK. How many 60 - 70 year olds on here have such HF loss?

Am-I mistaking ? I had been told, at school that it was the opposite: from negative to positive.

When Benjamin Franklin first decide on positive and negative he thought of electricity as a fluid going from a supply to a deficit. When the current actually radiates from the negative source the current begins to really flow when it reaches the positive end. This starts the arc for some cases which grows back to the actual source. So he decided it flows from positive to negative based on observation. It was much latter that folks realized it moved the other way.

So convention calls current flow from positive to negative. Others sort of correct this by say electron flows from negative to positive.

You got it right at school.

Last edited:
Sometimes as a parent (well most of the time really) it's hard to know the right advice to give kids. In my case I've ended up serving as a warning rather than being a good example!

So Eldest has just finished finals and hunting around for options to get piled high and deep. I advised her to get out of UK for the time being until the bloodbath of Brexit has finished and funding of sciences is sorted out. She's currently in Marseilles being interviewed for a place there which actually sounds like the perfect place to spend a few years but now discovers she has a videoconf interview with Lund in Sweden on quantum magnet research, which she thinks is more her thing.

So she's asked me what to do if offered the French place tomorrow. Does protocol allow one to ask for a week to consider if you've accepted the free flight and accomodation? Being a ficky I have no idea.
Nice.

Do not think of it as free flight and accommodation. Tell her..if she had five interviews in different countries, they all would have done the same.

They are trying to get the best, and understand that to get young talent, flight and hotel is the cost of doing business. After all, what's a few grand when the payback could be a world leading employee at a facility that lives for that.

She needs to evaluate the offer and the work on its merits. Btw, nobody expects a answer before they hang up. If they push too hard, something is amiss.

Wish her luck. She can pm me should she wish. (I can't think of any good reason she would want to);)
Ps..tell her it is more important to follow your passion. Too many follow the money, too many listen to the adults...(watch butterflies to blackbirds for that reference)
Jn

Last edited:
Sparks have little to nothing to do with Maxwell, EM field propagation, and EM field energy transport, but with material properties in an EM field. Paschen's law is your friend.

A vacuum arc, has a completely different physics, with field electronic emission, or thermionic emission, or both, as a foundation. Also little to nothing to do with the EM field propagation.

Not quite sure what you are getting at. The issue is not the breakdown voltage or mechanism. It is the field propagation method. Wave theory and particle theory both cover this.

Seems JN supports the intelligent lightning theory! (Possibly the most intelligence around here!)

I'll go by the spherical propagation wave front until something happens.

It seems to match practice and observations decently.

Anyone have a paper to the contrary?

Well...no papers yet. Not sure if or when they will publish.

As a gradient rises, eventually a breakdown occurs. Most people think lightning occurs when the dielectric withstanding is exceeded. That is not the case.

At some point the air breaks down. This is not a bulk gradient failure, but a local phenomena. That initial spike of conductivity propagates along the gradient, until it hits ground.

You are perhaps 50 years back.

It was interesting researching all this stuff for the dark matter liquid argon detector, I get involved with the weirdest stuff..:eek:

Jn

Ah JN,

I thought the issue was what effect the cable has on the loudspeaker performance.

So I measured a loudspeaker cable intended for portable stage monitor use. Test frequency was 1,000 hertz.

The 25' 12 gauge loudspeaker cable measured .208 ohms, 8.5 nF and .0052 mH.

My arithmetic shows 2 x pi x .0052 mH x 20,000 Hz = .65345 ohms. So 25' will be less than a dB at 20,000 hertz. Just from the cable inductance. Of course that is for an 8 ohm loudspeaker.

Or for a simple stadium run of 250' -2.5 dB at 8,000 Hz. compared to a a 1' length of cable. (Remember it is not just straight resistance.) Yes without equalization you will hear that.

Last edited:
Ah JN,

I thought the issue was what effect the cable has on the loudspeaker performance.

So I measured a loudspeaker cable intended for portable stage monitor use. Test frequency was 1,000 hertz.

The 25' 12 gauge loudspeaker cable measured .208 ohms, 8.5 nF and .0052 mH.

My arithmetic shows 2 x pi x .0052 mH x 20,000 Hz = .65345 ohms. So 25' will be less than a dB at 20,000 hertz. Just from the cable inductance. Of course that is for an 8 ohm loudspeaker.

Or for a simple stadium run of 250' -2.5 dB at 8,000 Hz. compared to a a 1' length of cable. (Remember it is not just straight resistance.) Yes without equalization you will hear that.
You have seen and read my posts. Apply what I have shown.

Or, ignore everything. I do not care.

Your choice.

Jn

Both of them or just one?
Take your pick, if you reverse polarity of just one speaker, one channel will sound 'correct' with natural sound recordings and the other will sound 'wrong'.
You can then swap interconnect directions around and explore the sounds of the four permutations.
The sound of one permutation will be best, one will be worst, the other two will still be 'wrong' for a given recording.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.