John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Experience says universal detection and universal preference when applied to systems.
Application to loopback recordings is demonstrating cable differences that are readily and predictably implemented.......cables are dynamics control devices and I am yet to hear one that does not have some kind of signature.

Why not cables in a range of defined sounds or moods and at sensible cost....neutral or silver or gold or detailed or natural or laid back etc etc etc....it's perfectly possible and without the usual cable vendor nonsense explanations and nonsense prices.
I do not follow-you on this path.
Cables are passive networks. To make a long story short, they can be considered only with their RLC characteristic or, if you prefer, their lumped elements.
Nothing mysterious about their "character", due to the matter of the conductive wire.
Even the electrons behaviors are well known by the science, nowadays (skin effect etc.)

And, if this apply for analog, how could-you expect any change with digital, as long as there is no enough deterioration of the signal to introduce errors ?
If the rising edges are rounded due to a parasitic capacitance of the cable, this will only introduce a slight delay due to the fact that the trigger which reconstitutes the signal at their end will trigger with a slight delay due to the slope of the received signal.

You do not want to cause a heart attack to J. Neutron, do you?

Interconnect cables! Lies and myths!

Last edited:
Tweako audiophiles do this all of the time. All this circus of the last few days from you to prove this?
I tried to demo and minor technical issues got seized upon if that's what you call a circus. The neutral sound I speak of is one that none of us have heard before. Next upload will include standard cables and ferrite in the comparisons.

Dan.

Last edited:
I tried to demo and minor technical issues
The neutral sound I speak of is one that none of us have heard before.
Max, the drops in the files you uploaded lead-me to imagine you have a connection problem. or a bad contact somewhere. This could explain the differences you can observe between various cables/situations in your system ?

The only problems I've ever seen with cables during my entire career, when they were not cut or unknotted, were in their connectors or excessive lengths.
And this sentence of mr. Peter J. Walker apply both for objectivists and subjectivists: "I tend to prefer the cables that conduct electricity".

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I cannot comment on the wireless LS50's - mine are the conventional unpowered versions.

Speakers are a very subjective thing. I find some (including a 12 grand pair of floor standers) quite unpleasant - forward, hard and with bad imaging. A lot of horns sound 'cardboardy' to my ears but some rave over them. My B&W's sound big, open and smooth, except for the treble which can be quite 'brittle'.

On the 12 grand speakers I mentioned earlier, they guy played my amp through them and them apologized for the bad sound - he told me they still had not 'broken in'. I am afraid there are a lot of speakers out there that are nice as statements of art/furniture but acoustically they are rubbish.

What surprises me is that you must know that the whole speaker thing is supremely subjective and yet you bought them without listening first. That is a no-no in my book. Sell them and find something you like - but listen first before dropping your Euro's on the table.

It is not the technical aspect that confuse-me, but the psycho acoustic one.

I'm not allowed by my doctor to can ear anything above 12kHz (see my avatar).

Why do I hear a difference ? And not a difference in distortion, but in tonal balance, that I dislike.

I would like to add that the main change I noticed with my old age losses of audibility is that HF components in the ordinary considered audible range (20 000), that are now above my audibility threshold, is felt as disagreeable and unnatural in my hifi system ... and not in real life sounds.

Tournesol,

Your comment is of interest to me. We are all, to some degree, subjected to our own solipsism. It is part of what makes us unique individuals. I find it fascinating that the mind can and does invent harmonics that the ear, due to hearing loss with age, cannot possibly resolve, but we hear them all the same.

I live in a landscape mostly silent, and find external high frequency sounds that are above the upper limit of my tinnitus almost unbearable. Yet when I listen to music, those frequencies are there, and pleasantly so. Although I agree with the importance of measuring sound, it is all about how music sounds to me as defined by my own solipsism.

At the moment, I am exploring playback EQ with a degree of passion that a few years ago would have surprised me.

ToS

I do not follow-you on this path. Cables are passive networks. To make a long story short, they can be considered only with their RLC characteristic or, if you prefer, their lumped elements. Nothing mysterious about their "character", due to the matter of the conductive wire. Even the electrons behaviors are well known by the science, nowadays (skin effect etc.)
Yes we know cables can be described as RLC networks but it seems that is not the whole story. Dielectric properties are strong part of the equation and this is key, conductor material is of some importance but is not dominant. Nobody should have a heart attack, this should be an enlightening voyage of discovery.

Dan.

<snip>

I would like to add that the main change I noticed with my old age losses of audibility is that HF components in the ordinary considered audible range (20 000), that are now above my audibility threshold, is felt as disagreeable and unnatural in my hifi system ... and not in real life sounds.

In Ashihara´s experiment it was indeed the IMD from the single loudspeaker when reproducing every spectral component.

It´s obviously hard to say what the mechanism in your case might be; assuming that you´re not talking about the specific experiment by Ashihara but about just playing music with content above 12 kHz with your loudspeakers?!

Max, the drops in the files you uploaded lead-me to imagine you have a connection problem. or a bad contact somewhere. This could explain the differences you can observe between various cables/situations in your system ?
Yes, thanks I will redo the problem files. I had one dodgy plug, also using internet while recording is a no no it seems....limited PC memory. I will upload some new stuff tomorrow.....24bit source file, original live recording I did a year ago in a country pub.

Dan.

What surprises me is that you must know that the whole speaker thing is supremely subjective and yet you bought them without listening first. That is a no-no in my book.
It is a no no in my book too.
But, listen and sympathize, I live in the ******* of the free world. I can only listen to the sound of the sea and the singing of mosquitoes.

assuming that you´re not talking about the specific experiment by Ashihara but about just playing music with content above 12 kHz with your loudspeakers?!
Right.

About cables, i would like to add that there is no fun to try to tame a troop of soldiers. They already march in or in a perfect single file when the path is steep. It's more fun with active devices. Each one has its own little character, and full of little fads that seem to be made to ruin your life.
Together, they walk in zigzag and disorder. Sometimes even in circles.
If you can make a parade with them, you can be proud of yourself ;-).

Scott Wurcer is a good officer: I saw one of his parades on the occasion of the "AD797": Not a head beyond.
It's even scary ;-)

I find it fascinating that the mind can and does invent harmonics that the ear, due to hearing loss with age, cannot possibly resolve, but we hear them all the same.

"Missing fundamental" can fill in lower frequencies suggested by higher harmonics. "Phase locking" is a theory to do with the perception of higher frequencies. Have you more info on the brain inventing higher harmonics?

It is a no no in my book too.
But, listen and sympathize, I live in the ******* of the free world. I can only listen to the sound of the sea and the singing of mosquitoes.
Yes, chance would be a fine thing. I came to my decision to build Jordan Eikona VTLs base on internet research and a desire and gut feeling to go with a minimalist approach. I did not ask for anyone's opinions on any forums, I don't know whether that has anything to do with me being very happy and satisfied with the sound of them :D

Tournesol,

Your comment is of interest to me. We are all, to some degree, subjected to our own solipsism. It is part of what makes us unique individuals. I find it fascinating that the mind can and does invent harmonics that the ear, due to hearing loss with age, cannot possibly resolve, but we hear them all the same.

I live in a landscape mostly silent, and find external high frequency sounds that are above the upper limit of my tinnitus almost unbearable. Yet when I listen to music, those frequencies are there, and pleasantly so. Although I agree with the importance of measuring sound, it is all about how music sounds to me as defined by my own solipsism.

At the moment, I am exploring playback EQ with a degree of passion that a few years ago would have surprised me.
Exactly the same. Thanks, I feel less alone in my solipsism.

It is what I tried to explain, talking about "culture" that affects our feels when listening to music.

May-be the same phenomena that makes-me say "Good morning, sir, but what are-you doing here", each time I see-me in the mirror of my bathroom ?

"Missing fundamental" can fill in lower frequencies suggested by higher harmonics. "Phase locking" is a theory to do with the perception of higher frequencies. Have you more info on the brain inventing higher harmonics?

No I don't! :p

Perhaps I should have said 'I' instead of 'we'. What I describe is what I hear inside my minds ear, and thought (until now) everybody else does the same ...... solipsism in action, I guess. See what I'm getting at?

Maybe someone else more informed about 'phase locking' could chip in. ToS

E...I feel less alone in my solipsism.

We seem to have slipping into possibly overusing the term solipsism. It is not a norm that applies to the majority of people.

Definition of solipsism. : a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing. Also : extreme egocentrism.

Last edited:
Max Headroom said:
Dielectric properties are strong part of the equation and this is key, conductor material is of some importance but is not dominant.
It is easy to show that dielectric properties of an audio cable are almost irrelevant - assuming a competent source driving them. Conductor material simply has to be a reasonably good conductor with good connections - experiment shows that banana is good enough for short connections. It really is that simple. You seem to live on a different planet, where the laws of physics are different.

Nobody should have a heart attack, this should be an enlightening voyage of discovery.
We are doing our best to enlighten you about how electronics works, but thus far we have not made much progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.