John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard,

noise performance down at 10Hz and 1Hz offtsets, and do so for reasonable cost. It is possible to do even a bit better than the NDK and Crystek parts, but not typically for dacs selling for less than somewhere around a couple of thousand dollars. If going all out for low jitter, then there are a number of other things that should be done to a very high level of quality as well, and those things also tend to drive up cost.

That is OK, if price goes up.

-RM

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Seems the whole AES thing ended up being another case of ‘too many egos in high places’.

I always thought Walt Jung’s stuff was very good - regulators, buffers, RIAA, capacitor paper (some will disagree, but it nevertheless it made me aware of some of the issues).

OTOH, it was Lipshitz who highlighted the RIAA inaccuracy thing in the late ‘70’s.

(Life’s too short to wash a car - for me it’s straight down to the local garage and through the car wash)

<snip>

OTOH, it was Lipshitz who highlighted the RIAA inaccuracy thing in the late ‘70’s.

(Life’s too short to wash a car - for me it’s straight down to the local garage and through the car wash)

Lipshitz´s article was really helpful to a student like me who just started with diy-audio. Paul Skritek did independently the same in his diploma thesis at the same time (Lipshitz learned about it and mentioned it in his JAES article).

The interesting point was, beside the technical aspects, that Lipshitz mentioned the audibility of even quite small RIAA inaccuracies at or below 0.1 dB ,but to my best knowledge never showed/cited hard evidence for this assertion.

Btw, being adamant that in a scientific context controlled listening test must be used, is good.
Dismissing/negating anything else isn´t a scientific point of view.

As I´ve never talked to him in person, I can only judge from his publications and conclude that he strongly underestimated the difficulties of good sensory tests.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, I would never support destroying someone's career over something like this. But, if the AES is a scientific organization, then they will want to apply rigorous academic standards to anything that gets published. So be it - then you simply don't put up your specific material that might not comply with their standards and you publish elsewhere.

Wasn't Lipshitz the one who said digital audio can never sound decent?

There you go - he's also guilty of subjective opinion, no matter what numbers and equations he attaches to his position, since there are plenty of folks who think it sounds pretty damn fine - try the Bernstein recording of the NY Philharmonic doing Westside Story or some yo-Yo Ma stuff for starters.

The interesting point was, beside the technical aspects, that Lipshitz mentioned the audibility of even quite small RIAA inaccuracies at or below 0.1 dB ,but to my best knowledge never showed/cited hard evidence for this assertion.

Good luck verifying end to end 0.1dB for LP reproduction. I doubt, for instance, there has ever been a cartridge that could do that even if it was verifiable.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
No Bons -

You dont know him. He is a hard core DBLTer to the max. Any opinion to the contrary is not acceptable. After all, he has a PHd in mathematics.

Contrast him with another PHd in mathematics. Taught and retired from UCLA. Robert Green. He did intelligent subjective audio reviewing for TAS. Didnt believe in the DBLT for much. Green is the inventor of wavelet theory.

Not into power trips like Lips. And, would never try to destroy anyone or hurt their careers from their position at AES. IMO Lips is very much in the ego vain of one The Don (Trump). If he did not agree with you, he did it publicly from his position of power and authority. And, that is how he could hurt careers of good engineers. During his tenure,you saw a shift to heavy math articles and away from audio circuitry, recording gear and affects, speakers, and audio sound. He alone killed AES for me.

IMO, of course.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
He alone killed AES for me.

IMO, of course.

He brushed me off too, but I expected it.

BTW

The first literature that relates to the wavelet transform is Haar wavelet. It
was proposed by the mathematician Alfrd Haar in 1909. However, the concept of the wavelet did not exist at that time. Until 1981, the concept was
proposed by the geophysicist Jean Morlet. Afterward, Morlet and the physicist Alex Grossman invented the term wavelet in 1984.

I don't want to take sides in the Marsh/Wurcer controversy (although I'd probably side with the guy with whom I went to high school) but I do, on the behalf of the colorblind everywhere, want to commend this post, with the various clock results identified not just by color, but also by nifty little arrows. I cannot tell you how many times I've looked at depictions of test results and been totally unable to discern to which device which little squiggly line is to be attributed.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
He brushed me off too, but I expected it.

BTW

I know, Scott. Sorry it happened to you, also.

re Wavelets -
I got my info from Robert Green himself on the phone regarding some specifics of inventions. I expect his wavelet theories are different or more complete or simplified in some way that is now popularly used from his work. His complaint was that his input is so accepted in wavelet theory now that it is just refered to "as everyone knows' . he doesnt get the credit he felt he deserved.

But, all that is a side issue to the two very opposite views of two PHd math professors regarding audio and audibility.

-RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
You and he need to edit the Wikipedia entry for Wavelet, it doesn't mention Green at all. Not in the "history" section of the article itself, and also not in the footnotes.

Not me. I dont know a F***king thing about its math. But, I believe Dr. Green as i known him a long time as having no displayed ego. he invented/contributed to something significantly important to wavelet theory. But he is one of many many people who this sort of thing occures. Not everything is patented or placed in the most widely read journals. So, we just dont know who did what first in many cases. Or the publication is even gone out of business. So no one will ever know but it got out there and everyones using it.

But you are still not focused on the point here I was talking about --->But, all that is a side issue to the two very opposite views of two PHd math professors regarding audio and audibility.

-RM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.