John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great but so what? Thats not the point. I am talking about how well some circuits handle HF better than others and there is good need for it to do so.
Those that do not... most ? ...will produce audible artifacts. The filters are not removing enough of the HF junk moved upward in freq from DAC output.

Any VFA with typical low OL BW and rising THD with freq above 20KHz is going to sound worse than a typical CFA. This HF presence is one of the reasons. Otherwise, both VFA and CFA would do about as well, audibly, without the HF presence. Most if not all CD player of recent vintage has significant HF on its output.

THx-RNMarsh

There are VFA with low distortion at 10s to 100s of MHz. This isn’t 1980 or 1990 even.

Any VFA with typical low OL BW and rising THD with freq above 20KHz is going to sound worse than a typical CFA.

Any proof to this outstanding statement? Or everybody has to take your word for it?

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa1656.pdf

The new OPA1656 VFA has 0.000029%(–131 dB) THD @1KHz and 0.000035% (–129 dB) THD at 20 kHz. And, horror of all horrors, it is a CMOS device, so I'm pretty confident each and every serious audiophile ears will be insulted by these levels of THD, and the 2.9nV/rtHz noise.

Not having myself any vested interest in the audio industry, sometimes, after reading such a data sheet, I'm really wondering what the hell are we doing here. Marsh Audio could think otherwise, of course.

The OPA1656 looks to be FET input and not CMOS. I could be wrong but it looks quite nice.

The 1kHz noise corner is not impressive, but the Ib spec would seem to indicate JFET unless there are other junctions hanging off the inputs. Quite amazing to see several pages of RIAA pre-amp applications in 2019, a couple of these would double the price of one of those Walmart TT's. I've become quite attached to my open-loop, Muntzed, Cordell pre-amp.

I guess there's something making 10pA Ib.

Last edited:
Any proof to this outstanding statement? Or everybody has to take your word for it?
Build and compare the two topologies of the same amp and make your own opinion by yourself. (that I did). Nothing to "believe" and nobody ask-you to do-it.

This endless request of a "proof" is both boring and useless (unless you can provide a proof of the contrary), in absence of complete and definitive studies of auditory threshold of all parameters we can measure (distortion, bandwidth, slew rate etc) when nobody can, as far as I know, provide a satisfactory explanation at this time of something a lot of people seems to feel in the same way.

Last edited:
This endless request of a "proof" is both boring and useless (unless you can provide a proof of the contrary), in absence of complete and definitive studies of auditory threshold of all parameters we can measure (distortion, bandwidth, slew rate etc) when nobody can, as far as I know, provide a satisfactory explanation at this time of something a lot of people seems to feel in the same way.
That is a cop out, "complete and definitive studies" are not required for "proof", nothing can be proved to such a degree, evidence is all that is required.

John said loudspeaker distortion is less noticeable than distortion in the electrical chain, you agreed, can you show any evidence that that's correct?

Last edited:
I guess there's something making 10pA Ib.

I guess these are the reverse biased diodes protecting all the CMOS I/O from curiously touching audiophile hands.

It is your right to not provide any evidence, as much as it is my right to disregard whatever I believe is an unsubstantiated claim.

Would you have an answer for yourself? ;)

Yes. I'm preparing for retirement, when time will be my most disposable resource.

It is your right to not provide any evidence
Wait, SYN08. I can provide evidences (differences in measurements between voltage/current feedback topologies of the same amp).
Nobody can explain why some can report a difference in listening impressions and prefer one or an other, as the differences are supposed to be far from our supposed listening range (20-20 000 Hz etc.). I would like to add those differences are subtitle enough to not need any fighting ;-)

John said loudspeaker distortion is less noticeable than distortion in the electrical chain, you agreed, can you show any evidence that that's correct?
Are-you kidding ? Don't you enjoy your speakers ? Would you accept and suffer an amplifier with such levels of distortion? (~ -30dB under listening level)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
There are VFA with low distortion at 10s to 100s of MHz..

Thats a nutty reply. How many of those are what is being sold to audio consumers ! :(

We are dealing here with what we have available and typically HiFi amplifier use. Aren't we?

Plenty of distortion graphs on new consumer electronics which still shows the behaviour which causes trouble with DAC/CD but not so with TT.

-RNM

Speakers can have 'more' distortion, probably because they do not usually use negative feedback in their operation. This is especially important in the midrange and hi frequency speakers.

That's an interesting reply.

Thats a nutty reply. How many of those are what is being sold to audio consumers ! :(

They are open market parts available to any audio manufacturer.

Speakers can have 'more' distortion, probably because they do not usually use negative feedback in their operation. This is especially important in the midrange and hi frequency speakers.
May-be it is because they produce lot more H2 harmonic than higher ones, or/and because their distortion levels are not at all linear with frequencies ?
I don't follow-you on your feedback point: they *use* feedback of the amps (damping factor) to dump their resonances.
We have a lot to learn about the way our brains process what we hear. By example, what a difference between a direct listening of a speaker, and the recording of the same signal with a good mike from the same listening point.

If i was courageous enough, i should make measurement on a speaker of the curve of directivity of a frequency and the harmonics distortions it produces.

Last edited:
Are-you kidding ? Don't you enjoy your speakers ? Would you accept and suffer an amplifier
with such levels of distortion? (~ -30dB under listening level)

Here is Bill Johnson's (of Audio Research) take on whether the loudspeaker is the limiting factor.

"William Z. Johnson: Back in my youth I built several amplifiers just to build them. The first one that
I built commercially was in 1949. I was working for a music company in those days, after coming back
from service in the Army right after World War II. I was approached by a then-audiophile who had a
Klipschorn speaker and a Williamson-type amplifier. He wanted better electronics. He had caught on
to the fact that the secret of good sound was not in the loudspeaker as much as in whether the
electronics were transparent."

Read more at William Z. Johnson of Audio Research: High Definition | Stereophile.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.