John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
What statement, loud? I've never been front and center where I could bear to stay and listen especially with hard aggressive music. I had a friend who setup for name acts in the 70's in the UK, front row SPL's were typically set at 120dB.

dB what reference? Inches, millimeters, frogs or would it be sound pressure level referenced to the old or new standard and then what weight?

You know perfectly well bells are a ratio and without a reference meaningless. My guess would be 110 dBa with a fast response "C" weighting is what the reading taken by a competent meter user would get. Maybe less as a slow "A" weighted dBa reading not a bragging claim.

To get only moderately clipped music a real reading of 120 dBa slow "A" weighted would require a one meter loudpeaker output of 150 dBa peaks. Or in excess of 100,000 watts into typical loudspeakers. I have seen systems with that wattage but they also used loudspeakers that were designed for such abuse and were almost 10 dB less sensitive than the usual ones.

Of course in the seventies the typical large amplifiers used were Crown DC300s. About 160 watts per channel.

Now depending on the audience loud can be 95dBa fast "A" weight or the typical concert goal these days is 102 dBa fast "C" righting at 100 feet. That in a good system can actually be uniform to the front row. But it might be 3dB higher to almost 10 dB when done with poor pattern control.

Yes there are some folks who try to play louder and they are marked by blown gear after each performance.

My loudest system could do 102 dBa fast "A" at 700 feet. But it was also that level at the closest audience members.

dB what reference? Inches, millimeters, frogs or would it be sound pressure level referenced to the old or new standard and then what weight?

Ed you never disappoint, I almost edited my post but I knew you would have something to say. I have no idea what he meant other than so loud it was unhealthy to listen without ear protection. That was my experience.

And you like to be inaccurate? Or did we really just have a spot of communication?

Pretty much any exposure above 80 dBa slow "A" is damaging and probably even below that.

Personally I prefer to listen to much reproduced sound at levels of fast "C" of 50 dBa. That is lower than most folks due to my extremely low background noise level.

Last edited:
Living in an apartment, I usually listen at relatively low levels, 60-70dB or so. However, I decided to turn on the big system last Sunday, in order to listen to some new digital that I had. Normally, I don't like digital reproduction, but I was experimenting with some 'B' tweaks that Jack wanted me to try. WOW! Finally my system sounds really good in digital, at least my best 24-96K, and DSD did, and it even listenable on CD. So I turned up the volume to a realistic level which is about 10-15dB higher that I noted with my sound level meter. You know, 85dB wideband average, perhaps 95 on some peaks. It sounded great, but the next day I got a note on my door with a neighbor who wanted to complain about the sound level. So its back to 60-70dB.

It's interesting to see that preference has crept back into the ABX discussion. I thought valid tests for possibly subtle differences came first. There is the issue that arises when people can tell the difference and prefer the "wrong" choice.

This is my experience, there is nothing even remotely subtle about the differences in what my audio acquaintances prefer to listen to.

And of course unsighted listening = "forum" ABX only just keeps rolling.

Last edited:
@KBK, Some very good points. But, if you are in a position to see all that you can probably also see saying it once won't change much, if anything. You could have a lot of work ahead if you if you actually want to have an effect.

EDIT: However, some of what you say seems a bit overly dramatic.

No, I would never be dramatic. No one has ever seen me do that.

Dry humour, maybe.

Similarly, I need lower gain (unity?!) amps around here. Nearfield and quiet.

It seems that most of us listen at quite low SPL level. You might like to use a unity gain class A power buffer then. You get both noise and distortion as low that there is no reason to speak about it. With a preamp that usually has gain like 5x (14dB) you would probably cover the SPL you need.

Just a small warning, in case you often listen to classical music, many pieces have so low average level that you need overall gain at least as I have mentioned, otherwise it will sound too silent.

Interestingly why do we mostly speak about "steamroller" amplifiers here, if the demand seems to be for lower power and lowest possible noise? ;) No trivial answers, please.

The bit about "helps with our ability to create the illusion in our rooms if we expose ourselves to sound in the natural world, i.e. outdoor spaces" I'm not sure is correct. We've already laid down the sound patterns & behaviors of how sound objects behave in nature - maybe additional exposure helps to remind/reinforce these patterns but I doubt it - the learning has already done its job to completion.
Yes, that's right, he says it does, a good reason to get out more and stop reading books about audio perception and just do it. ;):D

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Do you use this description of the hearing process as input when designing your products?

If so, how?

//

Yes, I saw Linkwitz was aware of Bregman & auditory scene analysis (ASA) but does he only reference it in relation to room acoustics - you seem to also limit it to this consideration or have I picked this up wrong?

ASA is really a fundamental & core aspect of what our sense of hearing is about - what enables us to make sense of complex acoustic mixtures in order to best represent the real world & arrive at percepts corresponding
to the individual sound sources or follow, for instance ,a single melody in the midst of an orchestra.

"The task is also known as the ‘cocktail party problem’ [4], which refers to the ability to follow one conversation when many people are talking at the same time. The auditory system has to determine whether a sequence of
sounds all came from a single source, and should be perceived as a single ‘stream’ or whether there were multiple sources [5]. In the latter case, each sound in the sequence has to be allocated to its appropriate source and multiple streams should be heard."

As I said before this is a highly complex task & the fact of the matter is that there is not enough data (nerve impulses arriving on the auditory pathway) to uniquely solve this task i.e to uniquely match the signals to one particular auditory scene - it's an ill-posed problem that suffers from a poverty of stimulus. So at any point in time the auditory scene is the result of some guesswork & we are constantly in somewhat of a confused condition which we try to alleviate by using different techniques - techniques that we are only discovering but the easy ones to understand are - using other signals from other senses to corroborate with auditory signals - so vision is an important source of additional signals.

Other techniques used are predictive top-down guesswork selecting a finite set of previously stored patterns which best match the pattern of incoming auditory signals. Top-down matching isn't just a passive process, it actively directs the bottom-up signals by focusing attention to specific aspects of the evolving sound. And bottom-up signals can cause changes to the set of patterns that best corroborate with the signals - it's a two way communication.

So attention, inattention & previous experience also play a part in what is being heard, what aspects are being heard - like vision, we don't consciously hear what is outside our focus.

There's lots more to be said but the result of all the above is that auditory perception is fragile (as are other perceptions) hence we can experience auditory & visual illusions - it also explains why even when there is an obvious audible difference, we often don't score 100% in identifying this.

A lay persons guide makes an interesting read about the ambiguity of auditory perception & the use of illusions in the study of this perception, with particular emphasis on music perception

ASA: the sweet music of ambiguity

Last edited:
Randi got poor advice in setting up his challenge. IIRC he left the door open for someone to choose pathological combinations of speaker/amp/cable where easily detected frequency response anomalies could occur.

Simply no, as no further negotations about the specifics were done. Randi "weaseled" out, which means from an objective point of view he was not acting in goog faith, used dubious statements as arguments and violated/changed the rules of the JREF challengs during the back and forth with Michael Fremer.

Pavel,

If one has inefficient loudspeakers and listens near field the background noise may be matched at the listener's ears by a power level of a milliwatt or two into the loudspeakers. To clearly hear a soft passage you would want about a tenth of a watt going into the loudspeaker. Even better would be a full watt or so. So the maximum power issue becomes what dynamic range is available on the recordings you are listening to.

In practice live music follows the same signal to noise ratios. You would probably not enjoy a concert where you could not clearly hear the soft passages. That would set the lower limit of the possible dynamic range of a recording. The upper limit would be how loud a human can make an instrument sound.

Been a while since I measured that but it would be at least 4 bells. So add 4 zeros to the power requirements! Maybe even 5!

Pavel,

If one has inefficient loudspeakers and listens near field the background noise may be matched at the listener's ears by a power level of a milliwatt or two into the loudspeakers. To clearly hear a soft passage you would want about a tenth of a watt going into the loudspeaker. Even better would be a full watt or so. So the maximum power issue becomes what dynamic range is available on the recordings you are listening to.

Ed, this is more than obvious to most of us, I would say. However, I know there is a huge difference in the listening level chosen by my various visitors, even if we listen to the same recording. Some of them prefer to listen at so high level, that my 200W amp gets close to clipping in fff peaks (85dB/2.83Vrms/1m speaker sensitivity). Some of them listen at level that 2W are barely attacked. So if Daniel says he listens at low volume level, I am suggesting a class A unity gain power buffer + preamp, provided that he uses something like 85-90dB/2.83V/1m speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.