John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
scott wurcer said:
How does that work?
I can understand AES having lots of audio engineers and few RF engineers so knowledge of transmissions lines could be thin on the ground there. Not so for EBU: they should have shedloads of RF engineers.

1audio said:
In fact the original 1983 specification allowed up to a 2:1 mis-match of the line characteristics and this gave a
certain flexibility to "loop through" receivers, or use multiple links radiating from transmitters.
In the 1980s there was an obsession with 'multi-drop' cabling for all sorts of networking. I guess this coloured their thinking. Somewhere there would have been an engineer saying "that will never work" but his manager told him to keep quiet.

Last edited:
PMA said:
Until you make an experiment yourselves you are unable to evaluate and fully absorb the theory you have studied. Once you made an experiment, you will know and understand forever.
Particle physics has only made the progress it has by largely separating theorists from experimenters for the last 50 years. There are very few people who can do both at a competent level.

Semiconductor physics: the opposite . By commingling experimenters and theorists we've stretched Moore's exponential progress curve farther than anybody thought possible.

Nonsense;). It's the immersion lithography that did it for the last few years.:D Which is optical as well as plumbing..

For high energy physics (actually, condensed matter physics as well), co-mingling between the physicists and engineers has proven quite valuable. As the interaction continues and both camps learn through cross contamination, amazing things can be built and run.

At least, that has been my experience.

jn

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Nonsense;).

For high energy physics (actually, condensed matter physics as well), co-mingling between the physicists and engineers has proven quite valuable. As the interaction continues and both camps learn through cross contamination, amazing things can be built and run.

At least, that has been my experience.

jn

Mine also. I worked with a guy who had a title of Physics Engineer (PHd).

Did not know there was such a field. He was excited one day and took me from the office over to the building where he had invented a self aligning laser system for something.

Guess he was one who bridged both engineering and physics and understood both well.

THx-RNMarsh

LOLOL,
That reminds me of the Quantum E-Meter I was tasked with analyzing a few years ago: Scientology Mark Super VII Quantum E-Meter | eBay
I won't comment on it here since it has connections to a "religion."

Geesh...
Howie

Status
Not open for further replies.