John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
In the UK there is huge financial pressure on universities to pass more students, it has devalued things somewhat. And "Professors" - used to be a sign of a lot of experience and so forth, nowadays professorships are handed out like shelled peas, again, it bigs up the financial appeal to have lots of profs at a uni. All a bit sad...

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
yes, here too. It has to do with school's grading by government.... the schools which graduate the most with an A grade get more funding and more parents want their kids to go to that one. So in attempt to get higher grad grades, they lower the standards. Nice.

-Richard

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I suspect when your young lady gets immersed into EE, that she will find studies that far surpass our 'dated' experiences to the point that you will have a hard time really understanding what she is studying. ;-)

I am not even going to try to keep up with her studies. There are always new technologies to learn. I can just be aware of them only.

Hey, I have a good excuse... I'm retired.... I dont have to know. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:)

-RM

Last edited:
In the UK there is huge financial pressure on universities to pass more students, it has devalued things somewhat. And "Professors" - used to be a sign of a lot of experience and so forth, nowadays professorships are handed out like shelled peas, again, it bigs up the financial appeal to have lots of profs at a uni. All a bit sad...

I think the US pioneered that... It's pretty bad. Going to a university doesn't really mean you are of any value. Many people know this, some haven't been updated - particularly in rural areas. The STEM fields partial exceptions.

.. I'm retired....

-RM

I'm sorry your kidney problem has progressed. As unpleasant as it is my wife and I have been doing some end of life planning and I was surprised that Massachusetts has enacted a homestead protection far more liberal than California. A simple $200 filing for elder homestead on your primary residence deed provides $1,000,000 protection from all claims except taxes and child support, which means no one can take your home for medical expenses.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
:) :cool:

Good reminder.... Everyone should do it. simple form to fill out and submit. I have used it but so long ago, I cant remember on which property I did it. I'll have to double check.

You dont have to be old and aging to need that protection... car accident. Sudden illness, partner - same. Minors get ill. Slip on a banana peel.

THx-Richard

On another thread, Cambridge Audio Dacmagic is the subject of newbie questions - CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO AP25144-1 DACMAGIC 2008 SM Service Manual download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics experts
The schematic shows extensive use of 0805 SMD Thick Film resistors in addition to Melf resistors primarily in the audio output stages.
From what I read it seems that Thick Film resistors are one of the worst types in terms of Tempco and noise.
Anybody have thoughts on why these were spec'd ?.

Dan.

Since the chief designer at Cambridge Audio is Douglas Self, I'm very certain parts were chosen for minimum cost, under the constraint that the final product achieve 10ppm THD at 1kHz. This modus operandi is repeated again and again in the textbooks Self has written.
I can't see Self on their obnoxiously pretentious website: Our team - Cambridge Audio

Ok, I see Self had something to do with Cambridge Audio back in 2006: File:840A Class XD Amplifier White Paper.pdf - Wikimedia Commons

Read this white paper if you enjoy spitting out your beer as your sides split.

Cambridge Audio seems to me to have always been mid-fi and hi-marketing. I see now they are trying to charge up to £5k or so for a beautiful box, which is fine if you like metal table accessories in your home. There must be a lot of Chinese premium box manufacturers supplying the UK now.

Looking at the schematcs (and I have the device as well, BTW), it's only MELF resistors that are used in the audio signal path. There are a few thick film parts in the voltage dividers at the output, but the ones carrying the signal current are again MELF. So they saved a few pence at the output without sacrificing the THD.

Regards,
Braca

Looking at the schematcs (and I have the device as well, BTW), it's only MELF resistors that are used in the audio signal path
MELF can be carbon or metal film !.

...... So they saved a few pence at the output without sacrificing the THD.
Huh, MELF are more expensive than 0805 TF.

What's your subjective opinion of the bass....and overall.
Mark also ?.

Dan.

Mark also ?.

I only listened to the later plus + version. Also, it has been quite awhile since then. Mostly I am left with an impression of some phasiness I recall not liking. Thought it might have been a group delay effect associated with reconstruction. It was a product with some good reviews at a low-ish price that I thought might offer a good price/performance ratio, which possibly it did. But, SQ was not what I was really looking for so back in the box it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.