John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
that is why you do near-field listening. … to minimize/reduce this.

THx-RNMarsh

Actually I was refering to near field. Speakers closer than 6ft to each other are always problematic. If they had some improved controlled directivity it would make it more managaeble.

There are also some concerns with lobbing affect, where you can get disportionate response from some speakers, and may need to raise them. Smaller drivers pushing into the bass can have slightly awkward power response shapes really close to the speaker as well; which is also part of the crossover design. They are partially dependent on the nautrual expansion of the wave as it travels.

Anyways, I have read good things about the LS50 as a nearfield monitor. But IMO they don't do bass too well, even for the FR they have. Probably over damped.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Anyways, I have read good things about the LS50 as a nearfield monitor. But IMO they don't do bass too well, even for the FR they have. Probably over damped.

There are many accurate and specifically developed for near-field monitor speakers ---- an accurate one that some call the Gold Standard is the ADAM A7x ($750 ea.)

or these --https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors/
Dynaudio MB5
Neumann KH 120A

-RM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I see why you quote who you are replying to, so they can't add words after you've replied to them as you have done above by needlessly adding the word "totally" after I replied :p

yep. exaggeration gets attention.

By many persons opinions, they should be totally deaf by now as they are closer than we are to the levels shown. yet, they hear fine.

I hear fine also.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Which again has nothing to do with domestic reproduction as commercial recordings employ considerable fader riding. Hand held readings with a ratshack meter which is known to be seriously off are also hardly credible. Do you really believe everything you read on the internet without question?

Ed I am sure has some proper measurements with calibrated gear, but still has no bearing on what gets recorded, mastered and released for us to replay.

Status
Not open for further replies.