John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, for starters, maybe we should be listening to a mono signal so as not to be confused by stereo effects. I advise people looking for speakers to hear one channel only in order to hear the sound and not the stereo image. "If you like it in mono, you'll like it much more in stereo" for most people.

-Chris

Well, for starters, maybe we should be listening to a mono signal so as not to be confused by stereo effects. I advise people looking for speakers to hear one channel only in order to hear the sound and not the stereo image. "If you like it in mono, you'll like it much more in stereo" for most people.

-Chris
One speaker Mono and one speaker L or R are different cases but instructional nevertheless.
I am currently doing some speaker crossover experimentation and I find that all three above cases are important and individual.
When I have one cabinet sounding 'right' I will duplicate to the other cabinet and experience stereo done 'right'.
There are interesting 'gotchas' and influences in getting good loudspeaker sound.

Dan.

Well, for starters, maybe we should be listening to a mono signal so as not to be confused by stereo effects.

So, maybe the test software should have a user choice of Stereo, Mono, Left, or Right? Route the selected choice to both output channels, presumably?

EDIT: Cross posted with Dan. Think we are probably in basic agreement about listening channel choices. Dan?

Last edited:
Great respect for the effort and devotion and time and energy.... even cleverness. I just find not enough of all that man power and $$$ is being applied to the most important and pressing issues of our time.

THx-RNMarsh

It's always a push pull. We're basking in the largesse of the theoretical ground work of the early 20 th century, so I'd argue we need all types.

Apropos the caps conversation --
For caps/DC coupling: pick your flavor and knock your socks off, both can be made to work well, depending on application. If film foil makes you happy, great. This is diyaudio after all.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Simulations capture life and death of a neutron | Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
This is clearly addressing a pressing need, just not a pressing need we know of yet!

Richard, as you are so fond of LLNL stories, this little snippet.

1960s

Exploration of the peaceful use of nuclear explosives gave rise to bioscience and environmental programs at Livermore.
Biotechnology developments at Livermore and Los Alamos, such as chromosome biomarkers and high-speed cell sorters, enabled the launch of the Human Genome Initiative in 1987. This multi-laboratory initiative grew to become an international endeavor that completed sequencing the human genome in 2000.

No one could have forseen that, but it is one of the most active areas of research to make life better for countless people. Think about it. Structure of DNA discovered in 1953. Complete human genome sequenced by 2000. That is science and engineering at its best. Oh and there being no substitute for cubic dollars :).

Same old wife in the kitchen story Regarding capacitor DA it doesn't produce HD, okay so maybe it produces objectionable linear distortion.

My own experience has been despite what I'd rather be the case. At least I've been able to use it constructively for my own commercial and personal purposes. It's not necessary to be paralyzed into inaction if lacking a full understanding.

Unfortunately, linear distortion is not the complete answer. In my experience clear differences in sound exist (with the same uF values) between high quality dielectrics (PP and PS) for coupling and EQ. Some of this may be due to lead materials and termination (for example CDE 715P and 716P), but not in all cases.

Last edited:
All my experiences as described have been over the course of my lifetime. I would need to design and set up an experiment for this purpose, and buy DUT parts, and equipment for recording (digital, presumably). I will look into this and see. Any suggestions on recorders?

Last edited:
. Any suggestions on recorders?

A good computer sound card is probably best. Whether internal or external would be up to you. In the pretty good but low-price range there is this one:
Product: UH-7000 | TASCAM Or better might be: E22 - Products - Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.

At the UH-7000 end of the spectrum there may be some other recommendations at GearSlutz, if you can figure out who in a thread knows what they are talking about.

Or, if something like that is a deal killer maybe a loaner could be arranged, have to see about that though.

How does that work? Simply please.

Although i have my doubts that certain effects are _only_ detectable in long term listening procedures, this long term approach has some advantages.

Over a prolonged time span several (possibly) confounding effects will more likely average out, which is beneficial.
Environmental factors like ambient noise, fluctuations in main voltage, temperature, humidity and even more important different moods of the listener.

The listener is able to use the DUT in the same way for normal/casual listening as usual, without thinking about any evaluational purpose. Maybe he notices a tendence to listen longer than before, or listen to different music, listens at different volume levels.
It is easier that way to notice a different emotional response.

Edit: Just to name some reasons why it might be beneficial....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.