Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 08:27 PM   #9941
morinix is offline morinix  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Not exactly. Not for cancer. At the other end of the spectrum are things we may define as disease because doctors can diagnose and treat them. And some are more more psychological in nature to begin with. It may help to recall that brains are one organ in the body and all the parts of the system interact in complex ways that are not fully understood. One example: the adrenal gland can affect the mind and the mind can affect the adrenal gland, but things are actually more complex than that.
What about Norman Cousins?
Old Today, 08:40 PM   #9942
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinix View Post
What about Norman Cousins?
Keeping one's mood up helps, no doubt, but it is rarely if ever curative in itself. Also, there are cases of spontaneous remission where no know explanation exists. Unfortunately, people may be too quick to conclude keeping one's self in a more positive frame of mind is the whole story. As we know human brains construct stories of cause and effect based on whatever limited information is available, and the default tendency is to accept such a story as true and factual. Lot of mistaken beliefs are formed that way.
Old Today, 08:42 PM   #9943
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As we know human brains construct stories of cause and effect based on whatever limited information is available, and the default tendency is to accept such a story as true and factual.
And still people waste time and more importantly memory space on DBT
Old Today, 09:00 PM   #9944
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
And still people waste time and more importantly memory space on DBT
yeah, instead of blindly believing their instantaneous hearing (+ visual ..) impressions . What a strange world.
Old Today, 09:05 PM   #9945
diyAudio Member

I believe whatever the doctor tells me
Old Today, 09:25 PM   #9946
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove T View Post
Hm, i think his amps sounds so good, because he participate in DIY on a different level of a nice guy.
Second he never gave bad words for other succesfull designers.
And he seems to be a brillant audio electronics designer with a brilliant marketing strategy.

And at least he learned to suppress discussions with people knowing anything better.

And yes, his products are very pleasant to my ears. Like those ones from JC.
I will never forget my first contact with a Swissmade Mc Kinnie JC 3 Phonostage . I was totally convinced that my Yamaha Preamp C2A integrated Phonostage is the best you can get. Many reviews directed my brain. My taste was much better recflected with the JC-box. No idea why

Maybe the C2A was better in tech Specs, but i kept the JC thing for a long while.

Nowadays we have much better parts with better specs and my ears are no more so good unfortunately, thus i cannot judge really good whats better, just what i like more.
Yes, very true.

My hearing certainly isn't what it was but thankfully I still enjoy listening very much. I mostly concentrate on my speakers these days as I probably wouldn't be able to tell much difference with my other equipment beyond the high enough quality I have at present.

Regards Nelsons philosophy, I love this quote:

"Accusations are occasionally made that objectivists can't hear, and conversely that subjectivists hear things that aren't there. This being the entertainment industry, I hope everyone is having a good time"
Old Today, 10:12 PM   #9947
hhoyt is online now hhoyt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post
No no no no no no no no and no.

Placebo is not medicine. Placebo is placebo. There are myriad psychological effects that are attached to medical care but placebo does not and cannot have a direct mechanism by which it affects a disease. This accepts those psychological effects are extremely real to the person experiencing them, and does not require any form of insincerity.

The parallel between that and audio electronics for reproduction are alarmingly similar, nonetheless. And I wonder if we had the same relationship to our audio designers as we did in terms patient-physician relationship (where placebo is deception/dishonest).

Similarly, it's worrisome to see Deepak Chopra viewed as anything but a crank, well meaning though he may be.

(Not meant to go after you, Howie, and I get your gist, but am vehemently opposed to any suggestion of placebo as medicine)
Hi Dan,
DC is flaky in my estimation as well and FOR SURE placebo is not medicine! My point in posting that link (which I obviously should have spent more time pointing out) was that with bodily perception, placebo treatments can induce perceivable effects. As you stated more succinctly:"This accepts those psychological effects are extremely real to the person experiencing them, and does not require any form of insincerity." I have seen proof this has a strong parallel to some audio perception.

This was a point I made earlier a couple hundred posts ago...that what people think they hear is actually be what they hear, even if it bears little relationship to the audible stimulus at the eardrum.

Thanks for clarifying the point which I failed to do, I was headed out in a rush to do amateur radio tower work, and it was a beautiful day to be at height!

Cheers!
Howie
Old Today, 10:20 PM   #9948
DPH is online now DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not exactly. Not for cancer. At the other end of the spectrum are things we may define as disease because doctors can diagnose and treat them. And some are more more psychological in nature to begin with. It may help to recall that brains are one organ in the body and all the parts of the system interact in complex ways that are not fully understood. One example: the adrenal gland can affect the mind and the mind can affect the adrenal gland, but things are actually more complex than that.
Mark, what direct mechanism is placebo *directly* affecting cancer? Sucrose pill getting converted into glycogen and then via affecting tumor(s) via the Warburg effect? That would be oncogenic, not oncolytic anyhow.

Placebo Effect

I'm not arguing at all that placebo (and nocebo) effects are fake, I'm trying to separate mechanistic effects from other factors.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!