John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
The inductance value diverges when loop area->oo. No cigar, here's why:

The inductance L is defined in terms of the current I flowing through the system and W, the magnetic energy density which is proportional to B^2.

L=(2/I^2)*I(W*do) where I is the integral over the the entire domain O.

Considering B inside the conductor (increases linearly from zero in the center) and outside the conductor (decreases as 1/r), assuming a current source applied to the ends of the wire, and enforcing as a boundary condition the tangential component of the magnetic flux density zero on the exterior boundary, we could in principle calculate the inductance using the above formula. The magnetic energy decreases as 1/r^2 so one would think this makes the integral above converge when the domain expands to oo. Flashnews, it doesn't, the integral diverges, L->oo ( is actually proportional to ln(r) ), therefore the inductance L of a straight single wire is ill defined. So the classic definition of inductance does not apply to the single straight wire inductance.

Sorry jneutron if I messed something in the above, there's quite some time since I last used Mr. Maxwell's work.
When I was coding an arbitrary conductor geometry inductance calculator (the same one I made my moniker with), I found inductance increased infinitely as I increased boundary infinitely. Course, my friend looked at me weird and said...of course, didn't you know that??
Sigh..

I admit, it is hard to follow HV towers playing jump rope.:D

Jn

Ps.. Playing with my mini mill now...3 axis dro, really cool fun stuff..I wil admit, trying to figure out how to work an android tablet left me screaming at the display...

Swipe up??? Who swipes up???? Arrrrggghhh!!!

PPS... None of you have any idea how well off you are... I'm on my patio under the umbrella enjoying some Meomi pino noir...there is a band two blocks away in town playing "I will survive".
OMG.:eek::eek:
I like the song, I played it in clubs when it actually came out...

I am going to be sick...:D worse than karaoke.

Last edited:
JN

We are going to disagree on Maxwell, after all it clearly doesn't cover beurblebees, and I have trouble believing any model is absolute.

As to air breakdown, one certainly could use tubes instead of solid wire, but you would still run into a limit where the tube walls would become too thin relatively speaking to resist damage from issues such as wind. Besides it probably is cheaper to run a second set of arms and more wire.

BTY power lines don't always see dry air! I assume you have seen some of the test equipment the HV power equipment guys and gal use to develop and test the gear. Kind of puts some of the Hollywood movie props to shame.

Last edited:
JN

We are going to disagree on Maxwell, after all it clearly doesn't cover beurblebees, and I have trouble believing any model is absolute.
WE do not disagree on Maxwell...your friend on the other hand, is incorrect...

As to air breakdown, one certainly could use tubes instead of solid wire, but you would still run into a limit where the tube walls would become too thin relatively speaking to resist damage from issues such as wind. Besides it probably is cheaper to run a second set of arms and more wire.
No... The voltage gradient external to the conductor has nothing to do with the inside of the wire. Is is based only on the diameter externally.
BTY power lines don't always see dry air!
agreed. However, the gradient based on geometry is the concern.
Jn

.....I saw a meter length of solid silver coax cable..... THEN, for years I puzzled over WHY this cable sounded so bright? I couldn't measure anything, so I passed it over to a hi fi dealer for an independent opinion, and they thought it was bright sounding too: Too bright! What a concept, something that I could not measure, sounding different?
My latest round of 'controversial' loopback recordings nicely illustrates brightening caused by silver, and a different dulling/damped sound caused by gold.
Both is an interesting and useful combination, not optimal perhaps but does instill a mood or vibe.

There are lots of experiences like this, so I use better than common hardware store cables, including Kimber with my Met 7's, front, Monster with my Met 7's rear, and Cardas (Enid Lumley's former personal cable) for my serious listening Wilson Sasha speakers. I will never go back to zip cord.
White (titanium dioxide pigment) insulated zip cord sounds pretty good and better than say gray insulation.

Dan.

Then I saw a meter length of solid silver coax cable for $30! Can any of you imagine paying so much for a meter length of cable at that time? '-) Still, it fit in my suitcase, so I bought it and took it home. THEN, for years I puzzled over WHY this cable sounded so bright? I couldn't measure anything, so I passed it over to a hi fi dealer for an independent opinion, and they thought it was bright sounding too.

You should send the cable for burn-in in Pennsylvania for 6 months. It will then have a darker, tarnished sound.

The silver cable DID get better over years of use. I first used it with a NAK cassette recorder, because it(the NAK) was softer sounding. It was lost in the firestorm of '91, but it did sound smoother after years of use. Of course, My CTC Blowtorch is all silver wired, but it was also broken in even before I first got it. Break-in was mandatory with our silver wire that we used. I wish I could buy some more. I only have a small length, that I sometimes make short jumpers of the highest quality for my best clients.

Last edited:
the signal flows through connectors, copper and silver wires, copper/lead?/tin on circuit boards, passive and semiconductor parts, but it is the silver wire than makes the audio music softer sounding = how can that be Dr. Einstein?
Your infatuation with silver wire and teflon boards is remarkable, cheers to you.
I do ask, what else was "was lost in the firestorm of '91", some common sense maybe? :)

the signal flows through connectors, copper and silver wires, copper/lead?/tin on circuit boards, passive and semiconductor parts, but it is the silver wire than makes the audio music softer sounding = how can that be Dr. Einstein?
Your infatuation with silver wire and teflon boards is remarkable, cheers to you.
I do ask, what else was "was lost in the firestorm of '91", some common sense maybe? :)
The NAK cassette recorder was soft sounding not the silver cable, you failed reading and comprehension 101.
Dan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.