Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2018, 02:01 AM   #9891
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Yes that must be it. Remind NASA to check the personality of everything on the James Webb telescope before they launch it. They might have some slightly cheeky resistors in there that will mess up the pictures.
My first boss at MIT is now in charge of TESS (the exoplanet survey satellite), I'll have see what he thinks. They did send a package up with Energizer D cells as back up power (they don't work at -55C).
Old 19th November 2018, 02:05 AM   #9892
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just too cheap compared to the Naim Statement.
I see both rated at ~1HP how British could you be? Design of stuff like this is amazingly uninteresting.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 19th November 2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 19th November 2018, 02:16 AM   #9893
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Sadly though, Someone will buy it.
Old 19th November 2018, 02:33 AM   #9894
morinix is offline morinix  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes that must be it. Remind NASA to check the personality of everything on the James Webb telescope before they launch it. They might have some slightly cheeky resistors in there that will mess up the pictures.
That word “art” shows up again. The Art and Science of Optical Design by Robert R. Shannon
Old 19th November 2018, 02:38 AM   #9895
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinix View Post
I figure if you did a web search there is an "art of" book for any discipline you could ever think of.
Old 19th November 2018, 05:33 AM   #9896
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi tapestryofsound,
My father did use the large 2 1/4" square formats, but he also used 35mm and taught me a lot. I was lucky to have spent a large amount of time with my father when he was in Canada. As a young kid, I tagged along quite often. He had friends in England and the USSR as well. So he was both pleased and annoyed when I got a higher award at a Nikon photography contest once. He normally did much better than I did, but I did get an award of excellence from Nikon. I use an F-90x these days. I used an FT2 back in the 70's.

My father eventually sold his photography business and got into promotional advertising instead. So I eventually did spend a lot of time with him. I have no negative feelings to transfer to you. They simply don't exist. I do have a lot of respect for him, especially looking back from an experienced vantage point. My brother and I both ran our own businesses, probably because our father did so it had no bad connotations for us. My brother still has his own business, I'm still doing my thing on my own. My brother is a lot more successful than I am. It has cost him though.

While my father worked with the large format cameras (he used a Hasselblad camera most of the time), he did some portrait work as well as disaster photos. He later collected cameras and pens. He favoured Leica cameras and Nikon in the 35 mm format. He taught me a lot about composition and lighting, plus darkroom work. We had a darkroom in the house along with the large print dryer. I figure I was a very lucky kid. Never a dull moment. His catalog still sells, less now but there is still interest in his library of shots.

So what do I use for most of my work? A Nikon Coolpix S800. It is used as my memory when working on equipment and to document my work for myself.

-Chris
Old 19th November 2018, 05:54 AM   #9897
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Sadly though, Someone will buy it.
If they want me to buy it , they should make part of the case optically transparent.

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Naim.jpg (155.5 KB, 195 views)
Old 19th November 2018, 06:17 AM   #9898
john curl is online now john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

I like to see 'statement' amplifiers, just like I like to read about performance sports cars. I may not be able to afford them, but I can study them, and perhaps learn something new. I make fairly expensive amps these days, but not all-out quite yet. I consider a 'statement' amp, like my phono designs for Constellation to be a real design challenge. What is the 'best' approach? Can you make something that is really better than something else, whether at the same price point, or maybe everything that is less expensive? I bet that Porsche and Ferrari designers have the same concerns.

Last edited by john curl; 19th November 2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 19th November 2018, 06:59 AM   #9899
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

I am not sure if the car/amplifier equivalent makes sense. However, I agree, that rather than Porsche or Ferrari we often discuss a Mercedes-Benz 500K design approach here.

Mercedes-Benz 500K - Wikipedia

Nothing against it, it was a wonderful car and I like it

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th November 2018, 07:45 AM   #9900
chris719 is online now chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

The modern Porsche and Ferrari design processes are the exact opposite of "high-end" audio. They are data-driven and rely on extensive FEM simulation of every component. They have objective targets. Ferrari has multiple of their own state-of-the-art datacenters just for their F1 program.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!