Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2018, 12:20 AM   #9591
Terry Demol is offline Terry Demol  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
I follow it close enough, John.

I actually own a BenchMark ADC1/DAC3 and dont use a computer and soundcard at all for recording and playback. Other than to download HD files. But my questioning is for the wider audience. Even the average consumer. And, sometimes, i want to be the average consumer and not have to worry about all this to get the highest music accuracy I can.

That does not seem possible today at prices most would be willing to pay. So, I dont see a path for average next gen peoples to get to a higher audio sound quality.

All the people trying to make the digital part of the system work smoothly and best quality is exactly what we did when the analog was all. I look forward to their discoveries and improvements. Digital POOGE?

-Richard
I would advise to try HQPlayer.

You can do your Poo-ging with the various modulators and filters etc.

https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

It takes control of OS and shuts everything that doesn't need to be running.
It is pretty much the best quality audio you can get out of a computer ATM - the rest is hardware dependent.
It has far superior digital filters, modulators and OP's whatever format you desire.
DSD up to 1024 x and PCM up to 32 bit / 1.5MHz.

I know people who have achieved really high quality sound with a fairly cheap DAC, for example, by using HQP
and converting to DSD256, as such most of the DAC's filters etc are bypassed. There are many possibilities.

T

Last edited by Terry Demol; 14th November 2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 14th November 2018, 12:34 AM   #9592
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerrill99 View Post
Semantic disingenuousness, yet again!!
I thought I've been trying to make some useful suggestions. I honestly was asking how one determines the low limit on the sensitivity of a test like this.
Old 14th November 2018, 12:36 AM   #9593
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Demol View Post
I would advise to try HQPlayer.
Richard may want to do other things besides run a player. Maybe speaker cross-overs, and corrective EQ, for example. Does HQPlayer do all that too?
Old 14th November 2018, 12:39 AM   #9594
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I honestly was asking how one determines the low limit on the sensitivity of a test like this.
Likely at least part of the reason Earl said new tests would have to be developed for the 5%.

Also, before deciding on files to compare there would also be the issue of what hardware would be needed. DAC-3 and AHB2? What else?
Old 14th November 2018, 12:43 AM   #9595
CG is offline CG
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Aren't they more phase coherent?
Phase coherence is a quality of the signal. Google has a zillion explanations.

I have no idea how an audio amplifier may or may not be phase coherent. A marketing term?
Old 14th November 2018, 12:48 AM   #9596
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Also, before deciding on files to compare there would also be the issue of what hardware would be needed. DAC-3 and AHB2? What else?
Then PMA is wasting his time, as it is folks opening foobar and plugging a headphone into their laptop are included.
Old 14th November 2018, 12:51 AM   #9597
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post

Surely that's jumping the gun a bit and assuming that there is something special about the DAC3 that only the '5%' can hear? Given how much the likes of Geddes, Toole etc poo poo expensive electronics I would be interested how you would persuade them that this was needed over one costing 1/10 the price?
Old 14th November 2018, 12:58 AM   #9598
mmerrill99 is offline mmerrill99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I thought I've been trying to make some useful suggestions. I honestly was asking how one determines the low limit on the sensitivity of a test like this.
You said that users needed to be warned about Foobar use on Windows - possible resampling happening (not to mention the lowish quality internal soundcard). By this I assumed that you recognize any 'tests' run with resampling are not valid tests. Therefore if such a test returned a null, what is it telling you - nothing, it's not a valid test, Agreed?

I said that there were no internal controls in Foobar ABX to allow us ascertain if this resampling happened. Similarly nothing to tell us if the internal soundcard is suitably useable for the test. Similarly nothing to tell us other possible issues in the running of the test. In general, there are no internal controls for self-verification of the test. Without these basic controls, we cannot even get to the calibration necessary for sensitivity testing of Foobar ABX

I think we've been through the ideas about this before but if there's no internal controls as above, there's really no point in even discussing this as it's not verifiable that during the test the sensitivity that was established at calibration stage is still in operation during the test

Last edited by mmerrill99; 14th November 2018 at 01:03 AM.
Old 14th November 2018, 12:58 AM   #9599
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Surely that's jumping the gun a bit and assuming that there is something special about the DAC3 that only the '5%' can hear?
No, not at all. Just says most dacs don't reproduce small details well. Small details have to be reproduced accurately before someone tries to see if they can hear them.

Last edited by Markw4; 14th November 2018 at 01:03 AM.
Old 14th November 2018, 12:58 AM   #9600
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Given the idea appears to be testing amps it is ironic

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!