Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2018, 08:51 PM   #9511
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Bill,
Interesting, but presumably unintended implications.
Sorry totally confused.
Old 12th November 2018, 08:57 PM   #9512
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Yeah, recording mikes are not the measuring mikes. Second, it is pretty difficult for frequencies >20kHz to find its path to the eardrum and make some stimulation there.
Skull conduction? Still begs the question, why? Unless you listen to a lot of cymbals there isn't much up there
Old 12th November 2018, 09:00 PM   #9513
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Most microphones have other useful characteristics. For example, RIBBON microphones are very often used for human voice. Why? Other microphones are directional, or more convenient to operate than B&K omni mikes, but Crystal Clear did many, many recordings with B&K 1/2" mikes, as have several others.
More convenient to operate? I take it your recording experience is very limited. Ribbons ARE directional, figure 8 pattern and I've never seen one used on vocals. And u87 have multiple patterns including omni. It's the inaccuracies that make studio microphones special that's why they have so many. John, stick to talking about designing electronics, and let the recording engineers tell people about recording.
Old 12th November 2018, 09:12 PM   #9514
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Sorry totally confused.
You would have been embarrassed if you had made a statement that actually came from PMA (according to Jakob2). So, might that suggest you think PMA should be embarrassed instead?
Old 12th November 2018, 09:13 PM   #9515
diyAudio Member

I thought you were into keeping the peace?
Old 12th November 2018, 09:26 PM   #9516
diyAudio Member

I said it looked like there were unintended implications. Bill asked about it, so guess I needed to clarify.

In addition, I do not expect Bill to say it meant that PMA should be embarrassed. It just struck me as odd since I don't recall Bill ever criticizing (the ideas of) PMA. Of course, that only means I don't recall.
Old 12th November 2018, 09:28 PM   #9517
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdb View Post
Ribbons ARE directional, figure 8 pattern and I've never seen one used on vocals. ...stick to talking about designing electronics, and let the recording engineers tell people about recording.
Does that apply to the following quote as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
To be fair the crooner sound popular in the 40's was better served by ribbons.
Old 12th November 2018, 09:32 PM   #9518
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I said it looked like there were unintended implications.
Which you didn't need to I think perhaps I tend to say things I don't need to as well... Still, sometimes one thing can lead to another which can be interesting....so long as no one gets hurt of course
Old 12th November 2018, 09:38 PM   #9519
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob2 View Post
I see, i should have expressed myself better ; what i meant was, that if you belong to the group that have better listening abilities _and_ is interested in better audio reproduction quality then it more likely to find you in a special interest group like diyaudio.
I understand what you mean, but still not sure I agree. However this is most definately a beer level conversation now

Quote:
Canīt dispute that, but wanted to point out that imo the "extremity" isnīt the problem. I follow these discussions since the mid 1980s and the argumentation pattern have been more or less the same. The basis for stating the nonaudibility of some effects is and was always the thresholds of hearing and while neglecting the probability nature of these so-called thresholds (which are in fact anything else than thresholds ) everything allegedly violating the threshold rule was considered as being "extreme" .
Yeah, I feared this argument had been going on for even longer than I had realised. Until I joined here I had managed my adult life in blissful ignorance of the tribalism around this particular point and the total inability to reach any form of common understanding. Makes Brexit seem easy to negotiate!

Quote:
The important part would be the "can or cannot hear something" because that is reduced to the "cannot" if only negative results are accepted.
So, does it make sense (from an objective viewpoint) to demand controlled "blind" tests if only negative results are accepted?
I agree with you on that. I just don't know how to break the circle.
Old 12th November 2018, 09:41 PM   #9520
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Does that apply to the following quote as well?
The RCA 44-BX ribbon is well known and loved for many Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, Cab Calloway, etc. recordings. NEVER is simply too simplistic here, it is possible that no one (or few) do it in contemporary recording practice.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!