Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2018, 06:22 PM   #9501
mmerrill99 is offline mmerrill99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
That's what makes it fun, and people like space and merrill who habitually misrepresent what people say and situations, I wonder whether they know even that they're doing it half the time, but, as you say, none of it really matters and.......... no one gets hurt
I've asked you before & you failed to produce any evidence of your claim about me - I'm asking again - care to point out an example to back up your assertion?

If you fail to do so I would ask you to desist from this.
Old 12th November 2018, 06:25 PM   #9502
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Bill,
Interesting, but presumably unintended implications.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BillQuoteRePMA.jpg (70.3 KB, 211 views)
Old 12th November 2018, 06:29 PM   #9503
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Are you so forgetful? Others aren't, I can't be bothered to go trawling back over stuff to provide you with evidence of what you and others already know, what's the point? Coming over all innocent doesn't cut it anymore. It doesn't matter....space will probably get a bee in his bonnet too, again he knows what I'm talking about.
Old 12th November 2018, 06:29 PM   #9504
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

Hang in there Markw4 and 99, but I just can't put the energy into attempting in proving the 'unprovable' i.e. whether I hear differences that I talk about, whether Jack Bybee knows what he is doing, etc. I am just going to keep going, and report in when something comes up that I feel might be shared with others.
Old 12th November 2018, 06:36 PM   #9505
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Hang in there Markw4 and 99, but I just can't put the energy into attempting in proving the 'unprovable'
This is the point, even if you "prove" it someone will "prove" that you haven't by undermining the test procedure by saying something like...oh...I don't know....it wasn't scientific enough for my liking.
Old 12th November 2018, 07:06 PM   #9506
waltzingbear is offline waltzingbear  United States
diyAudio Member

And we haven't even begun to introduce the more recent work on placebo effect into the mix.

back to lurk

Cheers
Alan
Old 12th November 2018, 07:25 PM   #9507
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
How can we PROVE something like 40KHz response is MANDATORY? We can't, and don't have to, but John Meyer and I have been working with 40KHz response microphones for the last 45 years. Where have you been, PMA? Mark Levinson too, and George Quellet of Stellavox. Just check out B&K 1/2" microphones or their equivalent. Is that bandwidth totally necessary always? Of course not, only just IF you want the most accurate reproduction.
And those mics are almost never used in a recording studio. This is the gold standard in studios for almost 70 years. Freq response graph at bottom.

https://en-de.neumann.com/u-87-ai#technical-data

Most engineers will filter out anything not in the instruments range. Why keep noise below 100hz in a recording of a female vocal? And the best filters are microphones.
Old 12th November 2018, 07:44 PM   #9508
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdb View Post
And the best filters are microphones.
With the classic HF peak. A lot of microphones that recordists love have a "presence" peak. To be fair the crooner sound popular in the 40's was better served by ribbons.
Old 12th November 2018, 07:48 PM   #9509
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

Most microphones have other useful characteristics. For example, RIBBON microphones are very often used for human voice. Why? Other microphones are directional, or more convenient to operate than B&K omni mikes, but Crystal Clear did many, many recordings with B&K 1/2" mikes, as have several others.
Old 12th November 2018, 07:50 PM   #9510
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Yeah, recording mikes are not the measuring mikes. Second, it is pretty difficult for frequencies >20kHz to find its path to the eardrum and make some stimulation there.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!