John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take, for example, this sentence of Bruno P., which I consider controversial and which is often presented as a verse of the Koran or the Bible: "If you use global feedback, use a lot.".
The context is important, IIRC it was counter to the levels of feedback common at the time which were exactly in the region to likely cause instability/distortions?

Take, for example, this sentence of Bruno P., which I consider controversial and which is often presented as a verse of the Koran or the Bible: "If you use global feedback, use a lot.".

We could discuss the pros and cons of both solutions (no or little feedback VF high level one).

No we can't; at least not before you and your next of audio kin have a crash course in feedback principles and math and can subsequently have an educated conversation about (assuming it would be needed, which would already be an extraordinary situation). And consider the same negative feedback is used to retrieve -160dB signals from the Deep Space Network and reproduce them with no distortions to speak of. Or control LIGO, essentially a 200dB gain parametric amplifier.

Last edited:
Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson, Taylor Swift, Jessie J., KE$HA, Miley Cyrus, Avril Lavigne, Maroon 5, Taio Cruz, Ellie Goulding, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Ariana Grande, Justin Timberlake, Nick Minaj, Celine Dion, Bon Jovi, Usher, Adam Lambert, Justin Bieber, Domino, Pink, Pitbull, One Direction, Flo Rida, Paris Hilton, The Veronicas, R. Kelly, Zebrahead

With only two people writing much of what we hear, is it any wonder music sounds the same, using the same hooks, riffs and electric drum effects?

See - The Tragic Decline of Music Literacy (and Quality) | Intellectual Takeout

Hx-RNMarsh

I read the article as wilful nonsense. After my teenage years, I stopped listening to contemporary pop music altogether, because there is, always was, and always will be incredibly good music to find out there.

The real culprit of so called musical illiteracy is a lack of investment in children's education in the arts and music - otherwise deemed as 'frivolous' activities. It has been consistently proven all over the world that irrespective of a child's artistic or musical ability, creative activity improves academic achievement, encourages social bonding, and teaches children that life can be fun, as well as hard work.

ToS

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
@Scott, my data points are from Tomlinson Holman's 'Dynamic Range Requirements of Phonographic Preamplifiers' (Audio, July 1977).

I don't doubt that the spectral energy in music drops off quickly at HF or that looking at this data in the time domain might give one an alternative insight into what is going on.

I've used the Holman paper as a reference wrt worst case phono amp levels getting back into this audio stuff for about 15 years ago. The Holman paper talks about 'hot' records i.e. ones that are cut at high levels and/or have high levels of HF from e.g. cymbal crashes (see Table 1). Separately, two records were measured that showed peak outputs of 80cm/sec at c. 2.8 kHz and the second 105 cm/sec at c. 7 kHz.

The minimum overload capability recommended in the paper is 100mV at 1kHz - so c. 33x or 30 dB for a typical 3mV output MM cart. The overload figure reference signal levels on the record at LF are even higher at 35mV to account for worst case warp and resonances. These figures (1kHz and LF) were arrived at by looking at levels across many records.

:)

Last edited:
Not to mention - what is "pop" anyway? I'm always suspicious of genre classifications, usually means someone is trying to influence your thinking an a bad way...

OK, a warm crumb ........ pop music is whatever you leave behind from an extended childhood. I happen to like pop music, I just don't listen to it anymore. At the moment I am listening to Miwon, later I will be listening to Glenn Gould, tomorrow I shall be listening to Paco Osuna. Whatever takes my fancy, makes me think, or just get up and dance.

Yes, I'm such a bad person - nothing going down for me as a social justice warrior, eh? Enjoy your discussion, and next time try not to quote me out of context.

ToS

Account Closed
Joined 2010
The best phono preamps i heard of had +-43/ +-35v power supply with less than 100mv dc offset at the output before the coupling capacitor measured after 3 decades since they were manufactured.You can't use their output to get into any sound card without a compressor or a noise gate.

Yet the usual +-17...18v without dc offset control can give you enough quality if you keep the records clean.
Unfortunately this is a bit difficult for most of us.

More on this i'm buying into Scott's soft compression if it works as in valve preamps.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
OK, a warm crumb ........ pop music is whatever you leave behind from an extended childhood. I happen to like pop music, I just don't listen to it anymore. At the moment I am listening to Miwon, later I will be listening to Glenn Gould, tomorrow I shall be listening to Paco Osuna. Whatever takes my fancy, makes me think, or just get up and dance.

Yes, I'm such a bad person - nothing going down for me as a social justice warrior, eh? Enjoy your discussion, and next time try not to quote me out of context.

ToS

I didn't quote you out of context. You referred to pop music, so I commented on the concept of genres... I said nothing bad about you...

Status
Not open for further replies.