Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 03:01 AM   #8751
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I was told by an ophthalmologist to definitely not have an MRI, or go near the field, it seems that my eyes are now like the rings of Saturn after a stint making some metal parts for a defense contractor years ago.

I can’t stand to wash coffee making equipment with detergent...
Old Today, 03:22 AM   #8752
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

NOW, you tell me. I just went into the tunnel of MRi. Didnt feel anything.

-RNM
Old Today, 03:57 AM   #8753
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

The warning is for those of us who have worked around enough magnetic material to have bits in our bodies. The pieces can move or heat up in the magnet field.
Old Today, 04:11 AM   #8754
jneutron is offline jneutron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
The warning is for those of us who have worked around enough magnetic material to have bits in our bodies. The pieces can move or heat up in the magnet field.
Magnetic bits can certainly be pulled by forces if they have high permeability.
Non magnetic, no. However, the eddy currents will fight rate of change of field. A stainless schelera buckle (sp) will fight movement, so can destroy eye tissue. A surgeon tried surgery in the field with a stainless scalpel. It fought his motion, and when he pushed hard the scalpel got very hot. They do not want mascara in the field, if it has any conductivity from the carbon black, it can heat due to blinking, which causes more blinking.
The biggest problem is the conductivity blurs the imaging.

Jn
Old Today, 06:27 AM   #8755
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
These wouldn't by any chance survive being photographed?. Dan you continue to quote results without mention of controls of "secret"devices with no details and no tangible evidence but repeated reports of what your mates said.
Hi Scott.
The meniscus and trails should be photographable, the change in colour would be trickier in getting lighting and the right angles through the glass to reveal the changes.
The change in clarity is from typical 'turbulent' to a most unusual ruby/diamond like clarity/coherence.
Scott, at this stage I cannot reveal details for a number of reasons, but in time this will be forthcoming.

I'm off to a sound off between two staff engineers, both well experienced with 50k+ audiences doing their versions of a live (virtual) mix with an old school Aus vocalist on mic.
I am going to give one engineer an 'advantage' lol, this is going to be a whole lotta fun, more later.

Dan.
Old Today, 07:12 AM   #8756
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
It appears that Dan, Richard and I are under surveillance by the 'audio police'. I recommend to you other suspects out there to not 'audio Jaywalk' or commit another such crime. '-)
Are you forgetting me?
Old Today, 07:21 AM   #8757
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Hi Joe.
Here in Perth according to age of suburb, it's normal to measure 245V at the wall socket, very often 250V, sometimes 255V....old 250V AC standard.

This item of yours would drop AC to 220V<230V which is ball park for European AC voltage devices. For Tube amp transformer/rectifier derived HT supply the mains voltage is important, I expect this box provides safe operation of Euro tube gear on WA mains supply, and any claimed filtering is a bonus.

Dan.
Hi Dan

You might be right, but it does say 'Power Supply Conditioner' - so if I have a haircut, does that mean my hair being cut is the same as having a conditioner applied? Or maybe that one went over your head? Sorry, bad pun.

Busy getting ready for travelling and being at ETF18 next month. My discussion paper on the nature of current and back-EMF in speakers is done, so sending that ahead to... well, a limited list. You are on it. But should have some interesting discussions. It was looked at by a physicist who is known in loudspeaker circles and to make sure the fundamentals are right. Got a pass.

Joe
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #8758
indra1 is offline indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
... at this stage I cannot reveal details for a number of reasons, but in time this will be forthcoming....
Dan, the food and beverage sector is larger than audio. Success of your "Treatment" in food business will bring way more for you. Maybe you should contact some famous chefs for a demonstration.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!