John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Poor choice of words on my part. I should have said 'Demrow INA' but figured more people would be aware of the implementation in the AD524. With the ZTX851 and a good low noise opamp with enough current drive you get MC noise performance good enough for most sane MCs. And it's balanced which I personally consider a must have.

Ahh. Ok got it.

With my recent experience with the Kef LS50 (with and without sub) I'm more and more convinced of the low correlation between measured response curves and listening impressions when speakers assemblies are in concern.
While those little speakers shows, in my room, a descending frequency curve, my auditive impression is in total opposition.

The way the speakers react to the micro-dynamic, their speed of rise, their temporal tailings, their variations of group delay, the way they "push" the air depending of their diameter, their various distortions with frequencies, all this has an influence on our feelings about frequencies "linearity".
Not to mention that our brains are able, in a certain way to compensate the room effects, basses apart, that a mike is not able to do.

I do not know anyone who would have the means, the courage and the time to engage himself in real objective and complete studies, a whole range of complex measurements, simply to optimize his system in his listening room, while it is so simple to trust what we perceive, with your own experience and requirements and try to make the listening more agreeable and accurate.

If the comparison between the response curve measured in free field and that measured in situation can help us reduce the main acoustic defects of our listening room, it seems to me vain to flatten this curve using a microphone placed at the listening position with an equalizer: it leads to a horror.

Can-we remove a problem by acting on other effects ?

Last edited:
I do not know anyone who would have the means, the courage and the time to engage himself in real objective and complete studies, a whole range of complex measurements, simply to optimize his system in his listening room, while it is so simple to trust what we perceive, with your own experience and requirements and try to make the listening more agreeable and accurate.
Then I suggest you have a look at wesayso's thread. Although since I'm on your ignore list you won't see this post. Oh well, one tries to help..........

Is that a question for me? I'm just reporting back as it was suggested I ask him. It's no problem, although it would have been nice to see some evidence for the extraordinary claims of the benefits of this method.
But as you already know, their rebuttal is, not everything we hear can be measured because our ears are far more complex than any measuring tools out there so trust your ears (while doing sighted comparison). ;)

John, hundred posts ago you mentioned the gentleman, who tunes listening rooms. Was it Bob Hodas?

Bob is a well respected acoustician in the studio world. I have been in several of the rooms he has designed and or treated. Simply put, job well done.

The person they were talking about is into getting the best out of existing rooms, not what Bob does at all. Or rather Bob does it by adding/removing or changing room treatment. Or he starts at the beginning and designs the room with you.

Cheers
Alan

Bob is a well respected acoustician in the studio world. I have been in several of the rooms he has designed and or treated. Simply put, job well done.

The person they were talking about is into getting the best out of existing rooms, not what Bob does at all. Or rather Bob does it by adding/removing or changing room treatment. Or he starts at the beginning and designs the room with you.

Cheers
Alan
That makes more sense, Stirling doesn't tune the room, in fact he told me that he removed a significant amount of the acoustic treatment from a client's room

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.