Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 08:23 PM   #8131
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Cancellation of H2 speaker distortion by inverse phase of amp distortion is an illusion, in a real world.
Old Today, 08:34 PM   #8132
indra1 is offline indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

I hope you can elaborate a bit more. Thank you.
Old Today, 09:08 PM   #8133
morinix is offline morinix  United States
diyAudio Member

Some source material needs added 2nd harmonics. It's nice if it can be switchable.
Old Today, 09:47 PM   #8134
wayne is offline wayne  United States
Auburn
diyAudio Member

I have had cable directionality demonstrated to me as a measurement. It was due to poor cable design and construction. I don't know if it was audible or not but it could be measured and was also position dependent.
Old Today, 09:57 PM   #8135
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
harmonic distortion will add spaciousness to the sound. Makes it appear to have wider and deeper sound stage.
Some people introduce it just for that affect.
but it is not accuarte reproduction.
This is getting fun (and entertaining) now.
Old Today, 10:33 PM   #8136
Max Headroom is online now Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
I dont want those... i am sure they are directional via shield. I want the same ones talked about here by Max.
Hi Richard, the cables currently in question are RG59 fitted with elcheapo RCA plugs.
This RG59 is solid centre core with braided outer and no platings, white polyethylene centre dielectric and black PVC sheath.
My first experience with cable directional properties was back in my early days.
I soldered both ends of a length of cheap shielded cable (thin hobby store type) to a turntable, cut the loop and soldered two RCA plugs.

The result was that stereo did not quite centre and the balance control did not cure this !.
I tore my hair out trying every diagnostic to trace the reason and came up cold (because I believed that cables cannot be directional).
At a friends Hi-Fi store I was shown the effect of reversing one interconnect and Bingo, there was the problem with my turntable.
As soon as I got home I reversed one length of the TT cable, refitted the RCA plug and problem solved, and a lesson I have never forgotten.

So that is three examples of directional effect causative cables.
Tonight I will try a few shoelace type OEM RCA cables and see if these are directional also.
I also have a high quality 2RCA marked OFC/OHNO and marked for direction cable that I will try but I don't listen to it because it sounds coloured and all wrong/awful.

The effect to listen out for is 'similarish' to flipping speaker cable polarity at the speaker end, 'same but different' and of course much less magnitude of effect and in the low level details not so much the large amplitude sounds.

Dan.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!