John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I measured it at my listening location in my home. It was unusually flat 40Hz to 20KHz.
Hi Richard, these may interest you to measure how hard your JBL's can go (bragging rights too lol).
January 21, 2019 - Meyer Sound Introduces M-Noise Test Signal
M-Noise - Theory 9Min
M-Noise - Practical 14Min
7:19 - m-sound - PN.png
4:55 - "If you can't hear this difference you need a different career" LOL.

Dan.

I hope for you that the level of parasitic HF in your amp do not reach such a level that it can change the headroom !

It is more about the HF level delivered by the source; a NOS device will most likely often present mirror images that are only attenuated by the zero-order hold amplitude weighing. Additionally, it surely will produce in-band IMDs (if high-level frequencies were present in the upper audio-band region).

Looking at the graphs, DSD-noise above 20 kHz reaches surprising levels too.

@ Chris719,

given the age of diffmaker, I´m sure that it was a 32-bit executable.

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
I occasionally buy them to rip if I can't find lossless versions online, but I've gotten in the habit of throwing the CD away once I rip it and verify the checksum.

Me too, except I keep them for posterity. But then the Boss will tell you I never throw anything away.......
I never actually play a CD, just rip it and add to the streamer server. When the last CD player died it wasn't replaced.

What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits © Doobie Brothers

I have finished to read the thread about JBL M2 VS Revell listening comparisons and the thread "Preference for Direct Radiators".

Trying to figure out what was behind the comments of those blind tests participants, I noticed that:
- Most of the participants seems to prefer a more large "sound stage". That I translate like more room reflections. (The mono seance is reveling). They dislike the M2 with mono sources because it was "mono" (no enlargement)
- 3 members on the 16 recognize systematically and prefer the M2, while the others seems to change their preferences according to the piece of music played.

I concluded that all the participant do not look at the same things. The majority is looking for a more agreeable reproduction (we can think to them as "consumers"). While the 3 with 100% accuracy) are looking to an more ... accurate one, even if it reveal defects on the sources with a sharper experience . I think of them as "professionals".
My poor English do not help to explain what i want to say in an easy way. If, between two records, a speaker will sound a lot different, while an other will present more agreeable reproduction of the bad source and a better one of the good source, I will chose the one that is less "indulgent" and underline more the differences, despite one of the two sources is less agreeable to listen too. An other guy will change its preference between the two.

This comment seems to confirm my hypothesis:
Obviously, all of this is subjective, but to me the Vandersteens sound more "euphonic" when listened to at a distance. There's additional ambiance that seems to be generated by the much wider directivity.

I noticed too that no participant was never complaining about any "horn sound" about the JBL.

To give a car comparison, a pilot driver will chose the sport car, less comfortable but that allows-him to feel all the defects of the road, while the average driver the Rolls Royce, more silent, comfortable, that erase the defects of the roads.

I'm on the way to order a pair of KEF LS50 to can listen some records that I like music, while my system underscores the mixing errors too sharply.
I will use-it to listen to TV because, with my big system, there is, among other things, an inconsistency between the size of the screen and that of the sound stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.