John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ed, it must be the changing effect of the gravitational changes as the moon phase is driven across the sky by the chariots of the gods.

ok, I can't keep that up.....

JC

But as to the quality of Gotham cable it is well known in the pro recording world. It was for decades the cable shipped with Neumann microphones. High quality Swiss engineered construction of good quality parts.

I believe their quality is mostly in the consistency and mechanically stable structure of the final product. So, if you are looking for hook up wire as in single conductor wire, they are not much use, although their conductors are good clean cooper and flexible. But the AWG tends to run in the 28 gage size.

I have had unsolicited comments on their single ended cable from guitar players. It is a cable constructed to minimize movement or tribolelectric noise. But that is for outside the box, not hook up wire. And it comes in nice pretty colors too!

But the best way to find out more about Gotham is to call Lewis, usually quite willing to talk about things cable. Been doing it for several decades.
Gotham Audio LLC ~ The exclusive American and Canadian importer for Gotham Audio Cables

Cheers
Alan

but Ed Simon has actually measured and heard directionality in cables.

I don't remember listening tests and the noise level of the plots made the claims hard to swallow. These effects are not observed in scientific instruments orders of magnitude more sensitive than any audio pre-amp. I'll take notice when the results are presented in Physics Letters.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't remember listening tests and the noise level of the plots made the claims hard to swallow. These effects are not observed in scientific instruments orders of magnitude more sensitive than any audio pre-amp. I'll take notice when the results are presented in Physics Letters.

First place you'd probably see it is LIGO if it existed.

First place you'd probably see it is LIGO if it existed.

No need to belabor this it will go nowhere. I was doing some archive reading today actually found two 1968-70 references to slew rate and full power BW and distortion in the IEEE literature. But the most funny was Bruce Wooly's coining of the first acronym for circuit simulators, Computer Aided Circuit Analysis (CACA) I kid you not.

Here is part of Ed Simon's paper. Unfortunately, I have it in WORD and it does not go well with this format, so I copied a few pages. It is a good read, everybody. Now, if Ed will help us, and therefore save Scott from further ignorance, we could move forward.

Attachments

• Picture 89.png
    Picture 89.png
    499.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Picture 88.png
    Picture 88.png
    385.4 KB · Views: 241
  • Picture 87.png
    Picture 87.png
    374.9 KB · Views: 244
Here is part of Ed Simon's paper. Unfortunately, I have it in WORD and it does not go well with this format, so I copied a few pages. It is a good read, everybody. Now, if Ed will help us, and therefore save Scott from further ignorance, we could move forward.

Yes, it seems likely and totally reasonable that someone on diyaudio measured some new unexplained directional phenomenon in wire using an Audio Precision, the existence of which has escaped the rest of the science and engineering world for decades. :rolleyes:

You are welcome to try it yourself. The construction details were given of the test gizmo. It does seem that the gizmo is not actually measuring what the target idea was. It seems to be influenced by something else.

I have shown the tests to visitors and depending on the cable it does show directional issues in various amounts.

Definitely not explained by circuit theory of R,L,C&D.

(Bill it is battery powered!)
Hmmm.
1. I had an effect I hypothesized and wanted to test it.
2. I designed and built a test setup designed to affirm or refute what I hypothesized.
3. My test is not actually measuring what I was trying to test, it does not see what I expected.
4. Totally befuddled by my test being arbitrarily influenced by something else, I could either state that the test design failed at seeing what I initially tried to measure, or....
5. Claim that the "something else" is indeed wire directionality.

That's it.. Where's my Nobel??

Did I mis-state anything?

Jn

Audio Precision is good, but Ed Simon does it better!

I deal with world leading scientists and physicists in a world leading environment, and one thing always stands out...

You can buy the best equipment in the world, but if you do not have extreme understanding of what you are doing, how to design a test, how to manage error mechanisms, you can end up with garbage results.

Learn how AP does it, how they manage errors, how Agilent does it, how they manage errors, then do it right.

"Influenced by something else?

Really?

Jn

Forgotten already about the years we had to listen to the "charge" piling up in a coax when you closed the switch?

I just didn't have your coax that allows faster than light transmission.

Do let me know when someone else tries the experiments under the same conditions. 100 ohm source impedance and 1 megohm load, what seems to be important also is the extremely low signal level and the type of signal.

For you guys I can stick to the single figure of merit front panel meter.

BTY what do you wire the insides of the instrument with that doesn't affect the cable under test?

I just didn't have your coax that allows faster than light transmission.

Do let me know when someone else tries the experiments under the same conditions. 100 ohm source impedance and 1 megohm load, what seems to be important also is the extremely low signal level and the type of signal.

For you guys I can stick to the single figure of merit front panel meter.

BTY what do you wire the insides of the instrument with that doesn't affect the cable under test?
That's easy. Extreme high level engineering.
No matter what you think you know, you do not understand the incredible engineering that goes into the high level equipment we take for granted.
To think you know more is quite incorrect.

Nanovoltmeters, attoamp meters, femptosecond stuff.. You've no idea.

Do not think you are alone in your ignorance.. I welcome the company..:)

Jn

Bad sound reproduction/amplification.
Nobody asked.

Dan.

Dan,

If you are trying to save typical large format PA sound quality with these
tweaks, prolly best direct energy elsewhere. It's all super high power, class D
amps, digital consoles with questionable clocking arrangements. From what i
can tell after working on this gear, it appears most of these companies don't
think too much about clocking - it's a solved problem, just throw an ASRC at
it.
When SE's are externally clocking large format dig consoles with Big Ben -
then there's something going on. Internal clocking should always trump
slaving external.

Most of the development is in DSP for xovers, beam steering, anti lobing,
room correction etc etc etc. You know all this by the look of your job
description.

T

That was never necessary, and you know it.

And you regularly seem to confuse my use of the word charge with electron. Yes I understand where you base your understandings. Not surrisingly different than mine.

JN,

I grew up surrounded by physics profs. I used to have great access to all sorts of precision gizmos. What I am looking for at the moment is doing four wire samples in a scanning electron microscope. Some friends and mentors have passed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.