John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really were a sound engineer, then you would know how to interpret audio measurements which are published all over the internet. You only need to know a few DBT results to be able to correlate the measurements to figure out how DAC, preamp, amp and cables will sound like.
If you don't want to rely on objective test results, you are free not to.
There are behaviours (excess noise is one) that are not revealed by stationary signal excitation ie sine wave excitation, however the ear readily picks up on these errant behaviours.
THD/IMD/N numbers and associated spectral analysis go some way to describing how an item or system sounds but not all the way, CSD plots of excess noise would go further.

Dan.

Thanks guys, I might look into Gotham. They are an 'unknown' at the moment.
Of course, I have lots of Mogami, just looking for something new.
Belden and Alpha are pretty good for general wiring I have found. I like a pure copper wire coated with a quality plastic or Teflon.
Hi John.
Fumed silica filled silicone rubber, specifically Silastic 80 as of Aug 1967 - Silicone Rubber As Cable Insulation with Silastic 167 (Titanium Dioxide pigment/filler) as another useful choice for it's subjective damping properties.
There will be other choices now after 50yrs of course but fumed silica types would be my first choice.
Perhaps there is sleeving available also that would be suitable to fit over bare or enameled wire.

Dan.

Last edited:
There are behaviours (excess noise is one) that are not revealed by stationary signal excitation ie sine wave excitation, however the ear readily picks up on these errant behaviours.
THD/IMD/N numbers and associated spectral analysis go some way to describing how an item or system sounds but not all the way, CSD plots of excess noise would go further.

Dan.

Could you please explain your understanding of “excess noise”? I’m concerned we may have divergent understandings, therefore my difficulties in grasping “CSD plots of excess noise”.

T, batteries for hi end audio service are just too difficult to maintain. They have to be recharged properly, preferably when the audio is NOT on. The GEL CELL's have the capacity, but do not last as long as normal automotive batteries, because they appear not to be able to shed their contaminants over time. They just go bad, no matter how well you keep them charged. It takes a lot of batteries to match a GOOD AC power supply for a preamp, for example. Power amps, you have to be kidding!
Yet, when I listen to a completely battery powered radio, like I did just today, I always find it to sound 'smoother' than when I power the same radio on a typical AC-DC supply. I have felt this way for the last 50 years, and I still note the difference.
The LAST thing we need is some dangerous Lithium battery packs, especially used ones, to catch fire when they feel like it. There is no free or easy method.

T, batteries for hi end audio service are just too difficult to maintain. They have to be recharged properly, preferably when the audio is NOT on. The GEL CELL's have the capacity, but do not last as long as normal automotive batteries, because they appear not to be able to shed their contaminants over time. They just go bad, no matter how well you keep them charged. It takes a lot of batteries to match a GOOD AC power supply for a preamp, for example. Power amps, you have to be kidding!
Yet, when I listen to a completely battery powered radio, like I did just today, I always find it to sound 'smoother' than when I power the same radio on a typical AC-DC supply. I have felt this way for the last 50 years, and I still note the difference.
The LAST thing we need is some dangerous Lithium battery packs, especially used ones, to catch fire when they feel like it. There is no free or easy method.

It would be pretty trivial to do a source / preamp with lithium batteries and keep them charged via USB type C PD connection which is disconnected when the batteries reach a certain threshold.

Power amp is another matter. I would not want to be the manufacturer to burn someone's house down because of a bad cell.

Not so sure, John. One of the most serious proposed solutions to give a second life to Lithium batteries was domestic farms of used batteries recharged with solar cells or wind turbines.

Last edited:
......Yet, when I listen to a completely battery powered radio, like I did just today, I always find it to sound 'smoother' than when I power the same radio on a typical AC-DC supply. I have felt this way for the last 50 years, and I still note the difference.
Yes same here, and since I was a kid.
Battery types made a difference too I noticed.

Another thing I noticed as a kid is that the polarity (orientation) of the standard reversible Fig 8 AC power cable makes a further difference.
I have tested this over time with a large range of 'portables' and same result.
Perhaps somebody has theories as to why this is ?.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.