Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2018, 09:03 AM   #501
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tournesol View Post
"1000 -5000 hours operating time, on the shelf: 1000"
-> 41 - 200 days ;-(
That is times 10 (longer) for each 20degC lower average operating temperature!

Edit:
P.s. I see now, you did the "manual" thing this thread moves faster than I am

Last edited by FdW; 27th February 2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 27th February 2018, 11:26 AM   #502
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
He is a "Knight of Orthodoxy."

Well, last I checked, no change in the charge of the electron or change of speed of light has occurred. Some "inventors" seem to think so. Of course there will be new valuable inventions, based on science, and they will progress the art.

//

Last edited by TNT; 27th February 2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 27th February 2018, 12:04 PM   #503
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

+1
Old 27th February 2018, 05:31 PM   #504
DPH is online now DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

There's so much cool stuff one can do without needing to rewrite physics, which already being engineered at levels that boggle the mind, including the very device you're using to view this thread. Of course, that actually requires one to be pretty well studied on what is already known. But at the mundane size scales we work at, outside of JNeutron's employer, one should assume that we're working in realms that are well described, even if we don't necessarily know which phenomenon(s) are at play.

That's not to say it's all known, and when we add the listener to the equation everything gets much more fuzzy. Of course, humans also follow the laws of physics at their most fundamental (it's all chemistry/physics at the end), but complexity masks what's going on, of course.
Old 27th February 2018, 09:35 PM   #505
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Well, last I checked, no change in the charge of the electron or change of speed of light has occurred. Some "inventors" seem to think so. Of course there will be new valuable inventions, based on science, and they will progress the art.

//
Not disagreeing with that latter, but I know an engineer of some standing who has questioned the light constant for many years and keeps bringing it up, and he is no 'inventor' and a transmission expert. Maybe it is time fluctuations that explains minor variations, so maybe light is constant and time is not? Who knows? But I won't adopt a rigid position on it. I am reminded that QM allows for time to have some inherent fuzziness.

Old 27th February 2018, 09:45 PM   #506
diyAudio Member

Last person who went on record with a faster than light measurement lost his job when the loose connector on an equipment rack was found!

However issues that science can explain are being found all the time, for example Hubble Space Telescope one of 16 suffering data-scrambling sensor error • The Register

Rather embarassing it went unnoticed for so long, but correctable. Good Science works!
Old 27th February 2018, 10:07 PM   #507
Destroyer OS is offline Destroyer OS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Last person who went on record with a faster than light measurement lost his job when the loose connector on an equipment rack was found!
Love it! Ha.
Old 27th February 2018, 10:14 PM   #508
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Good Science works!
Sure. But what makes science interesting is that we can have on observation that cannot be explained at that time, and then looking for explanations and finding them. In the meantime, the science might look a bit messy and there will be perhaps a little bit of infighting, a few egos here and there taking positions, and yet hopefully emerge at the other side with a consensus and a hypothesis that can stand the scrutiny. So science is as much about the journey, that it is about the destination.

Old 27th February 2018, 10:23 PM   #509
diyAudio Member

Science is mainly about the journey. Scientists build a giant apparatus, run it for a few months then say 'this is great, we now need a much bigger one'. Cern hasn't been shut down now the decayed carcass of the Higgs Boson has been found. They want to bigger better, faster collisions to see what particle roadkill they find.

None of which of course has very much bearing on the 20Hz-20kHz world of the human hearing. At least until they work out how to implant better ears into us.
Old 27th February 2018, 10:58 PM   #510
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

Whatever works, works! No need to attack, just because you do not understand WHY it works!

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!