John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
I am in no position to bicker about how I finally got acceptable digital sound.
Too bad. I was truly interested and even promised to not be negative no matter what you said. It's not often I'll promise that, and you're missing your chance. I'm sure there would have been elements of what you did that I could use. As for expensive gear, I'd just make it myself.

-Chris

Of course, I do most of my listening with a $1500 system (retail, new). Which consists of a 20 year old Parasound HCA-1000, my cheapest design, and a pair (actually 2 pr) Sequerra Met 7 speakers in a Hafler configuration with 1 pr of Met 7's behind me. This is driven by a Comcast Cable box and the remote control/volume, etc resides in that cable box. Works very well for TV, FM radio, and even with pre-recorded selections of various music types provided with the cable. I listen all day, and most of the evening, happily with this set-up. I think that most of you would be happy this sort of set-up, and I recommend it to you. Let's leave the expensive stuff to the rich guys and the people who can build their own electronics.

Looks similar to many claims I have read about (in the past) about "overunity", machines that operate at over 100% efficiency because they were able to "break symmetry", break reciprocity.

I have a slightly raised level of skepticism today, which I think is healthy, but I still wonder of course. Think about the implications.

Thanks
-Alex

Well, you guys can build your own electronics and speakers. I built my first 'successful' power amp more than 50 years ago, with a complementary differential bipolar input stage and push pull throughout. I used 1/2A output bias and drove a K-horn with 104SPL/W sensitivity, so it only needed to be 15W or so. Worked pretty well, in fact I used it for several years. You guys could probably build an amp at that level pretty easily. However, after 50 years of amp development, I prefer to use my circuit designs that are built by other people for the most part. It is just easier. Now, when it comes to loudspeakers, I designed a pretty expensive one about 44 years ago, but I was not as happy with it as with the amps that I designed to go with it, so I have relied on others to make my speakers for me as well. The amp that I designed was the JC-3, with a 4Q jfet input stage, which Mark Levinson made into the Levinson ML-2 power amp. You can look it up. You guys might have better luck, so go to it!

Last edited:
I don't follow you, not sure why we need luck. All we need is a hot soldering iron, parts, and desire! We all know your track record, and I don't think anybody here would question your great designs. Again, DIY, that's why we're here! Now you like to design and let others build. Most people here like to build, and like to try other people's designs. I would never claim to be a designer, though many others here are. Some are even engineers. We all like to try things and explore circuits and smell fresh rosin in the morning! So telling us to leave the "expensive stuff" to rich guys is a non-starter.

John I worked in the audio retail business for some years and got to listen to a lot of equipment, some good, some bad, some quirky. I definitely had the opportunity to hear more of it than most rich guys I know. Much of the electronics that I have built (admittedly not that much comoared to others here) I would happily put up against most "high end" gear I have heard. Not in terms of appearance, or fit and finish, or ergonomics, etc, but sonically. More to the point, I don't want or need to compare my gear to any commercial products. I built it for me, to enjoy, and I don't really care how it matches up to other designs. (I just kniw I have heard a lot worse.)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Well, you guys can build your own electronics and speakers.
We do, and I have. I still listen to a pair of prototype speakers in our bedroom. Most things I have built (industrial, test equipment and audio) still works. Some I threw out - working still.

I expected you to tell me your upgrades were Bybee related. So no surprises there. Now, given how sensitive your hearing is, have you been able to improve your CTC Blowtorch in any way? Don't be shy. See, I am holding to my promise.

-Chris

Here is me in my lab. I have plenty to do.

Attachments

• John-TestEquip1-FullFrame.JPG
    John-TestEquip1-FullFrame.JPG
    700 KB · Views: 187
Looks similar to many claims I have read about (in the past) about "overunity", machines that operate at over 100% efficiency because they were able to "break symmetry", break reciprocity.

I have a slightly raised level of skepticism today, which I think is healthy, but I still wonder of course. Think about the implications.

Thanks
-Alex

From the paper:

Note that this mechanism is intrinsically lossy; one
needs to add energy to the system in order to keep the
conductor moving at constant velocity and overcome the
magnetic friction originating from the induced eddy currents.

I wonder if this is one of those things the military has known about for decades?

Last edited:
I wonder if this is one of those things the military has known about for decades?

Mr. Thane Heins kindly replied to some questions I had about his "BITT" (bi-toroid transformer) back in 2012.

Dear Alexandre,

Thank you for your email.

We are getting about 26 Watts with zero PF and then the PF goes less than zero.
As an EE student you should be aware that PF must be between 0 and 1.
Well we are now seeing NEGATIVE PF and this ought to be impossible!

Here is a detailed presentation about his experiments.

How to Make a Bi-Toroid Transformer and Exceed 100 Percent Efficien...

Status
Not open for further replies.