John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such report and the signature check makes at least some proof that the test was not cheated by file modification etc., as it is a long-distance test.

Such a statement is too vague for scientific work. You need to determine a way to weight the probability of cheating. Otherwise, a biased experimenter is free to invoke the excuse at will. There needs to be an objective basis for evaluating it as an influencing factor on outcomes. IMHO, of course.

Last edited:
mmerrill99 said:
@DF96, your pedantry is getting tedious for everybody, I suspect so I'l keep it short?
When I do it it is tedious pedantry. When you do it it is merely attention to detail. Did I get that right?

So you proffer no definition of what is a "reasonable" unsighted test to you
Yes, I offer no definition. Any definition I offer will be carefully picked over for flaws, which will then be held aloft with a triumphant cry. In life we do not have to rigourously define every word we use. Most reasonable people know what the word 'reasonable' means. No definition could possible cover all possible unreasonable tests, because there is no limit to the foolishness of others.

scottjoplin said:
Bet he won't answer
I seem to recall inviting him to comment on this before, some months ago, but he declined and tried to divert the discussion. I may be wrong; it could have been someone else.

So tell us how you know the unsighted test isn't just comprising of false negative results or are you not concerned about that, only wishing to minimize false positives?
A reasonable test would not be strongly biased either way. I expect you will now ask me to define 'strong bias'. It could be tortoises all the way down.

I have asked myself a relevant question though on this point.
When I am to arrange such a comparative test: In case one of the DUTs changes the dynamic range appreciably (>1-2dB), either due to increased noise floor or due to smooth compression of the high level peaks or both, what instrument reading should I use for to level equalize the two files (target is equal perceived level of loudness)?
Peak hold, VU peak, average RMS power?
A resonable baseline would be to set the level so that the waveform difference (after time-alignment) during low volume passages is minimal (as measured and by listening to the residual) as we would assume distortion is lowest at low levels. At high level, in the 1% THD range, there will be deformation of the peaks, any combination of expanding or compressing peaks of individual polarity may occur so no way to level-align this with peak-hold values or RMS during louder passages. The larger the distortion and the more dynamic the recording the lesser one can match levels... which section of the file to choose for the statistics? Do we want same percieved loudness during low level passages or during (very occassional) lound bursts? One could make histogramms of short-term (200ms) rms value bins and then concentrate on the passages with many blocks in/near the distribution peak and level-align using those sections, to get a sort of weighted average level trimming.

When I do it it is tedious pedantry. When you do it it is merely attention to detail. Did I get that right?
Your refusal to deal with the detail & repeat the same mantra is what is tedious.

Yes, I offer no definition. Any definition I offer will be carefully picked over for flaws, which will then be held aloft with a triumphant cry. In life we do not have to rigourously define every word we use. Most reasonable people know what the word 'reasonable' means. No definition could possible cover all possible unreasonable tests, because there is no limit to the foolishness of others.
You hold no expectation of the quality of a test, you simply judge it as it comes, play it by ear, i.e. make it up as you go along

I seem to recall inviting him to comment on this before, some months ago, but he declined and tried to divert the discussion. I may be wrong; it could have been someone else.

A reasonable test would not be strongly biased either way. I expect you will now ask me to define 'strong bias'. It could be tortoises all the way down.
How do you know a test is "strongly biased" - just your 'belief system', again at play?

mmerrill99, your are in the audio business - right? Did I recall correct that you have a website?

//

It took me sometime, yes there is a Merrill Audio site

Element 118 Power amplifier Monoblocks

Merrill Audio Advanced Technology Labs, LLC was founded with the singular mission of High Value Audio and Audio Purity. We are focused on audio and not price points. We are focused on customer service that will delight you.

They use highend components like
The element 118 Power Amplifier Monoblocks only use stranded wire that is OFC, silver plated and sleeved in Teflon and was selected for its low parasitics impedance and dielectric characteristics. High Gauge wire is the norm throughout and every audio signal path is hand soldered to provide the purest possible connection.

and I think they mention a GHz BW somewhere.

Using the most advanced and newest Gallium Nitride transistors available, the Element 118 Power Amplifier Monoblocks are capable of delivering speeds into the Gigahertz range.

Last edited:
Can we pretty please stop feeding the troll?

The man has a vested interest (what percentage financial vs ideological I don't know or care given they're interrelated) in spreading FUD about DBT in audio, especially ABX. Good luck getting any sort if reasoned discussion out of him, nor is he willing to provide anything constructive, like an experimental protocol that ostensibly works. Instead he practices manipulative arguing methods, complete with their logical fallacies, (particularly selective and out of context quoting followed by a conflation of "if this minor thing is arguable, then the overall position is wrong") and then complains loudly that he's being treated unfairly when someone comments against a point he makes unambiguously, especially when it is technically and unambiguously wrong. Mark, Jacob, if that reads like attacking a person rather than his ideas, I understand. I also don't know how to separate the toxicity of the individual's methods from his long ago historically argued points. Frankly the most cogent points he makes are when he parrots or directly quotes someone else, oftentimes completely in the wrong context, which certainly doesn't inspire confidence in his reasoning.

Last edited:
mmerrill99 said:
How do you know a test is "strongly biased" - just your 'belief system', again at play?
I don't know anything about some random hypothetical unspecified test. I take it you do not have a belief system? If so, thinking must be hard work as you have nothing to start from. Each time you want to calculate the value of a resistor you first have to discover what physical law (if you believe in physical laws - maybe you don't?) is obeyed by resistors (do I need to define the word 'resistor'?).

If you can't deal with the logic of the arguments & have to revert to trying to bait the person, then many readers make of this what they will.
Surely 'baiting' is what you have been attempting to do with me for some time?

PMA said:
It took me sometime, yes there is a Merrill Audio site
I was aware of that. It appears to be at the shiny, expensive, 'lifestyle' end of the audio market, while claiming not to be. The website has lots of fine words but very few facts. I do not know what, if any, connection it has with mmerrill99 here. If he is connected with that business then I can well imagine why he wishes to defend sighted tests. Fortunately it is likely that few of Merrill Audio's customers will seek audio wisdom on this forum, so I doubt if we are affecting sales.

4.2K...that's more like it. Anybody can do that.

I had to put a pair of 100 HP motors to use on a pump to get down to 1.8K in a big dewar. A two liter or so chamber with fins, put 4.2K liquid in it, pull a vacuum, it boils, and in the process, the fins cool down the helium it's immersed into. We maintain a liquid level in the chamber as gas leaves, and it eventually cools down the large volume of liquid to 1.88.

It gets really expensive at these temps, 1 watt into 4.2K liquid requires 1000 watts of electricity at the fridge. 1 watt into 1.8K requires 2 kilowatts at the fridge.

I suspect it isn't even exponential, that Carnot guy is very unforgiving. An probably much more than 1/ delta t.

jn

Sounds like its a tri axis rotational problem. (just looking at the comments after my new white room distortion post)

Regardless, new brain toy:

Researchers defy 19th Century law of Physics in 21st century boost for energy efficiency

whut dey be sayin? Magnetic diode.

This may help in some of your work John.

Assamalute zero might get a bit more friendly, and move closer to you on the dewar. Too bad, it will be totally frigid.

Last edited:
Can we pretty please stop feeding the troll?
And this is how the usual script goes on audio forums from people who are afraid to deal with logical arguments - attack the poster for being X or not being X (doesn't matter as long as it's accepted by the groupthink), then label him/her a troll & appeal to others to ignore - all to avoid facing the truth of what's being said

The man has a vested interest (what percentage financial vs ideological I don't know or care given they're interrelated) in spreading FUD about DBT in audio, especially ABX. Good luck getting any sort if reasoned discussion out of him, nor is he willing to provide anything constructive, like an experimental protocol that ostensibly works.
Again we see the usual m.o - build a strawman - I've said it before, the mindset that dominates certain types - unless a prescription is given on how to do something they feel they have been cheated - it seems they can't deal with analysis of the 'test' & the weaknesses inherent in t - they just don't want to know.

I already gave a way of embedding hidden controls within a ABX test but PMA either doesn't understand or pretends not to. Whatever, the reason, neither he nor the main ABX supporters on here are interested in controls

Instead he practices manipulative arguing methods, complete with their logical fallacies, (particularly selective and out of context quoting followed by a conflation of "if this minor thing is arguable, then the overall position is wrong") and then complains loudly that he's being treated unfairly when someone comments against a point he makes unambiguously, especially when it is technically and unambiguously wrong.
Don't know what you are talking about but if you aren't able to deal with details about ABX testing, or details about auditory perception then maybe I can help you - the first step is being truthful with yourself.
Mark, Jacob, if that reads like attacking a person rather than his ideas, I understand. I also don't know how to separate the toxicity of the individual's methods from his long ago historically argued points. Frankly the most cogent points he makes are when he parrots or directly quotes someone else, oftentimes completely in the wrong context, which certainly doesn't inspire confidence in his reasoning.
Ah, just get to the ad-hominem stuff straight away in your next post - no need for the lead-in

Status
Not open for further replies.