Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2018, 03:52 PM   #5011
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Dan,
Your wife told you to get rid of them?

-Chris
Old 6th June 2018, 04:09 PM   #5012
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Of interest to headphone listeners and probably already known by some here, Sean Olive has tweaked the Harman reference curves for headphones.

Harman tweaks its headphone target response | InnerFidelity
Old 6th June 2018, 04:24 PM   #5013
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Same old wife in the kitchen story Regarding capacitor DA it doesn't produce HD, okay so maybe it produces objectionable linear distortion.
My own experience has been despite what I'd rather be the case. At least I've been able to use it constructively for my own commercial and personal purposes. It's not necessary to be paralyzed into inaction if lacking a full understanding.

Unfortunately, linear distortion is not the complete answer. In my experience clear differences in sound exist (with the same uF values) between high quality dielectrics (PP and PS) for coupling and EQ. Some of this may be due to lead materials and termination (for example CDE 715P and 716P), but not in all cases.

Last edited by rayma; 6th June 2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 6th June 2018, 04:37 PM   #5014
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post
In my experience clear differences in sound exist (with the same uF values) between high quality dielectrics (PP and PS).
Any chance you could provide a high resolution recording of the output with two such different sounding caps? It would also be helpful to have a copy of the source material for reference, again if possible.
Old 6th June 2018, 04:50 PM   #5015
diyAudio Member

All my experiences as described have been over the course of my lifetime. I would need to design and set up an experiment for this purpose, and buy DUT parts, and equipment for recording (digital, presumably). I will look into this and see. Any suggestions on recorders?

Last edited by rayma; 6th June 2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 6th June 2018, 05:16 PM   #5016
diyAudio Member

Quote:
. Any suggestions on recorders?
A good computer sound card is probably best. Whether internal or external would be up to you. In the pretty good but low-price range there is this one:
Product: UH-7000 | TASCAM Or better might be: E22 - Products - Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.

At the UH-7000 end of the spectrum there may be some other recommendations at GearSlutz, if you can figure out who in a thread knows what they are talking about.

Or, if something like that is a deal killer maybe a loaner could be arranged, have to see about that though.
Old 6th June 2018, 05:24 PM   #5017
Jakob2 is offline Jakob2  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
How does that work? Simply please.
Although i have my doubts that certain effects are _only_ detectable in long term listening procedures, this long term approach has some advantages.

Over a prolonged time span several (possibly) confounding effects will more likely average out, which is beneficial.
Environmental factors like ambient noise, fluctuations in main voltage, temperature, humidity and even more important different moods of the listener.

The listener is able to use the DUT in the same way for normal/casual listening as usual, without thinking about any evaluational purpose. Maybe he notices a tendence to listen longer than before, or listen to different music, listens at different volume levels.
It is easier that way to notice a different emotional response.

Edit: Just to name some reasons why it might be beneficial....

Last edited by Jakob2; 6th June 2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 6th June 2018, 05:42 PM   #5018
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
A good computer sound card is probably best. Whether internal or external would be up to you.
I'm macOS all the way, no Microsoft allowed.
Old 6th June 2018, 05:42 PM   #5019
diyAudio Member

Not only emotional response. People who don't usually notice small differences may notice a small change if a system they are very used to suddenly one day sounds a little different.
Old 6th June 2018, 05:43 PM   #5020
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm macOS all the way, no Microsoft allowed.
Big box with expansion slots or all-in-one?

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!