Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2018, 01:04 PM   #5001
Tournesol is offline Tournesol  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
This complicates the process a lot. What is a valid experiment that isolates one thing?
Who use audio circuits not shielded ?
Old 6th June 2018, 01:17 PM   #5002
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You have to control loop area inside the box as well as outside. But you already knew that...
Old 6th June 2018, 01:19 PM   #5003
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Well, for starters, maybe we should be listening to a mono signal so as not to be confused by stereo effects. I advise people looking for speakers to hear one channel only in order to hear the sound and not the stereo image. "If you like it in mono, you'll like it much more in stereo" for most people.

-Chris
Old 6th June 2018, 01:52 PM   #5004
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Well, for starters, maybe we should be listening to a mono signal so as not to be confused by stereo effects. I advise people looking for speakers to hear one channel only in order to hear the sound and not the stereo image. "If you like it in mono, you'll like it much more in stereo" for most people.

-Chris
One speaker Mono and one speaker L or R are different cases but instructional nevertheless.
I am currently doing some speaker crossover experimentation and I find that all three above cases are important and individual.
When I have one cabinet sounding 'right' I will duplicate to the other cabinet and experience stereo done 'right'.
There are interesting 'gotchas' and influences in getting good loudspeaker sound.

Dan.
Old 6th June 2018, 01:55 PM   #5005
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Well, for starters, maybe we should be listening to a mono signal so as not to be confused by stereo effects.
So, maybe the test software should have a user choice of Stereo, Mono, Left, or Right? Route the selected choice to both output channels, presumably?

EDIT: Cross posted with Dan. Think we are probably in basic agreement about listening channel choices. Dan?

Last edited by Markw4; 6th June 2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 6th June 2018, 02:06 PM   #5006
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Great respect for the effort and devotion and time and energy.... even cleverness. I just find not enough of all that man power and $$$ is being applied to the most important and pressing issues of our time.

THx-RNMarsh

It's always a push pull. We're basking in the largesse of the theoretical ground work of the early 20 th century, so I'd argue we need all types.

Apropos the caps conversation --
For caps/DC coupling: pick your flavor and knock your socks off, both can be made to work well, depending on application. If film foil makes you happy, great. This is diyaudio after all.
Old 6th June 2018, 02:17 PM   #5007
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Simulations capture life and death of a neutron | Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
This is clearly addressing a pressing need, just not a pressing need we know of yet!

Richard, as you are so fond of LLNL stories, this little snippet.

1960s

Exploration of the peaceful use of nuclear explosives gave rise to bioscience and environmental programs at Livermore.
Biotechnology developments at Livermore and Los Alamos, such as chromosome biomarkers and high-speed cell sorters, enabled the launch of the Human Genome Initiative in 1987. This multi-laboratory initiative grew to become an international endeavor that completed sequencing the human genome in 2000.

No one could have forseen that, but it is one of the most active areas of research to make life better for countless people. Think about it. Structure of DNA discovered in 1953. Complete human genome sequenced by 2000. That is science and engineering at its best. Oh and there being no substitute for cubic dollars .
Old 6th June 2018, 02:18 PM   #5008
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post
It's always a push pull. We're basking in the largesse of the theoretical ground work of the early 20 th century, so I'd argue we need all types.
Absolutely. If we stop funding basic research, and people just following their noses, we will stagnate. And, as you say, we can do both things...
Old 6th June 2018, 02:20 PM   #5009
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
When I have one cabinet sounding 'right' I will duplicate to the other cabinet and experience stereo done 'right'.
No no, you want one to sound "right" and one to sound "left"!
Old 6th June 2018, 02:24 PM   #5010
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
No no, you want one to sound "right" and one to sound "left"!
I want (and have) speakers that disappear.

Dan.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!