Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 17th January 2020, 05:11 PM   #35351
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Polak View Post
@Pavel,
Just read your report on speaker distortion, voltage vs current drive.
Well done, very enlightening.

Hans
Thank you for your kind words, Hans. I have a good feeling if someone finds it useful.

Old 17th January 2020, 05:49 PM   #35352
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
I see no agenda.
"decided to try Jam's cables and get it over with. I connected them between the XLR outputs on AK4499 eval board and the Neurochrome HP-1 headphone amp input.

Wow! Everything sounded better, less distorted, and the difference was easy to hear! I was basically stunned, never expected it.
"

That looked like a sales pitch to me and it's not isolated to that thread. But YMMV.
Quote:
What has he ever done to you? Honest question as you are close to my ignore list for the continuing hounding of a few people.
What he's done to me is no longer viewable because it was deleted by the moderator/s due to its severity but this is very similar to it, just milder.

Old 17th January 2020, 05:52 PM   #35353
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Gross exaggeration to suggest that they don't know how to use their own product that they designed just because they don't subscribe to your belief system.

Old 17th January 2020, 06:17 PM   #35354
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You snipped out the part about these cables not being for sale at the moment. So saying something that is not available to buy is hardly a sin in my book. Certainly not worthy of reduction in S/N on an already noisy thread it causes. Maybe I am more live and let live, but if the mods are ok with it then I will go with the flow.

Surely there is productive stuff that can be discussed and ignore the things that wrankle?

Old 17th January 2020, 07:11 PM   #35355
gpapag is online now gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Thanks for this George. It's enough range for me, not too much and not uncomfortable, is it a realistic range? I can imagine some people wanting more.
Thanks Scott for listening and commenting.
This dynamic range is realistic for classic, opera is even more demanding.
Not many recordings convey such dynamics and I donít think thatís accidental.
Recordings with high dynamic range speak trouble for the majority of home listening (ambient noise, high SPL). Ed has posted some proper (frightening) numbers in the past, listening is always more informative.

George

Old 17th January 2020, 07:29 PM   #35356
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
Not many recordings convey such dynamics and I donít think thatís accidental.
Recordings with high dynamic range speak trouble for the majority of home listening (ambient noise, high SPL).
It makes sense, I followed your instructions regards setting the volume level. Probably many wouldn't listen to the opening passage so quietly.

Old 17th January 2020, 07:45 PM   #35357
Sin Bin

Quote:
You snipped out the part about these cables not being for sale at the moment. So saying something that is not available to buy is hardly a sin in my book.
"at the moment". Have you ever heard of a term "primer"? In order for the paint product to stick to the surface sell well, there needs to be a primer as undercoat desire for the surface consumers.

Quote:
Certainly not worthy of reduction in S/N on an already noisy thread it causes. Maybe I am more live and let live, but if the mods are ok with it then I will go with the flow.
Do you have the same view on Jakob(#)'s actions here?

Quote:
Surely there is productive stuff that can be discussed and ignore the things that wrankle?
We've seen many off topic subjects on this very thread over the months / years. At this point, it's simpler to ask how many posts are about JC's Blowtorch preamplifier. Perhaps off topic post is going with the flow.

Old 17th January 2020, 08:36 PM   #35358
Jakob2 is offline Jakob2  Germany
diyAudio Member

@billshurv,

you know, the beauty of a conspiracy theory lies therein that no real fact/proof is needed.
Even the opposite of the alleged behaviour contributes just confirmation that is even more worse than expected.

Old 17th January 2020, 08:44 PM   #35359
Tournesol is offline Tournesol  Belgium
Banned

Quote:
Mediocre. Perhaps a poor choice of word.
That is the typical remark i dislike to read on the forum.

Old 17th January 2020, 08:45 PM   #35360
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tournesol View Post
Are-you joking ?
In the history of art, all disciplines combined, the 70s represent a summit that, unfortunately, I think incomparable.
I would agree with that.

I look at my music collection and see rock, pop, jazz and classical recordings that have not been equaled since (for classical some of the very best recordings also took place in the 1960’s).

What’s the best on offer today? Bloody Taylor Swift (nice to look at but that’s all) and Ed Sheeran

Closed Thread

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!