Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 7th January 2020, 06:57 PM   #34501
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Old 7th January 2020, 06:59 PM   #34502
jneutron is offline jneutron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTR View Post
Adobe Addition's resampling filter, 192k-->44.1k-->192k, highest quality... a rather long FIR, suspposedly.

Do you see a "frequency shift" in the red trace as well? If so, you don't understand the peak of the 5x20 spectrum doesn't neccessarily coincide with the carrier when a bit of non-flat EQ is present (Bu2@19kHz, in this case), which is what happened with Hans' filter.
That is exactly why I mentioned moving the graph to provide more detail in that exact area of the spectra.

"Rather long FIR supposedly"? Is there any way to find out? Do they give the user the option of FIR length? That would make it rather easy to see if that is why Han's frequencies were so different.
Quote:
Besides, filtering can *never* change a frequency, basic knowledge....
Yah, I've heard that before. You are telling the wrong guy that. Go back and look at Han's time display and tell me the two frequencies are the same.

Do you have a better explanation as to why he shows two frequencies? I'm all ears.

Jn

Last edited by jneutron; 7th January 2020 at 07:02 PM.

Old 7th January 2020, 07:03 PM   #34503
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I like to think of Gibbs as the ghost of the images removed.
I absolutely agree. And your difference plot really shows where the action occurs.

Jn

Old 7th January 2020, 07:06 PM   #34504
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Polak View Post
In this thread you have to prove everything that you mention to prevent that nonsense is generally being accepted.
Here are two square waves in two amplitudes fed to the same Fir filter that I used earlier, in this case having amplitudes of resp. 1.0 Volt and 0.3 Volt.
After being processed by the Fir filter, I have multiplied the 0.3 Volt filtered version by 10/3.
And guess what, results are exactly on top of each other, proving that ringing has nothing to do with limited slew rate or whatever but only with the transfer properties of the used filter.

Hans

Attachment 807459
All you have done is show that the ringing scales with the slew rate (and height). This is exactly as expected, no surprise. It would be odd if it didn't.

What you need to address is your earlier plots showing a change in frequency after you put it through your filter. That was a totally unexpected outcome.

Oh, thank you for your efforts,,also KSTR, thank you.
Jn

Oh, sorry. If you would, could you please overlay the blue and green waveforms from your earlier post simultaneous in time. Since the frequencies are different, perhaps line up the first zero crossings. Thank you.

Tomorrow I'll make two copies of the plot, use a pair of scissors and some scotch tape, a couple chicken scratches mimicking actual handwriting... scan to jpeg, voila..

Edit: KSTR, if you don't mind, would you do the exact same thing with your software? If you do not support a carrier frequency shift, we have to assume it was something in Han's software package.

Last edited by jneutron; 7th January 2020 at 07:28 PM.

Old 7th January 2020, 07:13 PM   #34505
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Polak View Post
In this thread you have to prove everything that you mention to prevent that nonsense is generally being accepted.
That's incorrect. Only some have to prove everything, even the signal processing 101, others do not consider carrying the same burden. They are free to spew whatever they dreamed last night about.

Old 7th January 2020, 07:25 PM   #34506
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tournesol View Post
Perhaps the dust surrounding the old EEs protects their 5 CDs from the invasion of molds which seem to appreciate the metal layer of CDs even more than the coating of photographic lenses?
Make that 6 . Attached is about 1/3 of my DVD/CD collection (of 20+ years), in storage, the rest is "active". Never had a dang of a problem with mold or anything else, they are all as good as in the first day. And yes, I saw/listen them all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2160.jpg (889.3 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by syn08; 7th January 2020 at 07:27 PM.

Old 7th January 2020, 07:31 PM   #34507
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn08 View Post
Make that 6 . Attached is about 1/3 of my DVD/CD collection (of 20+ years), in storage, the rest is "active". Never had a dang of a problem with mold or anything else, they are all as good as in the first day. And yes, I saw/listen them all.
Why two copies of front to back? Did one get moldy?

Old 7th January 2020, 07:35 PM   #34508
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Maybe Mr. T is storing the disks in a place where one stores their wine perhaps or in the kitchen where humidity is higher? I have never had a mouldy disk or LP either, I have them all in my basement too, it can get humid in the summer time but I do turn on the de-humidifier when it gets too high.
If you leave out some 20-20-20 water soluble fertilizer, exposed to air, when it turns to liquid, it is time to turn on the de-humidifier. Grow-op experience I have a Honeywell humidiy sensor and Atmel xmega code for you if that works better for you.

Last edited by rsavas; 7th January 2020 at 07:41 PM.

Old 7th January 2020, 07:37 PM   #34509
elektroj is offline elektroj  Europe
diyAudio Member

For those interested..
One can download a demo of this plugin for his DAW software and play with all kinds of filter types and lenghts.
DMG Audio : Products : EQuilibrium
Reading user manual is a must.
Attached Images
File Type: png equil-setup.png (77.2 KB, 178 views)

Old 7th January 2020, 07:38 PM   #34510
Tournesol is offline Tournesol  Belgium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn08 View Post
You should defragment your shelves.
You listen to your CDs with which oscilloscope?

Closed Thread

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!