Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 01:33 AM   #31711
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

The LM3886 lives on. The LM4562 lives on.
Old Today, 01:36 AM   #31712
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
The LM3886 lives on. The LM4562 lives on.
As legacy parts the whole audio push has lost a lot of steam.
Old Today, 01:46 AM   #31713
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

I suspect if you talked to the NSC guys on the day the LM3886 was signed-off and released for general production, they'd have offered the opinion that analog audio ICs would have a brief lifespan -- because Class D audio chips were coming that would render this analog crap irrelevant and obsolete.

And, from the point of view of a semiconductor manufacturer who offers a broad line of Class D audio chips, that opinion wasn't wrong.
Old Today, 02:42 AM   #31714
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
The LM3886 lives on.
Three of them in each of my speakers! I guess they don't sell many of them now, but they are nice chips and NatSemi should be proud of them.
Old Today, 03:10 AM   #31715
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd guess there will continue to be room in the product line for at least one Class AB amplifier for those customers that don't want to deal with the increased EMC risk of the Class D parts.
Old Today, 03:23 AM   #31716
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

Room acoustics!!! Perceptual issues!!! One could start with the Sabine equation, but as that is over 100 years old so to some here must be outdated. Of course the first Sabine made it big as a consultant on music rooms.

(Actually it is over simplified and has been enhanced many times and ways.)

Next one would have to consider early reflections vs late ones, but that is way too recent or is it too old as it first showed up in the late 1940s.

Then we get to the more recent 1960s attempts to measure and simulate acoustic spaces. Getting to be quite well done in some commercial products.

So do we add character with the room or do we do a neutral room and allow for the folks making the recording have the batton?

RNM the scoundrel ( ) insists on reducing the influence of the room.

Now it is really not much harder to play with room acoustics than build your own circuit gizmo. One of my guys for his recordings picked up a few well used reclaimed doors. Hinged together they give him a portable hard wall. A step further would be shag carpet on one side. An easy way to change a bit the acoustics of a space.

For W.A.F. These can be used to determine what and if changes might be made and then replaced with furniture, drapes or mirrors to be acceptable changes.

As mentioned before I have a bit of art work in my place. A simple painting can be used as is or even have absorption hidden behind it. I also use windows, they can be treated with movable drapery that is to some shading to others variable acoustic absorbers.

For extra humor, I tend to buy some electronic components in quantities of 100 pieces. This has resulted in calls from manufacturers' representatives inquiring about usage.

Now one good fit was a felllow who represented the folks where I bought 25 of their DC to DC converter modules. ($15.00 ea.) he also represented folks who locally assemble circuitry. In addition he had a metal fabrication place that does just about nothing I do but pretty much the stuff I don't. (I punch and bend, they laser and water jet.)

So tomorrow A.M. I have the T.I. guys stopping by to discuss audio parts, should be interesting.
Old Today, 03:35 AM   #31717
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post

So tomorrow A.M. I have the T.I. guys stopping by to discuss audio parts, should be interesting.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!