Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2019, 08:10 AM   #31311
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
No. The raw BER goes up in NAND flash ...
All the conversations along here follow the NAND logic

Old 6th December 2019, 08:21 AM   #31312
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn08 View Post
Tidal uses MQA. GRRRRR....
Yes and via Squeezbox, you cant tell which duplicated albums is the MQA one because there is no indication via that interface. I promised myself to never play a MQA file through my system.

//

Old 6th December 2019, 08:23 AM   #31313
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Back to old habits, Ovi?

The most useful advice for you was to try listening more. Look at the numbers is all you know how to do.
You quoted me above but you actually edited the quote. A sin, whatever the reason.

//

Old 6th December 2019, 08:31 AM   #31314
vacuphile is offline vacuphile  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn08 View Post
Are you sure I did not? If I'd tell you there is absolutely no difference in sound between a 7805 and a LT3045 with about 1.4V drop at full load, what would you think?
That you put it in a location where it does not matter, in other words, overspecced the part.

Use it for AVCC in a ESS DAC, or the comparable voltage reference pin on an AKM DAC, or any other location with poor power supply immunity, and your statement is patently untrue.

Old 6th December 2019, 08:33 AM   #31315
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
So what's stopping you, fear of learning something new ?.
Sanity

Old 6th December 2019, 08:37 AM   #31316
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra1 View Post
Chris, you have just insulted makers of digital audio players by insinuating that some of them are delusional. What is your point?
It was at least in part a question. Is there a player that reads the file from disk entirely before starting playback? It's something I can imagine an extremely paranoid person would do. I thought I've heard of some player that did this, but I don't want to misstate the facts.

I did not insult any makers of digital audio players, except those that are idiots. I do not know of any examples that allocate a buffer for the entire file. If any player reads the entire file into memory for playback purposes only, the author(s) deserve my scorn.

Well, it's not even a big sin these days with the amount of RAM available on a PC... but it is arguably bad practice anyway aside from the asinine reasoning that the storage device will not have to be accessed during playback.

Last edited by chris719; 6th December 2019 at 08:43 AM.

Old 6th December 2019, 08:47 AM   #31317
indra1 is offline indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Yes I did and the finding still stands...
Dan, when you hear a difference between 2 bit perfect copies of the same file, then one explanation would be that you have supernatural hearing, unmeasurable and unprovable to the norms. A waste of time and effort to pursue here.

Old 6th December 2019, 08:57 AM   #31318
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
That you put it in a location where it does not matter, in other words, overspecced the part.

Use it for AVCC in a ESS DAC, or the comparable voltage reference pin on an AKM DAC, or any other location with poor power supply immunity, and your statement is patently untrue.
I'll bite on this. I am 100% sure there is a measurable difference if you use a 7805 for VREF / AVCC, but how sure are you it's audible?

It might be, but I would not bet my life on it. The Rohm 7805 that AKM uses has a noise spec of 40 uV RMS from 10 Hz - 100 kHz. Not state-of-the-art, but appears to be lower than TI's LM317 if I read the datasheets correctly. PSRR is a bit higher in the audio band, too. Not amazing compared to new regulators, but I bet I could feed that to the VREF of an AK4499 and normal humans would fail to identify it in a blind test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra1 View Post
Dan, when you hear a difference between 2 bit perfect copies of the same file, then one explanation would be that you have supernatural hearing, unmeasurable and unprovable to the norms. A waste of time and effort to pursue here.
Agreed. Maybe he has X-Men mutant power of hearing.

Last edited by chris719; 6th December 2019 at 08:59 AM.

Old 6th December 2019, 09:09 AM   #31319
indra1 is offline indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
... but it is arguably bad practice anyway aside from the asinine reasoning that the storage device will not have to be accessed during playback.
Perhaps you are correct, I haven't followed the matter closely for far too long. However digital playback are not only PC based, it is going into smaller or embedded platforms like the Raspberry Pi with multi channel filtering, equalization and crossover function.

Old 6th December 2019, 09:11 AM   #31320
elektroj is offline elektroj  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I do not know of any examples that allocate a buffer for the entire file. If any player reads the entire file into memory for playback purposes only, the author(s) deserve my scorn.
There you go - see attachment.
A file player (Amarra) by the same company that created mastering software that up until recently was used in production of about 90% of all digital releases on the market (CD and High Res) since 1989. Player uses the same playback "engine" as the mastering software. Modified (encrypted) version of this player is produced on the fly by the mastering software and is sent to client for playback of final DDP file to get their approval.
Now go and call Sonicstudio and tell them that you know better.
Ignorance is indeed a bliss.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2019-12-06 at 10.47.png (103.8 KB, 159 views)

Closed Thread

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!