Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2019, 09:38 PM   #29781
elektroj is offline elektroj  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post
And it should be doubly noted much of the ostensible hi-res music has tons of noise shaped dither in its creation..
I'd love to see any examples.
Old 21st October 2019, 10:18 PM   #29782
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
I'd imagine it's even harder when there is a doubt as to what is meant by ""equality"" and ""difference"".
Your "obsession" with "emphasis quotes" is more noisome than reading it as Jakob emphasizing his point. Agree or disagree with what he has to say, he's actually quite clear, so maybe read it rather than auto-reply "FUD"?

Electroj--downsampling during mastering is a fact of life, and very very few high res tracks are better than their 16/44 equivalents. This doesn't require much of a leap of faith does it?
Old 21st October 2019, 10:29 PM   #29783
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I think he's using them as scare quotes not emphasis quotes
Old 21st October 2019, 11:36 PM   #29784
mountainman bob is offline mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenharmonics View Post
It's a losing effort unless humans can control the subconscious.
You can (or at least I can) let your subconscious take control in a state of dissociation. Interpretation is bit tricky but thatís the fun part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob2 View Post
even more important to learn to listen and to be aware only of the emotional response while excluding any further analytical thinking, which will be used only at the next step.
In a nutshell.....this is what Iím talking about ^

Quote:
certainly has its value for the listener's sake, But these observations have poor translation to another user.
Trying to explain it is an effort in futility.......but I believe (down there in my subconscious!) that itís important enough to dig deeper and i applaud those who are.
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:36 AM   #29785
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman bob View Post
You can (or at least I can) let your subconscious take control in a state of dissociation. Interpretation is bit tricky but thatís the fun part.
Wow, in the world of home audio (supposedly fun hobby), you are now delving into a state of dissociation.
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:10 AM   #29786
mountainman bob is offline mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

not as in the ptsd one might get from your constant barrage of negativity, but more a induced trance state.
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:29 AM   #29787
elektroj is offline elektroj  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Electroj--downsampling during mastering is a fact of life, and very very few high res tracks are better than their 16/44 equivalents. This doesn't require much of a leap of faith does it?
DPH, I am familiar with mastering process and best practices of releasing material for different media and, that was _exactly_ the reason why I asked for examples. Otherwise your claim that 'hi-res music has tons of noise shaped dither' is just an unsubstantiated one.
Old 22nd October 2019, 02:15 AM   #29788
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman bob View Post
not as in the ptsd one might get from your constant barrage of negativity, but more a induced trance state.
Wow, in the world of home audio (supposedly fun hobby), you are now delving into induced trance state.

Wait, take that back. It is believable that you are following (induced) the directions of audio business sales pitch which explains your fondness of Jakob(#).
Old 22nd October 2019, 04:44 AM   #29789
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
BTY at the AD room the fellow I spoke to was unfamiliar with you or your work.
I forgot to mention that I came across Ozymandias
when I was 13 or so, always have taken it to heart.
Old 22nd October 2019, 06:32 AM   #29790
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektroj View Post
DPH, I am familiar with mastering process and best practices of releasing material for different media and, that was _exactly_ the reason why I asked for examples. Otherwise your claim that 'hi-res music has tons of noise shaped dither' is just an unsubstantiated one.
I'm so confused why this is controversial to anyone but Richard, who thinks he's actually getting any value from he tracks? Are you taking exception with the shaped noise part or the dithering along the way as intermediate tracks get flattened? I know there's some arguments about flat vs noise shaping there, but anyone who doesn't dither tracks along the way will have huge truncation spikes! Well, unless the inherent noise in the track is high enough to act as its own dither. It would be impossible to see in a final spectrum as the final down sample will dominate.

An example, albeit one of yet another upsampled "hd track"
Are New HD Downloads Really Hi-Res Music? | Real HD-Audio

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!