John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
does it have accurate polar and bipolar models? leakage and DA and esl and dielectric DF, esr, TC C change with freq/voltage etc etc etc? if so thats cool.

-RNM

Just fill in, or ask the one who works for you on circuit design in spice to do it.

Attachments

• ltspice_parasitic.PNG
    ltspice_parasitic.PNG
    38.7 KB · Views: 237
There is leakeage in the transformers, between primary and ground (secondary). By the capacitances between primary and secondary coils.
As no transformer between different devices are exactly the same, this leakage differ both on phase and amplitude, depending on the frequencies. This create voltages between grounds, and those voltages, despite the high frequencies, create a current. This brings to the input parasitic HF components (AC is full of shi...)
You dont hear-it during silences, like hum or buzz, with a good system, but it create IM dynamically with the signal.more or less, depending of the amp's bandwidths. It is subtil, but audible: less transparency, less separation between instruments.

Yes of course, but again, effect of the parasitic LF and HF capacitive currents flowing through cable shield impedance (thus causing additional interference voltage in case of single ended link transfer) is easily measurable both in audio band and above it and you may precisely evaluate the effect. Based on this, you make a decision how to handle this. As this thread is full of active renowned audio professional designers, there is no need to give them hints how to rectify these issues, they can do it themselves.

It was just CoolEdit.

Dropbox - vibe.wav

I used a 10 sec .wav and 441000 FFT to avoid any ambiguity. I can't go back to tools that only do power of 2 FFT's too much fiddling with details.

It sounds like little trucks speeding by at extremely regular intervals. As one might expect. One can hear the number of trucks per second, plus the Doppler modified engine sounds.

The frequency of the number of trucks is real and can be measured, but is in an entirely different dimension than the frequency of the engine sound. So if you look at the engine sound frequency spectrum, you will not find it there.

Uh huh. I have about the smartest TV on the planet. The latest and greatest, as they would say. Somewhere that Netflix signal gets into your home... commonly via a coax (some lucky ones might be F.O.) via your cable provider.

That cable system is connected to earth ground and not necessarily to the same earth ground as power. New laws require it but if your home is not made recently, chances are the cable signal for internet is grounded where ever the cable enters the home. And not at the power utility box.

Thus, when two systems are connected together. a ground current loop is created.

Not that there are not solutions, because there are but maybe we should talk about it.

View attachment 664369

View attachment 664370

here we see the resulting current flow of two separate grounds.... between CATV cable grounding and utility power ground (wall outlet)
from being physically grounded outside the house at two different earth ground locations.

The solution was to cap couple the shield for RF only to pass.

THx-RNMarsh

Richard, isn't this the same as placing a cap in the signal path?

No, just faster.
Sorry, but, again, I don't fully agree. Richard has explained the problem of the ground loops with the coax cables of internet providers. I just had the fiber FTTH at home and the benefit can be heard even in my PC speakers.

YouTube

In my home, the difference in electric potential between my audio system and the cable's ground was so huge that i could feel-it by an electric shock, when i connected their grounds with hands.

Richard, isn't this the same as placing a cap in the signal path?
Not at all: the signal that crosses those caps is not analog, only digital datas. This said, the Richard's solution is good, but not perfect: It remove only low frequencies from the parasitic signals.

Last edited:
Nah, too busy listening to music.
Could not be possible, if it exists it would be too quiet to be heard over the sound of the speakers anyway.
When this snake oil fashion about cones under amplifiers and other electronic devices was on the air, I tried to measure the signal of a hit of a hammer on the chassis of various solid state gears. And I became interested in other more urgent things.
I have took the habit to do-it when i have finished the prototype of any printed circuit. A good way to detect bad welds or microphonic components at the same time.
It is also good to use vibration tables at the output of the assembly lines, as one of the final product testing procedures.
Also, it is always a good thing to avoid resonances and vibrations transmission, both for the equipment racks, and for components inside the chassis when we design-it. For an analog turn table, or a microphone, it is critical, and good dumping is part of the job.

Last edited:
There's probably more discussion about how wires, and particularly loops, form aerials on the hi-fi related internet than anything else, plenty of snake oil too. Each installation is unique and susceptible to its own problems. So is the solution unique. This makes it an interesting subject/problem to tackle, but a very boring one to talk about.

There is an error in dual bridge drawing (secondary is shorted through diodes)
Oh, yes, dimitry, you are right (as always) and I'm shamed.
A copy/paste stupid mistake. That explain this smell and smoke in my LTSPICE. I think I have to change the model of my diodes in it, the ones I used are probably exploded. ;-)
[edit]They are still alive: i did not powered the schematic, pushing the "run" button ;-)

Last edited:
While I am at it. Anybody here ever listened to his amplifier heatsinks? Seriously...

As Chris, I mean Anatech, that is: Chris whom art Anatech, can likely affirm, when fixing amps on the bench and running at high power into dummy loads during burn-in you can often hear the heatsink fins singing and the power transformer monotonically humming to the beat, apparently it doesn't know the words...

Seriously, what is even weirder is listening to the core of some switching supplies when driving complex loads in the audio band: the IM sidebands created by the interaction of the switching frequency and load modulation can be atonally weird. As a caveat: most well-designed switcher transformers make zero baseband audio noise at any load. However, I wonder if they create modulated 100KHz-1MHz acoustic noise? I'm afraid my ears aren't that good anymore, and I don't know any bats on a first-name basis so...

Cheers,
Howie

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Bad moon influence?

As this thread is full of active renowned audio professional designers, there is no need to give them hints how to rectify these issues, they can do it themselves.

Sure, but we do need to teach the professionals, right?

Pavel, many but not all are professional audio designers here.
Give knowledge a chance for the rest of us the poor amateurs.
Professional credentials are not been asked yet.
Elitism is not what I would enjoy here, modesty yes.

George

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Howie,
Now that you mention it, I have noticed some amplifiers ring on the heat sink, but that depends on how much power you are delivering. I've also heard various capacitors in the amplifier section and especially the zobel network across the output. I have wondered what could ring on the heat sink and might hunt for this at some point in time. It isn't something anyone would hear unless the amplifier was connected to a dummy load. I've heard noise coming from those too (Dale 8R 250 watt 1% non-inductive as was the industry standard).

I can't imagine anyone hearing that under home listening conditions unless they stuck their ear right up to the areas emitting sound. Even then, could someone locate the sound from within the amplifier? I don't think so but the chance is there. The power transformer hums more loudly too, louder that the other components do at 120 Hz. I KHz test tones are what I have heard without paying too much attention to anything. Because this is common, I tend not to think about it.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Pavel,
It depends too on how much training professionals have retained over the years and they need reminding. Also, I have noticed that many basic things were skipped in my own training and probably for most others too. We pick that up in two ways. Experience in the field, and by reading and studying the history of the profession. Fascinating reading for anyone learning early experiences before any good test gear was available. It's amazing how much they were able to find out!

Anyone with old textbooks or other electronic texts they don't want can send them here! :) I'll read them. Same goes for industry information, like papers and even old advertising material. Early advertising read with today's backdrop are stunning in their portrayal of women and non-educated people. Really interesting stuff. Anything from the 20's (or before) up into the 60's. I have all the RCA tube manuals, but not the big engineering manuals.

Caution. Reading this material will show you just how much information is simply rehashed from what was known before. "Nothing new under the sun".

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.