Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2019, 11:49 PM   #19861
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

Calling tube lovers everywhere

Balanced Audio Technology VK-56SE power amplifier | Stereophile.com

Have you assumed because loop area was infinite in my tongue in cheek post that it was therefore just a single wire ie no loop?
Old 25th May 2019, 12:01 AM   #19862
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
my tongue in cheek post
Sorry, I don't have enough time to activate my tongue in cheek detector. It will be permanently activated online when I'll retire.
Old 25th May 2019, 12:32 AM   #19863
jneutron is offline jneutron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn08 View Post
The inductance value diverges when loop area->oo. No cigar, here's why:

The inductance L is defined in terms of the current I flowing through the system and W, the magnetic energy density which is proportional to B^2.

L=(2/I^2)*I(W*do) where I is the integral over the the entire domain O.

Considering B inside the conductor (increases linearly from zero in the center) and outside the conductor (decreases as 1/r), assuming a current source applied to the ends of the wire, and enforcing as a boundary condition the tangential component of the magnetic flux density zero on the exterior boundary, we could in principle calculate the inductance using the above formula. The magnetic energy decreases as 1/r^2 so one would think this makes the integral above converge when the domain expands to oo. Flashnews, it doesn't, the integral diverges, L->oo ( is actually proportional to ln(r) ), therefore the inductance L of a straight single wire is ill defined. So the classic definition of inductance does not apply to the single straight wire inductance.

Sorry jneutron if I messed something in the above, there's quite some time since I last used Mr. Maxwell's work.
When I was coding an arbitrary conductor geometry inductance calculator (the same one I made my moniker with), I found inductance increased infinitely as I increased boundary infinitely. Course, my friend looked at me weird and said...of course, didn't you know that??
Sigh..

I admit, it is hard to follow HV towers playing jump rope.

Jn

Ps.. Playing with my mini mill now...3 axis dro, really cool fun stuff..I wil admit, trying to figure out how to work an android tablet left me screaming at the display...

Swipe up??? Who swipes up???? Arrrrggghhh!!!

PPS... None of you have any idea how well off you are... I'm on my patio under the umbrella enjoying some Meomi pino noir...there is a band two blocks away in town playing "I will survive".
OMG.
I like the song, I played it in clubs when it actually came out...

I am going to be sick... worse than karaoke.

Last edited by jneutron; 25th May 2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 25th May 2019, 01:05 AM   #19864
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
I always love how these valve amps have mains IM on every input signal at 30dB over the noise floor.
Old 25th May 2019, 01:10 AM   #19865
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

JN

We are going to disagree on Maxwell, after all it clearly doesn't cover beurblebees, and I have trouble believing any model is absolute.

As to air breakdown, one certainly could use tubes instead of solid wire, but you would still run into a limit where the tube walls would become too thin relatively speaking to resist damage from issues such as wind. Besides it probably is cheaper to run a second set of arms and more wire.

BTY power lines don't always see dry air! I assume you have seen some of the test equipment the HV power equipment guys and gal use to develop and test the gear. Kind of puts some of the Hollywood movie props to shame.

Last edited by simon7000; 25th May 2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 25th May 2019, 01:32 AM   #19866
jneutron is offline jneutron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
JN

We are going to disagree on Maxwell, after all it clearly doesn't cover beurblebees, and I have trouble believing any model is absolute.
WE do not disagree on Maxwell...your friend on the other hand, is incorrect...

Quote:
As to air breakdown, one certainly could use tubes instead of solid wire, but you would still run into a limit where the tube walls would become too thin relatively speaking to resist damage from issues such as wind. Besides it probably is cheaper to run a second set of arms and more wire.
No... The voltage gradient external to the conductor has nothing to do with the inside of the wire. Is is based only on the diameter externally.
Quote:
BTY power lines don't always see dry air!
agreed. However, the gradient based on geometry is the concern.
Jn
Old 25th May 2019, 02:27 AM   #19867
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

Tubes have a larger outside diameter than wire. Using really thick wire is limited by skin effect. High voltage power lines can run above 1,000 amps. Temperature rise is less of a problem in free air.
Old 25th May 2019, 02:43 AM   #19868
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
.....I saw a meter length of solid silver coax cable..... THEN, for years I puzzled over WHY this cable sounded so bright? I couldn't measure anything, so I passed it over to a hi fi dealer for an independent opinion, and they thought it was bright sounding too: Too bright! What a concept, something that I could not measure, sounding different?
My latest round of 'controversial' loopback recordings nicely illustrates brightening caused by silver, and a different dulling/damped sound caused by gold.
Both is an interesting and useful combination, not optimal perhaps but does instill a mood or vibe.

Quote:
There are lots of experiences like this, so I use better than common hardware store cables, including Kimber with my Met 7's, front, Monster with my Met 7's rear, and Cardas (Enid Lumley's former personal cable) for my serious listening Wilson Sasha speakers. I will never go back to zip cord.
White (titanium dioxide pigment) insulated zip cord sounds pretty good and better than say gray insulation.

Dan.
Old 25th May 2019, 02:59 AM   #19869
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

We have been studying the effects of wire in audio for more than 40 years. I can still hear differences between them, as can many professional reviewers. I stand by my experience.
Old 25th May 2019, 03:20 AM   #19870
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
professional reviewers.
An oxymoron?

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!