Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM   #19701
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
IF you want to judge audio electronics, both analog or digital, you MUST have a tweeter on your loudspeakers. It must extend to at least 20KHz without droop. If you do not, then you cannot hear a number of subtle factors that might improve audio sound quality overall.
Like the IM distortion of the tweeter.

Quote:
THE essential paper on this subject is: Kiryu and Ashihara “Detection of Threshold for tones above 22kHz.” – Convention paper 5401 presented at the 110th Convention, May 12-15 2001, Amsterdam.
The authors presented 13 subjects with a test signal consisting of a 2kHz tone combined with odd order harmonics, both sonic and ultrasonic.
The ultrasonic harmonics were switched on and off at a 2Hz rate.
ALL subjects could discriminate the ultrasonics when the combined signal was presented through a single loudspeaker.
NONE of the subjects could discriminate the ultrasonics when each ultrasonic harmonic was reproduced from a separate speaker.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #19702
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The style is very impressive done well as its almost entirely anti-ballet. In ballet its about fluid movements of the body, whereas bharatnatyam is a lot of only moving one part or limb with the rest solid. The skill and core control requirements are high to pull it off.
Old Today, 02:31 AM   #19703
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I would like to get back to what I am primarily interested in: Accurate reproduction of audio performances.
Many here love music, and listening to various varieties of it far more than I do. Just like some people like to drive their autos for fun. However, for the last 50+ years, I have concentrated on making more accurate playback equipment, mostly electronics, but also speakers, both horn and direct radiator, mixing consoles and analog master recorders. I have dipped into everything but digital, and even there I have done a lot of background work. Now what is my point?
IF you want to judge audio electronics, both analog or digital, you MUST have a tweeter on your loudspeakers. It must extend to at least 20KHz without droop. If you do not, then you cannot hear a number of subtle factors that might improve audio sound quality overall. This includes you, Scott Wurcer, and even you, T! Now, I normally listen without a 'tweeter' like you do, e.g. to my Sequerra Met 7's. I only turn on the Wilson's (that go to 20K) and when I put on the ultra tweeter, 40K seldom, because mostly it is uncomfortable to listen through this system unless the sources are pristine, and in general, they seldom are. The same goes for headphones. There are plenty of high quality headphones that are 'forgiving' like Audeze, etc. No, IF you really want to detect differences, you need quality electrostatic headphones like the STAX. Without such a headphone, you will miss out on subtlety. How do I know? Because I was loaned a pair of Audeze headphones ($1000) to evaluate the OPPO 105 headphone stage, when I was consulting with them. Guess what? The Audeze showed nothing wrong, but the STAX revealed the difference between the normal out and the headphone out. That is why I often use the STAX for serious evaluation, though I cannot be comfortable with them most of the time. The circuits were very similar, BUT the headphone amp loaded the final IC's too much, and it became audible.
Now, there is nothing wrong with listening without a tweeter or using planar headphones, IF you just want to enjoy the music, but don't be surprised if others detect differences in their systems that have a more extended frequency range, and low IM as well.
All fine points however, the nature is against those over 50 years old. Hearing loss and aging

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!