Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 12:56 PM   #19551
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
@billshurv

You spend hours agonizing over cart response over on the other thread but think its sub-optimal in the bass region. Why are you wasting you time on it - just go over to digital.
Because it's fun to experiment with these things. I make no claims of superiority just that a man needs a hobby this is as good a one as ever. I have 10x the number of digital recordings as analog and enjoy music from both sources.

Quote:
As has been discussed on many occasions, the speaker<>room interaction has by far the largest effect on perceived LF response and performance.
Yes but wrt to vinyl the discussion is more over how easily the ear is fooled rather than great bass.

Quote:
Vinyl may not be 'flat' (cart response, arm resonances etc) but at the systems level 'big scheme of things' nothing is perfect in a domestic listening environment. On that score, vinyl does a remarkable job of creating a realistic listening experience and the bass is good. Good luck if you can hear 2% distortion at LF.
Back to ear being easily fooled. Vinyl is mono below 150Hz

Quote:
You make it sound as if bass on vinyl is unlistenable. If you are finding your bass on vinyl is not up to scratch, then fix your system.
Where did I say that? Hint, I didn't.

Quote:
(If CCC at 8Hz important on pipe organ music, then I suggest you move into a listening space that can accommodate those wavelengths)
Nope don't need anything below 16Hz. My headphones are flat to 10Hz though.
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #19552
Max Headroom is online now Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tournesol View Post
Ok, I had listened to your files on my PC, my self powered Kef LS50, My big system. Plus headphones.

May I repeat what I told-you that I was not able to find an obvious differences large enough to take care of them ?

If i had read correctly, all the others , including Richard and its KBL M2 that answered to you in the forum made the same kind of answer.
With such an unanimity, which prove that even the most flawed "subjectivists" ;-), even with unmatched levels comparisons, are not so prompt to be under self influence, time for you to ask yourself questions about what you are convinced in.

Surprise ? It is exactly the kind of situation where, I, personally, begin to make blind test to figure out if I'm not fooling myself.

I have no right, nor logical argues, to pretend there is no difference. I just say that, if such differences in the nature of the sound exists, they are not so obvious to be in first place on the list of things to improve in my systems. And the list is depressive enough.

Friendly, really, I dislike to be in this position.
Do not stress, this is informal but still provides data, thankyou for your time and participation.

Ok, over the four folders I am surprised that you do not detect differences between the 01>02 files which is comparing Original File and Loopback recorded file.
It seems to me odd that you guys are not detecting this difference when others reliably do so.

My sister who is the female vocalist on the Jump demo selected the 03 version as her favourite after auditioning in random order 15 seconds of each of the four versions over mobile telephone.
A day later after downloading the files she stated that she liked the 03 - M1 version best (without knowing that she selected this version already the day before) when played on her portable good quality BT speaker.
My housemate readily hears the four versions and has the same opinions/preferences as I do.
So that's at least three ordinary listeners who do hear differences well enough to indicate preferences on various systems.

So we have you and Richard who admit to having listened, who else ?.

Dan.
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #19553
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tournesol View Post
The question I am asking myself is "Do the famous Jack Bybee (Thank to J.C.) believes himself in his own, hum, products ?".
I figure he can't help himself.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!