John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Mine don't, and I have three of them, all in the late 20's early 30's. They listen politely to the 60-70-80-90-00 stuff, they say nicely something like "wow, those were good times", then they are going back to their stuff (which, if nothing else, bores me to tears). I still have to find one piece of that music on their iPhones. Fortunately, we still have some common ground, but that's as far as it gets from the classic Beatles-Rolling Stones-hippy flower power-rock'n'roll path.

But are they ‘audio professionals’?

:D

I missed that, easy to hear but no input/output signal comparisons no matter the resolution show any difference. Ironic Jam comes from a Pass Labs background where the amplifier colorations are easily measurable (I consider Jam a good guy BTW). This all makes no sense on numerous levels.

It makes no sense because Evenharmonics quoted out of context. I first mentioned the story in this thread some time back, later talked more about it blog style in the ES9038Q2M board thread, that was it two posts. Jam asked me to try some cables he brought over. They were not fat, actually rather thin diameter, and 1 meter long. Gold pin Neutrik XLR connectors. I tried them alone not expecting anything since I didn't believe they could do anything different from my existing cables.

Okay, I was wrong. They sounded better. So I made up several pairs of XLR cables from different cable stock, and ordered a pair of the latest Mogami Gold quad start XLR cables 3' length. In my existing cables I found some older generation Mogami gold cable, pre-star quad. All cables were 3' and fitted with the same gold pin Neutrik XLRs.

Every single cable type sounded different, and Jam's sounded the cleanest to me.

They were used between the output of the AK4499 eval board and the Neurochrome HP-1 headphone amp.

Thing about Jam is that although he worked at Pass Labs for a few years, he learned how to design audio gear and did his own cable research long before arriving to work for Pass.

Since that time I have tried Jam's unbalanced RCA cables and speaker cable. Using them now in my system that has Richard's M2s hooked up at the moment. Again, the cables sounded better than what I was using before. The old speaker cables were 4' - 5' of #12 zip cord with Speakon connectors at the amp end.

Bottom line, once again Jam showed me something he knows that that I didn't know, but thought I did.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Your DAC output is oscillating or your preamp/amp input circuit has a problem.

Please put up a circuit diagram and let’s have a proper discussion.

I’ve been to numerous audio shows and had guys offer me their cables to use with my equipment. I usually say ‘yes’ because they look good and the punters expect to see fat wires all over the place - but not for any other reasons.

If you are using zip cord (cheap ‘twin flex’ usually used for lighting) then I expect oh a good high end system you will hear a difference since that stuff is designed for an amp or two and really doesn’t do justice when aprequired to conduct high current. But that’s it.

Last edited:
Your DAC output is oscillating or your preamp/amp input circuit has a problem.

Please put up a circuit diagram and let’s have a proper discussion.

I’ve been to numerous audio shows and had guys offer me their cables to use with my equipment. I usually say ‘yes’ because they look good but not for any other reasons.

What’s the problem when someone prefers the sound of one cable over another cable and feels happy with it ?
Like Syn08 said, probably most amps sound the same, be we go on and on building new ones because it gives satisfaction.
Thanks God, we are all different.

Hans

Last edited:
bonsai,
No problem with your intentions. However, I have since tried cables with other equipment including Benchmark DAC-3 and AHB2 amp. Not just the XLR cables, but RCA cables and speaker cables. The cables have audible effect, some low level linear distortion sounds like. Helps to have very low distortion audio equipment, be a skilled listener, and then listen carefully doing some A/B back and forth with cables. I never tried before because I assumed it couldn't matter. Doubt it would be noticeable with cell phone audio, or typical computer audio. Most likely there is some problem with your equipment, or you don't know how to listen. Happy to try and help you though :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.