John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, he says he hears well.

True

But there is strong evidence that he makes up <mis-hears?> things...

True

There is zero proof that he actually hears what he claims he do.

False.

I sent him some files, ones that PMA created. (Also sent him instructions for gettting started with Reaper.) I asked him to describe the differences between the files. He did so in great detail, although I wondered if he might have heard more than there really was. Can't say for sure on that latter point, but he heard real differences to my own satisfaction.

Probably there is some more going on where he is than we know about. He seems to have some enablers around him. By his voice I guess that he is not a small man, and from his description of bicycling to work I imagine he is in aerobic shape. Those things and a willingness to invite people he feels are dissing him out to the parking lot can have untoward effects on people's honesty around him. Of course, he can quickly switch to being quite charming if happy or some need for charm. If he asks someone if two files sound different it could be people can tell from the tone of his voice what the answer is supposed to be. Miraculously, everyone hears it just as Dan says, so they say anyway when he's around.

I might add that the above story is false, no doubt I have things wrong since I have constructed a story based on my very limited observations including a small number of phone calls with Dan. Yet, its the closest thing I can think of.

Last edited:
Doubtful. If so, you need to see PMA about working on listening skills.

That you need a new joke writer?

...considering one of those is a negative regulator

Those are both positive regulators unless someone edited their post. LT3045 is the higher current LT3042. LT3094 is the negative version of the LT3045.

Either way, it's of no use. Around here, anyone arguing that there is no audible difference between ANY two conditions will be accused of either not listening, or being deaf / untrained / listening system not good enough. It does not matter if you have young/undamaged ears, lots of hours of listening experience, and well-regarded equipment because it will never be good enough.

Your tactical efforts to discredit anything that comes against your vested interest are truly amazing :rofl:.

Yes. To be fair to Mark, he's expressed the same opinions long before he started dabbling in a commercial venture from what I understand.

Last edited:
Yes. To be fair to Mark, he's expressed the same opinions long before he started dabbling in a commercial venture from what I understand.

I believe such opinions are a prerequisite for entering the High End Audio business. Without them, nobody could even hope to be successful.

Interesting question, anybody heard of a successful (not to say famous) audio designer with a normal, humble human being hearing, and ready to admit it? None around, as far as I can tell... except perhaps Nelson Pass?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.