Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2019, 06:53 PM   #15611
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpauk View Post
None of those surround soundy things work for me. I mean they sound ... interesting, but fake.
Fake is OK but do they achieve the desired result, the Star Trek franchise makes big use of them. Even on a cheap Kindle in the dark, above, behind, all work.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:06 PM   #15612
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

It's hard to describe - I can sort of hear what it's supposed to do, but the illusion collapses to 2 speakers as soon as I try and listen to it.
I assume it's that something in my brain knows it's a fake, and won't play ball. A bit like, once you have seen past an optical illusion, you can't see the illusion any more.
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, ... your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin

Last edited by gpauk; 14th March 2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:12 PM   #15613
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

The illusion can be fragile. I'm afraid I have to take statements like Mark's inch or less width in perceived image with a pinch of salt
Old 14th March 2019, 07:18 PM   #15614
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

someone here mentioned a DAC that can be had as just pcb all the way up to completed unit without case.
I cant find it ... which was it?

It had some characteristics that should help with low level details like reverb/room sound and decay.

The lack of low level detail of DAC3 might be related to a dynamic range shift upward with the bits to achieve their greater head room at peak levels.

-RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 14th March 2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:24 PM   #15615
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpauk View Post
Mark4... The reverb tails you refer to - if this is what it sounds like it is, it should be readily measurable? Did I miss some measurements?

On the localisation (soundstage, stereo image...) point - people hear differently. The illusion works well for some, not so much for others, it's very much a subjective phenomenon. Same with surround sound stuff. Perhaps it's no surprise that small effects would make a difference to different people therefore - but that should still be measurable.
Have you tried running mono information in dacs?
Is there any reason why this is not level linearity? If you have 9 technically well behaving ones, and the 10th one expose more "reverb tails" I would guess it is because it's compressing (as appose to expanding or linear).

//

Last edited by TNT; 14th March 2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:31 PM   #15616
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Is there any reason why this is not level linearity?
Measurements of the same model dac, Benchmark DAC-3, was described on the measurements of page of the Stereophile review as follows:
"Benchmark's DAC3 HGC offers state-of-the-art measured performance. All I can say is "Wow!"óJohn Atkinson"

The measurements can be found at:
Benchmark DAC3 HGC D/A preamplifier-headphone amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com
Old 14th March 2019, 07:37 PM   #15617
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is there any reason why this is not level linearity? If you have 9 technically well behaving ones, and the 10th one expose more "reverb tails" I would guess it is because it's compressing (as appose to expanding or linear).

//
Yes, it has no problem with low-level detail. Only imagined problems.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:10 PM   #15618
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

It? DAC-3? I did not mean that DAC-3 has linearity problems - my understanding is that it hasn't. But other DAC might have and these can be experienced as having wonderful "reverb tails" - i.e. probably compressing.

//
Old 14th March 2019, 08:16 PM   #15619
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It? DAC-3? I did not mean that DAC-3 has linearity problems - my understanding is that it hasn't.
Your understanding is correct, it does not have linearity problems. It also does not reproduce audible low level reverb tails. Clearly the problem is not due to linearity. You appear to me to be thinking like an analog guy, no offense intended, understanding analog is a good thing. However, with S-D dacs it might help to try thinking like a DSP guy.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:43 PM   #15620
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

So -- what are these "reverb tails"? Clearly it's not the the end of a room reverberation decay else RTxx measurements would apply.
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, ... your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!