John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to put numbers on these things since some extraordinary resolution is now available. I was able to detect -145dB 3rds in a 1 kHz 600 Ohm L/C filter @7V rms siting on a steel lab bench.

The LA article gave -150dB up to 2Vrms into 2K or so for reed relays. AFAIK all our A/D and DAC demo cards were made with off the shelf SMT parts to take all the datasheet curves.

Yes, I think Bruno P found he could not use reed relays in the attenuator for his crazy DAC, but that's only a practical issue when you are chasing numbers that challenge the AP.

And since -150 dB is good for 24 bits of resolution they should be fine for the application. I have some old ones removed from an amateur built mixing console. Ones intended to be a power relay as far as reed relays go. Source impedance 100 ohms, load 10,000 ohms and distortion -122 dB re 1 volt. Not a good choice as less expensive and better audio relays exist.

BTY those miniature Teledynes relays really are great and of course pricey.

Here we go again, back to pathological cases and parts. You had one dubious example of a reed relay (how do you know magnetics was involved?) and now you are extrapolating to all magnetic components. Jakob(x) can tell you what this is.

I have some carbon composition resistors from the 50’s (pulled from an old Rubin 2 Russian BW TV), distorting -90dB @10V of LF across, have steel flat terminals, therefore all resistors are crap.

Last edited:
No, all steel used for these purposes has magnetic hysteresis. It is one of the design criteria competent designers are aware of and usually avoid it entirely as it is easy to do. When it can't be avoided it should be accounted for. Ignoring it or categorizing it is simplistic and not productive.

Not surprisingly the distortion in reed relays is directly proportional to the switch length.

Last edited:
That would be very interesting to hear. Unfortunately, it would have to be cobbled together to try it, at least I am not aware of an existing system designed to work that way.

I did a few systems like this in the mid-1990s and it works quite well once eq'ed. As I have bored people here before with the telling; circuits put into production without compensation despite NDA in place...

Howie

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
jn is the person for this, he knows more about it than most. BTW the shunt networks on the speaker defeat the current sensing of the actual driver's current so you don't want both the current drive and impedance correction.

Well, yes for magnetic circuits. But this shows a problem here ----

One knows electronic circuits and one other knows magnetic and one other knows electro-magnetic/speakers. Few know a lot in all these areas. So, a solution goes unfound to many issues.

How could one know that back-emf exists and could be used in an electronic circuit in such a way to reduce speaker distortion without knowing somethings about both fields.

LLNL is a matrix R&D organisation to get this cross-pollination of skills for new solutions and ideas.

View attachment Proj Man LLNL.pdf

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
How could one know that back-emf exists and could be used in an electronic circuit in such a way to reduce speaker distortion without knowing somethings about both fields.

This stuff has been around for decades it has not proven to have compelling commercial value. As PMA correctly states you can't just take an ordinary set of drivers with passive crossover and just current drive it.

Requiring intelligent customization and/or user intervention in consumer audio is a show stopper. In even the common powered speakers today how many are there?

No, all steel used for these purposes has magnetic hysteresis. It is one of the design criteria competent designers are aware of and usually avoid it entirely as it is easy to do. When it can't be avoided it should be accounted for. Ignoring it or categorizing it is simplistic and not productive.

Not surprisingly the distortion in reed relays is directly proportional to the switch length.

Come up with some proof that resistors with magnetic (copper plated iron leads) have any relevant/audible effect for audio. Or at least measurable without going in the -140dB dreamland territory. Missing that, congratulations for joining the FUD perpetrators team. You are in a good companion.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
This stuff has been around for decades it has not proven to have compelling commercial value. As PMA correctly states you can't just take an ordinary set of drivers with passive crossover and just current drive it.

Requiring intelligent customization and/or user intervention in consumer audio is a show stopper. In even the common powered speakers today how many are there?
Well, I disagree. he should try it and then decide. Arm chair critic on this is worthless. It works perfectly fine in any multi-way systems.

The major resonance to be addressed is the bass speaker. The other drivers do not produce anywhere near as much back -emf.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Come up with some proof that resistors with magnetic (copper plated iron leads) have any relevant/audible effect for audio. Or at least measurable without going in the -140dB dreamland territory. Missing that, congratulations for joining the FUD perpetrators team. You are in a good companion.

Changing the subject. It is the inherent distortion in reed relays. I have published the results of different resistors. Those issues are dominated by temperature coefficient. Much less so by what is called a voltage coefficient.

Capacitors are where it is much more common to have plated steel leads.

But that is a different subject. This started about cleaning contacts and relays got added.

Exactly, there are dozens of hi end speakers that are both dsp crossovered and amp per driver in the speaker, the easiest route to current drive. Do any of them use current drive? Do you guys actually think JBL ( Harman etal. ) Genelec, Dynaudio, Focal, Meyer, etc etc etc have all missed this? And now a guy who dosnt even know complex math is going to enlighten everyone? Only at diyaudio.com.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Exactly, there are dozens of hi end speakers that are both dsp crossovered and amp per driver in the speaker, the easiest route to current drive. Do any of them use current drive? Do you guys actually think JBL ( Harman etal. ) Genelec, Dynaudio, Focal, Meyer, etc etc etc have all missed this? And now a guy who dosnt even know complex math is going to enlighten everyone? Only at diyaudio.com.
I am sure many have missed it. As many here have missed it. But not all of them.

Scott --- cop-out answere; No compelling commercial value? hahaha. Since when did that deter any one from doing better? Certainly not at a forum where JC and others will do what ever it takes to keep improving accuracy of the audio System.

I repeat that all the speaker mfr that make the best drivers possible.... JBL etal... dont seem to do as well when it comes to amplifiers. Not there forte.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I am sure many have missed it. As many here have missed it. But not all of them.

Scott --- cop-out answere; No compelling commercial value? hahaha. Since when did that deter any one from doing better? Certainly not at a forum where JC and others will do what ever it takes to keep improving accuracy of the audio System.

Hahaha. Commercial value? Since when did that deter any one from doing worse?
Certainly on a forum where JC and others will do whatever it takes for another 40 years of stagnation.

I repeat that all the speaker mfr that make the best drivers possible.... JBL etal... dont seem to do as well when it comes to amplifiers. Not there forte.

THx-RNMarsh
Jbl can afford to pay some one to design any amp they want. And I doubt anyone whos been making speakers for 30 years has never tried current drive. Those are all prety lame excusses.

Last edited:
Changing the subject. It is the inherent distortion in reed relays. I have published the results of different resistors. Those issues are dominated by temperature coefficient. Much less so by what is called a voltage coefficient.

Capacitors are where it is much more common to have plated steel leads.

But that is a different subject. This started about cleaning contacts and relays got added.

Ok replace resistors with relays in the above and come up with a reed relay distortion example, measurements and audibility. Word of mouth doesn’t count.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I would posit that 1 main reason for current drive being unused is the complication of not having a common ground. (to both channels)
:) :cool: Also many of these compact amps are "digital" and do not lend themselves to easily use this technique any more.

THx-RNMarsh
I asked before have you had your M2's converted to current drive?
The M2 is a package which includes "digital" power amps with DSP crosover. So no. As soon as I get them to Bangkok and have the analog amps then definitely that is a YES. I have already measured the cross-over characteristics i need when I replace the digital amps. Why do you ask?

THx-RNMarsh
Hahaha. Commercial value? Since when did that deter any one from doing worse? Certainly on a forum where JC and others will do whatever it takes for another 40 years of stagnation.
hahaha OK

-RNM

View attachment Proj Man LLNL.pdf

Relay measurements have been done. Same with resistor measurements. There are no open issues. Why are you confused?

Because as I said, lip service doesn't count. Show the results, and hopefully they are credible and reproductible. Scott just mentioned his results, and I have no reason to doubt them, since they match my own practical experience (mind you, I have myself a considerable experience in the same semi industry, different branch).

Status
Not open for further replies.