John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
As you can spot from the graph Pavel showed, it has a double resonance on the low end, indicative of a BR enclosure.

It shows because there are tiny (<<.2 dB) variations in the impedance plot, caused by a less than infinite damping factor in the preceeding chain. But it also shows it is a good amp, because, from experience, I know that such an impedance peak is usually at least 12 dB over Re.

On the whole, the larger the back EMF is at resonance of a driver, the better it is. The M2 will also show two impedance peaks on the low end. The second peak will be the highest, and in the case of this JBL high end speaker, it will be very high. The reason is that Harman knows that speakers with low Qms are best to be avoided.

This is not to you only.....

How can some of you EE guys miss the point so badly!

The subject is back-emf. Relating the Q to freq resp etc is Not on target.

I asserted that the back-emf is highest at resonance. My idea to sample the current with a small series R fed back into amp does significantly lower the driver's distortion at and around resonance. It was measured and reported in an article I wrote in TAA. Complete with schematic, how-to, test data before and after.

Decades ago. Did anyone here read it? I think Joe is attempting to explain it. But it does work and works well in practice.

As I said before, it would help a lot to try to find an explanation when people actually really do hear changes and improvements (lower distortion etc).

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
RNMarsh said:
How can some of you EE guys miss the point so badly!
Perhaps this is because no coherent point has been made? Just some rambling based on confusion about electromechanical systems, simple electrical circuits etc. Every time Joe tries to explain himself again he drops himself right in it by making elementary errors. Why should we assume he has something deep to tell us when he clearly doesn't understand trivial matters?

So during three months your sound degrades, why would you not apply contact treatment/oil and eliminate this recurring problem ?. What is the nature of the degradation and when does it become a noticeable problem, or to put it another way what is the nature of the subjective improvement after contact cleaning ?. Do all cables go back into same sockets and cables refitted in original directions ? Ok, could you give a little rundown on what items are battery powered and how please ?. What is the nature of the degradation as the batteries sag/what is the nature of this huge difference when new battery is swapped in ?. What types/chemistries and capacities of batteries please ?. I find that my system sound is stable, that said I run laptop on batteries, USB DAC and amplifier AC power filtering. Also usually the only electrical items operating in the house is the fridge, router/modem and some lighting, IOW there are no other AC power noise sources operating on the same AC supply circuit....no standby items, no chargers no nothing.

Dan.

Dan,

I listen to music in the hayloft of our barn. It is freezing cold and damp in winter and often bone dry and boiling hot in summer.

Sometimes in the winter it will rain nonstop for a month, and if I am not careful everything becomes damp with the risk of mould. The rig is kept spotlessly clean. Gathering dew at dusk and dawn forms in between contacts, expands and contracts, attracts dust and organic particulates. The horn speaker will often sound leaden due to the damp air. Batteries will underperform to give less dynamic range with a fall off in bass.

I take everything apart, clean all contacts and put it all back together exactly as it was. Batteries are recharged whenever I hear the sound quality declining. When it gets down to about -10C, I take all the electronics and batteries up to the house, and mothball the horn speaker in a tarp with a couple kilos of silica gel. And switch to wearing headphones.

I don’t see all this as much of a problem really, just a matter of basic chemistry and physics. No fancy stuff, just bottom shelf electronics that match well together.

The best sound I get is in summer, with everything clean and dry, freshly charged batteries (PbH2SO4 for amp, NiMeHi for valve buffer+guitar pedal eq, and LiPO4 for iPod) with an ambient air temperature under 30C.

ToS

Now you are starting to wise up. You were rude previously to people you were convinced were totally wrong. You tried to get them to shut up and go away. There are people talking past each other here, some people are much more educated than others, some with much more skilled hearing than others, and some who make mistakes and get fooled at times when listening despite being mostly skilled. Then there are some who are sometimes excessively intolerant of those who are unlike themselves. Welcome to your new perspective here on the thread, you will probably figure it out for yourself after expending some time and effort, and after doing some introspective thinking too.

All the foregoing IMHO only, of course.

I always regret being rude, except for when being patronised. Even then I can change my mind about someone. I look for the good and accept that not much can be done about the bad. And there are some here in this thread who I keep well away from.

If you can forgive me for saying so, I don’t exactly feel that you have an altogether good opinion about me.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Nothing else than an equivalent RLC circuit. The only difference is that the speaker is non-linear. If you put iron core coil into the RLC model circuit impedance, you get it as well. Though different. That "back-emf" evil is a non-issue.
It maybe a non issue to traditional thinking as it applies to speaker design. However, back-emf can be used to lower the drivers distortion at resonance in a better way than traditional spkr/box design can do alone.

First, understand it, try it, listen and measure. you will like it.

THx-RNMarsh

===
Regarding a clean break or arc-free break on contacts --- see mercury wetted contacts. Very fast and 'clean' disconnect.

To prevent arcing... speed of disconnect is important. In the HV world.... to get the distance needed to break contact without arcing the compressed air-blast breaker is used. It literally blows or blasts the contacts away from each other.

-RNM

Mercury wetted contacts worry me, because of previous experience with them. They seem to make the sound more 'forgiving' compared to silver on silver contacts. You, Richard, may remember when we tested them at Peter Moncrieff's place, about 40 years ago, as they were in the Spiegel ABX box. That is why I was so interested in your CAP DA test set-up. There were the CLARE mercury relays! I hope that you take that with you, when you go. Personally, I would love to test those CLARE relays today with my better test equipment that I now have available.

When it comes to making measurements, why bother, unless you can really prove something? Ears work better than virtually any test equipment, so I usually listen first, THEN, if possible, try to measure why something sounds the way it does. I did extensive measurements in the past, but I don't have the same 'energy' to bother, anymore. I would rather read textbooks, etc.

If you don’t mind me saying so, I don’t exactly feel that you have an altogether good opinion about me.

Hmm... I don't know exactly. Opinions of that nature are not purely based on logic, and I don't have a strong feeling about it. I like you better when you are not rude, that's the main thing. Happy to have you here and participating, sorry if I haven't made that come across.

Last edited:
The linear audio article is from 2017, so hardly 'old'. But the minimum current requirement for connection on a modern panasonic relay is low enough that its only daft eejits like me who are switching sub mV signals who need to consider reed relays.

I wish Jan all the best, but think that the impact factor overall isn't high enough.
Of course, 2017 is not that old, but one could argue that the publication about this stuff shows that it is of interest (maybe because it is not part of the standard process).

The Panasonic is fine (a few others are too) but IMO one will only choose/find the Panasonic (or one of the others) if he already is aware of the problem, as there are/were literally hundreds of "signal relais" without any hint to the problem given in the datasheets. Ok, could happen by accident too..... :)

Last edited:
Hmm... I don't know exactly. Opinions of that nature are not purely based on logic, and I don't have a strong feeling about it. I like you better when you are not rude, that's the main thing. Happy to have you here and participating, sorry if I haven't made that come across.

I like it better when I’m not being rude, too. Not entirely sure that being online always brings out the best in people. Perhaps it is from my roots where being sarcastically rude can often be very funny to the person on the receiving end - it shows that you actually care. OK, we can be friends now.

It depends, sometimes the question/comment can be rephrased/explained numerous times and still dismissed/ignored, no problem.

I hope we can agree that this something different?!

I have learned that when someone does ask for it to be rephrased etc, the chances are that it's one long waste of time. A classic example would be the Joe saga

As said (implicitely) before, I do ask for rephrasing, if I think/feel that I didn't understand the question.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yes, I first did it in the early eighties, I do not understand that there should be so much objection to this simple electrical engineering concept. Evidently nobody else except for you, me, Joe and Tournesol have dared to venture from the same old path and perform this experiment. IME in the case of mid-fi amps and receivers loudspeaker impedance eq is essentially mandatory for acceptable subjective performance and no amount of 'tweaks' like cable rolling etc will correct this elementary error. The likes of MIT cables and others incorporate RC networks which can be diy'ed for a few dollars and turn a system from mediocre/irritating to enjoyably musical and intelligible, win/win for less than the price of a coffee and cake.

Dan.

Seems no one knows and even when you show them, they just go right past it. Must be they dont understand what was said or done.

Joe is talking about back-emf. I am also and using it in a way to lower driver output THD. Seems like something we all might like to see happen. But, nope. Amazing to me.

THx-RNMarsh

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I wish Jan all the best, but think that the impact factor overall isn't high enough.
Of course, 2017 is not that old, but one could argue that the publication about this stuff shows that it is of interest (maybe because it is not part of the standard process).

The Panasonic is fine (a few others are too) but IMO one will only choose/find the Panasonic (or one of the others) if he already is aware of the problem, as there are/were literally hundreds of "signal relais" without any hint to the problem given in the datasheets. Ok, could happen by accident too..... :)

Come on Jakob!!! Scott worked in semi's his whole life and these kinds of relays are used all over in small signal ATE. I worked in power mosfets for 10 years (business and marketing) but I've seen enough ATE test setups in the assembly centres full of small signal relays switching uA and low Voltage signals without any hitch - and in the Philippines, Hong Kong and Guangdong where its hot and sweaty most of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.