Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2018, 05:35 AM   #111
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi John,
If that's all the choice there is out there, time to dig up something old and well worth upgrading. I was lucky enough to get a Revox B-261. It was sold to me cheap because someone had done a lousy alignment on it. I had to run through the alignment twice to get everything back where it should be. Of course once that was done, I just had to play with the audio section. Just did a Marantz 125 and 150 recently. They both turned out well and have good sound quality. The 150 is mine and needed a complete rebuild, and the "good" scope tube required replacement as it was too dim to read. The replacement tube cost me $200 after shipping. Anyway, it works well now and I'm ready to go play with that audio section.

You know, if a tuner will bring every station available, it isn't worth a hoot if it doesn't sound good. Otherwise, you won't use it. What's the point then? John, you know what you're doing with audio. Go get a good older tuner (Revox would be excellent) and have it aligned. Once you get it back, have at it and improve the audio. That will include replacing an op amp (sorry). Some McIntosh tuners are quite good as well. They always need the audio improved. Just make sure you use a good McIntosh approved technician. Locally there is a real destructive "technician" who is authorized by McIntosh (I am too). But this clown has destroyed so much product ... I've had to bring a few units back to life after he's been in there. I have one tuner in the dead pile because he took the cores from the MPX section. All of them! So check with McIntosh before letting anyone touch a McIntosh product.

There are other good tuners, and I think you should concentrate on ones that can sound good. The RF stuff can be set up, but if the audio is a lost cause, there isn't any reason to consider that particular tuner.

-Chris
Old 19th February 2018, 07:05 AM   #112
RNMarsh is online now RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I chose this Sony tuner, because Richard Sequerra told me it was the best design out there today.
which model is it? HD Radio? Really small. I have that one also. Super RF specs. I can only use the Kenwood and Sony HD because the others cant bring in distant stations.

I would love to get my hands on a good Revox FM tuner, though.

-RM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 19th February 2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 19th February 2018, 07:13 AM   #113
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
The first 10min or so or until you get to the Pono comments is charming.

YouTube

Despite being a bit overly self-serving there at the end I enjoyed it.... But hard to hear a guy talk about disingenuous marketing while in the very process of marketing himself. ďTrust no one, but me!Ē Heard that before.

Unfortunately he seems credible enough to assume that itís evidence of yet another giant ridiculous money grab circus.

But I guess what isnít these days? To me itís really sad how pervasive it is in modern culture.

I think Iíll stick with my ďlow resolutionĒ LPs and 320kbps rips. On the plus side Iíve only had to buy them once! Screw you late stage capitalism!

Also, I just canít accept anyone taking jabs at Neil, Young, even if the Pono player was a bit disappointing. At least he tried.
Old 19th February 2018, 08:43 AM   #114
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceistheplace View Post
Unfortunately he seems credible enough to assume that itís evidence of yet another giant ridiculous money grab circus.
But I guess what isnít these days? To me itís really sad how pervasive it is in modern culture.
All's fair in love and war and business
Old 19th February 2018, 10:10 AM   #115
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

These PMLCAP's look very interesting, are there here people that have/are used/using them, and are there any (sound)quality reports for/of them?
Old 19th February 2018, 12:07 PM   #116
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Despite being a bit overly self-serving there at the end I enjoyed it.... But hard to hear a guy talk about disingenuous marketing while in the very process of marketing himself. ďTrust no one, but me!Ē Heard that before.
I wish he took his idea of source material back one more step, if you know what I mean (I don't find his catalog compelling). This is typical of audiophile labels these days.
Old 19th February 2018, 01:00 PM   #117
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Also, I just canít accept anyone taking jabs at Neil, Young, even if the Pono player was a bit disappointing. At least he tried.
Pretty light jab. I admit the joke about Neil and his buddies driving around in their '72 caddie hear the difference was not necessary. But doesn't this underscore the controversy we have here, professional engineers whose business is making recordings don't hear any difference?
Old 19th February 2018, 01:37 PM   #118
RNMarsh is online now RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdW View Post
These PMLCAP's look very interesting, are there here people that have/are used/using them, and are there any (sound)quality reports for/of them?
I do not know about that. Get some and try them and then let us know. That 'beat sound' and distortion from it is interesting also and could apply to many other cap types.

THx-Richard

Last edited by RNMarsh; 19th February 2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 19th February 2018, 02:55 PM   #119
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I wish he took his idea of source material back one more step, if you know what I mean (I don't find his catalog compelling). This is typical of audiophile labels these days.
Hasn't it ALWAYS been the case that audiophile labels rarely produce stuff you would actually want to listen to. Crystal Clear being a prime example from the 70s! There are a few classical labels that put in the effort, but mostly its mixed for the target market.
Old 19th February 2018, 03:23 PM   #120
hhoyt is offline hhoyt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Pretty light jab. I admit the joke about Neil and his buddies driving around in their '72 caddie hear the difference was not necessary. But doesn't this underscore the controversy we have here, professional engineers whose business is making recordings don't hear any difference?
The Pono concept collapsed due to a number of factors including spotty marketing, and they didn't use PayPal and insisted on CC entry for every purchase, making buying from them clumsy. Also the final straw was Apple Corp. purchasing Omniphone, the company Pono was licensing the remasters from who then discontinued the license.

I am a confirmed portable music aficionado and was on the Pono Player beta team and I have to say, having used Apple, Sony, A&K and the Pono Player that the Pono has a truly great sounding DAC. Say what you will about him and his wooden wire trestles, Charles and crew did a fine job with that design. Not that the others do not, and not having had all of them at the same time I recuse myself from actually comparing them. The closest I came to doing that is comparing each when I had it to my reference Auralic Vega. The most disappointing thing about the Pono Player is the battery life, it's charge circuitry just sucks.

At the risk of thread drift I will repeat the best thing about HD remasters can be (in some cases) a really great new master from the original sources. Of the hundreds I have listened to, there are quite a few which stand out as worthwhile purchases over their poorly-transferred CD predecessors.

The question of whether mastering engineers (of which I was one) can hear the difference between CD and HD is a moot point to me. It depends strongly on the dynamic range of the recording itself and HD is a bigger bucket. There are so many other factors which go into a great sounding piece of end-user media, the actual sampling rate or number of bits are just two. I will say mastering for CD does require one to carefully watch dynamic range and level setting, as digital clipping sounds like crap, and depending on the dither used the noise floor is not necessarily euphonic.

With some highly dynamic sources, when all goes well on an HD master the result can potentially be closer to the original multi-track playback. At that point, will a 16 bit 44.1 K transfer sound worse than a 24 bit 96k transfer? Peak limited or gain ridden? For what kind of music? Transferred for similar average or peak levels?...questions for those who are hung up on it. I will continue getting the HD transfers where the difference with the older format merits it and not worry. Storage is cheap.

Speaking to specifics, has anyone had the opportunity to hear Giles Martin's CD (no HD release yet) remaster of that obscure album Sgt. Peppers? Not that anyone needs to hear it again, but I recently had an opportunity to compare the previous best George Martin remastered FLAC version to the new Giles Martin CD, and I hope Giles remasters a lot more in the future. It is a truly amazingly 3D mix with phenomenal separation and clarity of all instruments individually tracked compared to previous attempts by his father, of which I have many (yeah, Beatles freak too...). Highly recommended!

Cheers!
Howie

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!