John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Bonsai. I will retire there and travel and be closer to my girl who will come live with us after her degree is completed. I have to check out DaDod's amps there... cant seem to keep them from blowing output devices all by them selves. Reduced idle by 1/2 and will see if that solves the mystery.

Other than that... will be looking at larger property to buy. Real-estate in the city going thru the roof now.... but suburbs still OK. And, I will ship a lot of test equipment over there soon. But what to do with the audio system here? Those two big, heavy M2 will cost a small fortune to ship.

THx-RNMarsh

I never blown any of my output devices, no in 100W version(I use six of them to drive Orion loudspeakers and many more were built by others) neither in 200W version. I use 120, 130 mA per pair.
If the load is to low, let say 2 ohm, it can't be driven to full power with four output pairs of IRFP240/9240 for prolonged time.
It sims very strange to me, stability is not the reason for sure.
BR Damir

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Something seems to have changed. Don't how much is attributable to this thread. Very often, there is more to a story than may be immediately apparent.

Some of it is that I see the same old issues never die, they just go into periodic remission. Its a like a microcosm of the banned subjects. The same aspects of human nature that cause problems with those subjects actually affect all controversial subjects, just somewhat less intensely in the case of allowed topics.
When 2 camps have dug their trenches yes it can cause problems. However I see it a different way. The number of people in one of the camps in this thread are quite small, but a couple of trouble makers with too much time on their hands drag it into a binary discussion. It's like the earthbound version of Brockian Ultra cricket, except they are hitting from a safe distance empowered by the isolation of the internet.

The sane approach is just to not discuss these topics on this thread as they are hiding in the shadows giggling like hyenas ready to pounce and stamp out any attempt at finding common ground...

Joined 2002
Paid Member
your suggestion to establish Ancient Greek as the default communication language over here.
Not sure that it will lessen the level of incomprehension, but it is likely that it would relax the atmosphere. ;-)

No doubt, everyone has no difficulty reading the Ancient Greek text.
If not, before materializing the suggestion, please PM me

George

Attachments

• Homer.png
    Homer.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 187
  • Euclid.png
    Euclid.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 190
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
JC --- Do you have the AES preprint No. 1392 (L-7) ??

Threshold of Audibility of TIM

by Petri-Larmi. and M. Otala 1978

Very interesting info there. A few listeners were able to detect 0.003% TIM when the distortion is averaged over 250 msec.

"The most sensitive listener could detect the limitation of the signal first derivitive to 4 times 10 to the 3rd power V/Vs. '

THx-RNMarsh

Joined 2014
Paid Member
What I’ve been going on about with this whole sound/music emotion thing is exactly like that....entering a ‘zone’ which otherwise doesn’t exist except for the perfect blending of conditions.
Most of those conditions are in your head though. if conditions are right you can enter the zone via willing suspension of disbelief with a cheap pair of headphones off your phone.

Of course for a particular musical genre there are aspects of the replay and especially the room interaction that will aid that suspension, but as you may have noticed first and second order effects are rarely seriously discussed here. I mean why bother about +/-3dB on the speaker FR when you can mess around with distortion below the level of the movement of air molecules! Or believe in something magical about a wire.

As Howie sagely pointed out, everyone has a room which is different which makes comparisons other then headphones impossible and then only when both people have the same headphones.

Then put muscial preference into the mix and it gets really messy. For example to chill out at the end of the day I might listen to this YouTube (for those who watch try not to laugh at the pictures they used). It's an accoustic recording in a space with around a 5 second decay time. Complex reverbs abound and you can only do a poor fascsimile with 2 channels of being there. And I bet >50% of the people on this thread don't even like choral music. But for me, on the right day, in the right frame of mind this piece transports me. As do thousands of others. An Indian Raga is some people's idea of hell. I love them (Indian wife helps).

Which all comes round to the fact that due to the difficulties in coming up with common music, zones and language to accurately describe things we just go round in circles on this thread arguing sh*t that doesn't actually matter much in the big picture (IMO).

In summary, run whilst you can! :D

. And I bet >50% of the people on this thread don't even like choral music. But for me, on the right day, in the right frame of mind this piece transports me. As do thousands of others. An Indian Raga is some people's idea of hell. I love them (Indian wife helps).

I grew up with Gregorian chant, this is pure heaven (so to speak). Sandy Bull, Robbie Basho, and John Fahey used the raga style applied to old timey blues music.

Most of those conditions are in your head though. if conditions are right you can enter the zone via willing suspension of disbelief with a cheap pair of headphones off your phone. <snip>

I’m going to stick with it until I figure it out......it’s not imagination.

It’s fairly obvious you have no idea what I’m talking about.....

For one I can’t make it happen from YouTube I don’t think 165kbps mp4 has enough juice, I’ve tried.....With the system dialed there is no recordings on YT it comes across in this fashion even WiFi direct into the dac.

It’s fairly obvious you have no idea what I’m talking about.....

I think you are talking about different things. I think you are talking about the feeling you get when the music sounds hyper realistic as if the performance is in your room and yes that can give you a spine tingling feeling, whereas others, me included probably, are talking about the emotional engagement with the music irrelevant of the quality of reproduction

For one I can’t make it happen from YouTube I don’t think 165kbps mp4 has enough juice, I’ve tried.....With the system dialed there is no recordings on YT it comes across in this fashion even WiFi direct into the dac.
I can't help thinking there's something wrong with your speakers/room set up, I can listen to the Red Hot Peppers and it sounds as though they're here

I think you are talking about different things. I think you are talking about the feeling you get when the music sounds hyper realistic as if the performance is in your room and yes that can give you a spine tingling feeling, whereas others, me included probably, are talking about the emotional engagement with the music irrelevant of the quality of reproduction

In a nutshell....yes

But there’s something else involved besides just sounding realistic, because it can still sound realistic and not have it......it’s more subliminal.

I can't help thinking there's something wrong with your speakers/room set up, I can listen to the Red Hot Peppers and it sounds as though they're here

You tube does have amazing sound for what it is, but whatever processing they use takes something away from a performance especially in the vocals.

My system is fine tuned for streaming 16/44.1 - 24/96 flac

Status
Not open for further replies.