John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan,

MRI stands for 'Magnetic Resonance Imaging' a process of using magnetism and radio waves to create pictures of features inside the human body. My prologue for an experiment would be to put wires, cables, and interconnections inside an MRI scanner, apply musical electric currents, and see what happens. I have no idea what would happen, or what would or could be seen to happen. Epilogue unknown.

But it is about time that somebody does it, or some such experimentation like it, as this fruitless circular conversation is going nowhere other than to damage the participants.

ToS
A current carrying conductor in a 2 tesla magnetic field will move. This is how a speaker works.
An MRI typically looks for hydrogen atoms, particularly in water or body fat.
Putting metal in the MRI typically blurs the image. Putting anything magnetic in is a big no-no.

What to look for? Got me..

Jn

This is the graphic from the publication that mmerrill99 cited, i mentioned in one of my previous posts:

thavam_dietz2019_fig493kys.gif

Surprising numbers, but of course the usual caveats have to be considered....

This is the graphic from the publication that mmerrill99 cited, i mentioned in one of my previous posts:

thavam_dietz2019_fig493kys.gif

Surprising numbers, but of course the usual caveats have to be considered....

Good plot, and it shows that human 2us ITD hearing capability is still low. So, the concerns about sub-microsecond interchannel differences to be audible, that had attracted audience for several days, seem to be a fairy tale at least. However, makes a person important - for a moment.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Looking at that graph, could one draw the conclusion that as ITD gets smaller (i.e. towards 2us) the measurement capability error actually gets worse because people may be hearing it, but its wrong, so its like the flip of a coin.

I am not a statistics guy, but I hope they looked into this in the study and/or the controls were there to catch it.

All right, here’s some fuel for whichever campfire you choose to toast your marshmallows at.

Last night while coming to the end of a listening session things got a little odd with the sound (very odd actually) ....the sound reduced in volume and quality by over half (for given volume position) needless to say I was a bit concerned and puzzled.

All the panic checking ensued.....connections, cycling power, different source etc.

The thought even crossed my mind ‘oh crap, did I finally lose my hearing’ !

I was about to give up on the Hint as a pos but then noticed (after about 4 or 5 songs of death quivers) it was starting to come back around....after a couple more songs it finally coughed up its hairball and in a couple more it was readily apparent that the timing issues were straightened out. I was about to shut it off and go to bed when this happened but was now afraid to shut it off wanting to give it time to recover from whatever had just happened.

Finally it was stable enough to shut down and then the to be continued......

Sorry hit ‘post’ b4 I was done.

So this morning I wanted to verify what had occurred and hoped it retained its new found stride.....well it has!

The soft tone and smoothness is still there with a hint of ‘slow’ but timing is now, well.....on time!
The music is now fuller and deeper.....much more relaxed.

Y’all can bag on me all ya want but this happened clearly as in ‘without doubt’

Max Headroom said:
Why is visible part of spectrum the only frequency band of interest ?.
Because that determines what we see? Silver looks bright because of the way it interacts with light, which is merely one part (approximately an octave) of the whole frequency spectrum.

johnego said:
But i'm also convinced that (product) 'quality' is not the main ingredient to be successful in business.
We agree on something! Sadly, 'quality' is not even a necessary ingredient in some markets.

tapestryofsound said:
MRI stands for 'Magnetic Resonance Imaging' a process of using magnetism and radio waves to create pictures of features inside the human body. My prologue for an experiment would be to put wires, cables, and interconnections inside an MRI scanner, apply musical electric currents, and see what happens. I have no idea what would happen, or what would or could be seen to happen. Epilogue unknown.
I suspect that to get time on an MRI machine you would need something better than 'this might do something' as the project title. As I understand it, MRI measures the electromagnetic environment of hydrogen nuclei. There aren't any hydrogen nuclei in titanium dioxide, unless it happens to be hydrated (and I have no idea whether it can be hydrated - I only did chemistry to A-level and that was a long time ago). Come to think of it, there aren't any hydrogen nuclei in a music signal current.

Good plot, and it shows that human 2us ITD hearing capability is still low. So, the concerns about sub-microsecond interchannel differences to be audible, that had attracted audience for several days, seem to be a fairy tale at least. However, makes a person important - for a moment.

Something tells me I might be reference material for that last statement....but hey it is what it is.
The thing important to me about sharing my experience in these matters is maybe helping the other people that have better than average comparative hearing skills and are talked into believing they don’t.
I consider it a skill to be honed with practice and perseverance.....that’s why I’m on a mission to label and understand what it is I’m actually hearing, then somehow be able to implement that knowledge into bettering the sound.
And hey my subjective version may be completely self serving but I’m not setting up for a audience.

Bob

Max,

Just because almost anyone who tries can measure differences in cable capacitance due to different insulation colors. :)

Is this true? It’s so hard to tell with so much sarcasm and innuendo floating around.
If it is serious how much difference does it actually make apples for apples just a different color......say black vs white?

I’m seeing a common range in most audio specific wire of 15 pf/ft > 300 pf/ft

Then I suppose the next question would be do all white wires use titanium dioxide as pigment? Or is that the only way to make ‘white’ .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.