John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of experimentation has gone into correlating measured and perceived qualities of loudspeakers, with very clear conclusions being drawn.

Loudspeakers that measure identical on the most relevant parameters will sound identical.

This is not to dispute your point that in loudspeaker design, compromises have to be made, and that some of the largest audible differences in audio can be found where electro-mechanical transducers are involved.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
"IME I well agree loading R is subjectively cleaner/better than no loading R, but I was never convinced that shunt '8R/6R' is optimal, to me the result is overly/unnaturally damped besides the power wastage issues, I haven't tried values like 50R so. "

Dan --- Try 33-50 Ohms. Listen to the bass, also esp if it is a tuned port enclosure with multiple high Z resonance peaks.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
John, please let's not oversimplify. I have a problem with your statement "Never was sub wavelength t-lines considered.". Well, I do not think so. I am permanently repeating an example where t-line length is negligible compared to signal wave length and the example is 6km wave in a 6m cable. 6km wave is 50kHz, well about audio band. I would never say that 6m cable has no issues with MHz signals, though 6m wavelength is for 50MHz. I have plenty of measurements showing the problem with sub wavelength signals, however from some point they are negligible.

I will stop posting measurements in this thread. They need hours of preparations and no matter what is shown, someone else needs seconds to write his pseudo-theoretical arguing based just on his subjective hypothesis. This is a rule of thumb here. So maybe I may start my own thread and I would appreciate real arguments and real results then, or maybe I will not do it just considering it totally useless.
Repeating a length comparison is not by any means proof of anything other than length difference.
A 4.9 meter cable has been demonstrated to reflect audio signals below 10khz, even below 2khz. Not pseudoscience, not subjective, but facts and measurements. Proof.

Also, your measurements contain the information I discuss, you just don't realize it yet.

Had you run the cusp graph, you would have seen.

Jn

Re Bateman

http://www.waynekirkwood.com/images/pdf/Cyril_Bateman/Bateman_Speaker_Amp_Interaction.pdf

He says

This is the same as I do, I say the real difference would be in tens of ns and I say it is a no-issue, especially compared to all other flaws of the complete audio system.
Again, you think in terms of prop delay. Very incorrect thinking.

Jn

Objectivists with good ears equal subjectivists. ...
Troels Gravesen is among speaker builders who explicitly admits the missing correlation between measurement and quality. This has nothing to do with technology. It is because someone can't hear so he doesn't know.

I don't understand this objectivist/subjectivist controversy about speakers.
They are perfectly imperfect devices. Distortions, various non linearity and resonances in the time domain. A lot of factors are in work. Membranes , suspension, magnetic assembly, variations of impedances and efficiency with temp. (power) etc...
Even the chassis of a speaker introduce problems, not to forget the way a lot of parameters will be modified by the listening room.

We can measure a lot of those defects. We cannot traduce those measurements in listening impressions. So, we need both, to try to do the best as possible.

We have Thiel and Small to calculate enclosures. It works... It helps to choose a transducer to approach a requisite. But the perfect device will never exist.
So, at the end, you are obliged to use your subjective ears to "voice" a speaker assembly. And use a lot of "tricks".

Because we are able, now, with DSPs to approach linear response curves, if you compare two corrected speakers assemblies, with very close response curves, you can, most of the time, note a VERY different character in the reproduction.

When I was working on my own speakers, I had spend hours and hours of listening, just to tune the relative level of the two ways. Even a 0.25dB of change is drastic: you do not see a lot of difference, looking at the response curve. That's because each speaker reproducing half of the bandwidth, the acoustic power change is drastic.

Speakers are not an exact science, while we, of course, try our best on a pure technical point of view.

Just measured at speaker end behind 6m cable zip cord, speaker connected. Amplifier with Tr = 1us approx.

1) open end /speaker only/
2) 150 ohm termination added

There is almost no difference and also no cable reflections are seen in none of the measurements. Class A non global NFB amplifier. So, what is it really all about???
First, proper measurement technique and presentation.
You show two measurements, but the first statement is open end/speaker only, second is 150 ohm termination added.
Look in my galley at the settling time graph. That is what you will see, albeit different numbers as different conditions.

That looks like three independent conditions.

And, did you just parallel a 150 ohm resistor to the speaker? What did you expect to see?

If your plan is to not do any more tests, you are not succeeding. However, I also value your contributions here so ask you to remain please.

With that setup of amp, cable, drive, try resistors only first, with values ranging from 4 to 500 ohms. No speaker in parallel.

Jn

With the greatest respect JN, I stand by my earlier assertion. I might be more convinced if I could see the cable behavior separated from the speaker load characteristics to judge the relative effects of each.

Secondly, but perhaps tangential to this discussion, it’s clear CB’s Blameless had stability problems.

Is anything above a few hundred kHz as important in Audio? If you are pumping stuff at MHz down a cable to a speaker load, you ‘get what you deserve’. But ok, here we are talking science and engineering, so in the spirit of investigation some of us do these things.

I suspect CB disabled the front end filter on his blameless to get the BW so the amp would probably have had overshoot problems and other issues at HF (with square wave testing). Unfortunately, CB does not go into detail so we will never know.
There was a lot of content in those write ups, I do agree. I hope other find them of value.
I recommended Pavel scan the full mismatch range to show the cusp, we will see..

Jn

To me, CB's experiment is technically flawed. The only valid part, for me, is a cable analysis, which anyone with some skills and knowledge may make in the simulator.

2nd, I am afraid, that some here, though unintentionally, are supporting, through their hypothesis, black magicians and snake oil sellers in this thread. Thus, to me, such hypothesis should be supported by experiment results or link to a scientific literature. In case that the findings are secret and may not be disclosed, then please do not talk about them.

So, it is technically flawed because you say so without any supporting evidence other than you know what your talking about?
Elaborate in a clear technical manner exactly why you say his reflection bridge technique is flawed. He took the effort to first use his HP unit, then engineered one capable of 53 dB performance at 1khz, then used it, documented it, and showed through good engineering practice how it verified exactly the analysis he did (and which you agree is correct but anybody can do that).

You are cherry picking, discounting without evidence clear test and analysis, expecting us to buy you discounting actual evidence based on nothing but your good looks, and NOW, you are attempting a tactic I really did not expect of you, trying to claim that I am an unknowing partner in snake oil.

Jn

With that setup of amp, cable, drive, try resistors only first, with values ranging from 4 to 500 ohms. No speaker in parallel.

Jn

Why??? I am interested in testing under real world audio conditions and not the conditions that have no influence to audio sound. I do not need to be trained in cable behavior, I know it quite well though I am not boasting on every possible occasion how good I am in it. Guys here are talking about resistive termination of a speaker cable at speaker terminals, so I have shown the measurement under such conditions. I also have a direct comparison of both measurements (with and without terminator parallel to the speaker). Cable wave properties are absolutely unimportant in audio. And the cable is terminated also by a real speaker box because it is the way how it really works. VHF cable analysis makes no sense here.

Maybe you do not realize, but your theories are supporting the audio charlatanism here. Unless you come with firm results that would reflect in audio signal and its perception.

Last time I checked AC theory the word was that transmission lines must be correctly terminated or else ringing and resonances will occur. So who has equipment that is perfect in the audio band with reactive loads, and also has perfect RF immunity?

Ringing and resonance requires stimulus content have those frequencies present. I would recommend it in two conditions, if you are a hundred feet from a high power RF source, or if you are running a very high bandwidth amp and high capacitance low z cables.

Jn

Why??? I am interested in testing under real world audio conditions and not the conditions that have no influence to audio sound. I do not need to be trained in cable behavior, I know it quite well though I am not boasting on every possible occasion how good I am in it. Guys here are talking about resistive termination of a speaker cable at speaker terminals, so I have shown the measurement under such conditions. I also have a direct comparison of both measurements (with and without terminator parallel to the speaker). Cable wave properties are absolutely unimportant in audio. And the cable is terminated also by a real speaker box because it is the way how it really works. VHF cable analysis makes no sense here.

Maybe you do not realize, but your theories are supporting the audio charlatanism here. Unless you come with firm results that would reflect in audio signal and its perception.
You have provided test which have no meaning within the context of the discussion. I am not your typical audience, I see how you miss it, how you discount that which you choose not to believe.

That is the second time you have mentioned the "others", as if non technical people are the enemy. You have blinded yourself in your disdain for those "others", and are now trying to beat me down as being a co-conspirator In a war of us against them.

It is your fear of them that is the problem. You are blindly fighting any engineering analysis or test result which you deem are aid and comfort to the enemy.

You need to get over that.

As you can see, that schtick does not work on me. Try valid tests that are focused on the discussion at hand, that will impress me.

Also, historically speaking, I am not one to accept pseudoscience nor charlatans. You know that of me...or you should.

I also am not one to blindly discount anybody because they think differently. In my line of work, EVERYBODY thinks differently. That is not something to disdain, but celebrate.

Sorry for the diatribe..
Jn

Last edited:
Ringing and resonance requires stimulus content have those frequencies present. I would recommend it in two conditions, if you are a hundred feet from a high power RF source, or if you are running a very high bandwidth amp and high capacitance low z cables.
What about intermods or digital audio escapee RF causing suitable stimulus ?.
Whatever the mechanism, something changes by addition of loading resistors and IME the change is subjectively beneficial.

Dan.

What about intermods or digital audio escapee RF causing suitable stimulus ?.
Whatever the mechanism, something changes by addition of loading resistors and IME the change is subjectively beneficial.

Dan.
As an engineer, I would have to see before and after as measurement. Since you are clearly a subjectivist, I MUST casually reject anything you propose.;)

I am always critical of your espousings, especially ones not based on actual science...however..

I note with casual interest how Richard and Demian are give a free pass when they discuss a resistor terminating the line and it's beneficial effect because they provide a reasonably technical explanation, whereas you are rejected because you are on the other side of the fence...
And me, there is still consternation as to what side of the fence I sit on. To paraphrase Neo...there is no fence..

And don't get me wrong Dan.. I still hate your guts..:D

Jn

Status
Not open for further replies.