Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2018, 12:27 AM   #10101
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
What statement, loud? I've never been front and center where I could bear to stay and listen especially with hard aggressive music. I had a friend who setup for name acts in the 70's in the UK, front row SPL's were typically set at 120dB.
dB what reference? Inches, millimeters, frogs or would it be sound pressure level referenced to the old or new standard and then what weight?

You know perfectly well bells are a ratio and without a reference meaningless. My guess would be 110 dBa with a fast response "C" weighting is what the reading taken by a competent meter user would get. Maybe less as a slow "A" weighted dBa reading not a bragging claim.

To get only moderately clipped music a real reading of 120 dBa slow "A" weighted would require a one meter loudpeaker output of 150 dBa peaks. Or in excess of 100,000 watts into typical loudspeakers. I have seen systems with that wattage but they also used loudspeakers that were designed for such abuse and were almost 10 dB less sensitive than the usual ones.

Of course in the seventies the typical large amplifiers used were Crown DC300s. About 160 watts per channel.

Now depending on the audience loud can be 95dBa fast "A" weight or the typical concert goal these days is 102 dBa fast "C" righting at 100 feet. That in a good system can actually be uniform to the front row. But it might be 3dB higher to almost 10 dB when done with poor pattern control.

Yes there are some folks who try to play louder and they are marked by blown gear after each performance.

My loudest system could do 102 dBa fast "A" at 700 feet. But it was also that level at the closest audience members.
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:59 AM   #10102
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
dB what reference? Inches, millimeters, frogs or would it be sound pressure level referenced to the old or new standard and then what weight?
Ed you never disappoint, I almost edited my post but I knew you would have something to say. I have no idea what he meant other than so loud it was unhealthy to listen without ear protection. That was my experience.
Old 22nd November 2018, 01:09 AM   #10103
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

And you like to be inaccurate? Or did we really just have a spot of communication?

Pretty much any exposure above 80 dBa slow "A" is damaging and probably even below that.

Personally I prefer to listen to much reproduced sound at levels of fast "C" of 50 dBa. That is lower than most folks due to my extremely low background noise level.

Last edited by simon7000; 22nd November 2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 22nd November 2018, 01:19 AM   #10104
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Similarly, I need lower gain (unity?!) amps around here. Nearfield and quiet.
Old 22nd November 2018, 02:07 AM   #10105
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

Living in an apartment, I usually listen at relatively low levels, 60-70dB or so. However, I decided to turn on the big system last Sunday, in order to listen to some new digital that I had. Normally, I don't like digital reproduction, but I was experimenting with some 'B' tweaks that Jack wanted me to try. WOW! Finally my system sounds really good in digital, at least my best 24-96K, and DSD did, and it even listenable on CD. So I turned up the volume to a realistic level which is about 10-15dB higher that I noted with my sound level meter. You know, 85dB wideband average, perhaps 95 on some peaks. It sounded great, but the next day I got a note on my door with a neighbor who wanted to complain about the sound level. So its back to 60-70dB.
Old 22nd November 2018, 02:18 AM   #10106
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi John,
So at the end of all this, what did you do to make your digital material sound acceptable to you? I'll assume you have had most of the hardware for a long enough time to be used to them.

-Chris
Old 22nd November 2018, 02:31 AM   #10107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
And you like to be inaccurate?
You can't be inaccurate without a reference, maybe unclear sorry I left it that way. I think it was simply "they wanted it at 11".
Old 22nd November 2018, 02:45 AM   #10108
diyAudio Member

It's interesting to see that preference has crept back into the ABX discussion. I thought valid tests for possibly subtle differences came first. There is the issue that arises when people can tell the difference and prefer the "wrong" choice.

This is my experience, there is nothing even remotely subtle about the differences in what my audio acquaintances prefer to listen to.

And of course unsighted listening = "forum" ABX only just keeps rolling.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 22nd November 2018 at 02:51 AM.
Old 22nd November 2018, 02:59 AM   #10109
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

You don't want to know, Anatech. '-)
Old 22nd November 2018, 04:18 AM   #10110
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
@KBK, Some very good points. But, if you are in a position to see all that you can probably also see saying it once won't change much, if anything. You could have a lot of work ahead if you if you actually want to have an effect.

EDIT: However, some of what you say seems a bit overly dramatic.
No, I would never be dramatic. No one has ever seen me do that.

Dry humour, maybe.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan. Sometimes the claims aren't extraordinary. Sometimes the weakness of men's minds are the culprit. Mass mentality has nothing to do with obviousness or truths.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!