Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2018, 09:20 PM   #10081
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

cbdb, you have to try harder in order to become a true 'Randite' like many others. Here is a couple of pages of Randi at a 'debunking event.' Learn from the expert! '-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aby1.jpg (749.7 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by john curl; 21st November 2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 21st November 2018, 09:27 PM   #10082
jneutron is offline jneutron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
JN,

Next are you going to diss the magnetic monopole?
As I was reading the physics review paper, I was looking for one..

I had to help a guy here building a monopole detector, it needed a large fridge sized double mu metal walled enclosure. Someone had to help degauss it, dat be me..

Quote:
Just for humor, being a cheap bstrd I still use an iphone 4. It started dragging on data and finally gave me the black screen of death. So I just put the phone in the freezer overnight and now it works fine!
I also used a 4 for a long time, inherited my wife's 6s.

Hey, when my phone dies from helium exposure, yours will still be working. Your oscillator isn't one of the MEMS type, so you're safe. Iphone 6 and later, smartwatches suffer from this.

jn
Old 21st November 2018, 09:45 PM   #10083
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
cbdb, you have to try harder in order to become a true 'Randite' like many others. Here is a couple of pages of Randi at a 'debunking event.' Learn from the expert! '-)
So easy money....

'''Amazing''' Randi Tackles Speaker Cables | WIRED

//

Last edited by TNT; 21st November 2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 21st November 2018, 10:29 PM   #10084
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerrill99 View Post
Here's the intro to that paper - tell me if anything in it sparks your interest
Expectation and prior knowledge aiding scene perception is a familiar idea since I've read much of what Linkwitz has to say on the matter, I'm happy to say it works for me in my room with my dipoles, I'm sure this has been discussed before, I don't think there's any argument this is a major aspect of psychoacoustics and how we create a believable image for ourselves.
Old 21st November 2018, 10:40 PM   #10085
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

"Randi's challenge applies to "actual performance," not "qualities that can only be perceived by attentive dogs or by hi-tech instrumentation," in which case he'd probably be safe using 50 cents worth of lamp cord as a comparison."

I've actually gone a stage further and used some old mains conduit cable I had knocking around, for the full fascinating story see my "Speaker Cable" thread with invaluable input from a number of regular, much respected, contributors to this thread.....
Old 21st November 2018, 11:07 PM   #10086
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
Banned

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
.....I am afraid you missed the claim that it puts you in the fifth row of Carnegie Hall. This may actually be believable! Fifth row center is not so good. Not centered is really not so good. Best seat in the house is front center balcony!
I can't do an ABX test of this, but just wandering around during a rehearsal makes this clear to my ears.
Fifth row ?....pfffffft .

Just in, an informal review from one of the guys at work....a sound engineer with ten years or so of live/studio experience.
Quote:
Here are the revised notes from when I analytically listened to various songs on my phone, using the headphones you modified for me:

I mainly listened to two bands in particular; Stone Sour, and Slipknot. The latter being the heavy metal 9-piece band I mentioned at work.

The headphones produced great clarity for both bands, even while competing wit jet engine noise during my flights to and from Brisbane. I could hear each individual instrument in it's own space within the stereo sound field, as if I were standing at the front of the stage while the band performed.

For the band Stone Sour, the bass guitar really stood out on their tracks, where it had been difficult to distinguish previously. I could also hear backing vocals that I had never noticed before - also within their own space in the mix (not centred like the lead vocal track typically is). The lead vocals were very clear and crisp.

In the case of the band Slipknot - being a 9-piece band - if played through low-fi speakers (such as laptop speakers, etc.), their songs can sound quite harsh and muddled, with a lot of composite sounds occurring throughout the mix. I found this was rarely the case, having listened to various songs across several of their albums, each song sounded distinguished, with every element able to be identified within it's place in the mix. Again, it sounded as if I were standing before the band.

I could never usually notice the bass line in any of their songs (it usually gets drowned out by the kick drums, backing percussionists, and other low-end instrumentals), but it stood out, although difficult to hear at times, I could still notice it in it's own space behind the lead vocals.

I failed to notice any noise floor or interference. There was one instance where there was brief distortion/noisy artefacts on one part of a song (for only 5 seconds or less) from a different band, but it only occurred once, and it may just have been a result of the poor quality of the MP3. Otherwise the headphones seemed almost flawless in their response across various bands and genres of music.

I hope these notes are of some use. I'll probably see you at work tomorrow
This is on a pair of well regarded Audio Tecknica pro headphones with my formulation on the driver magnets and driver connections only.
Funny/cool that a pair of headphones can be transformed in less than 5 minutes.

Dan.
Old 21st November 2018, 11:16 PM   #10087
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Fifth row ?....pfffffft .

Just in, an informal review from one of the guys at work....a sound engineer with ten years or so of live/studio experience..
I didn't see a comparison to untreated headphones but "if played through low-fi speakers (such as laptop speakers, etc.), their songs can sound quite harsh and muddled". BTW Slipknot, and you complain about my music?

Last edited by scott wurcer; 21st November 2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 21st November 2018, 11:23 PM   #10088
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post

As to it being a magnetic diode, well, I'm more than a tad skeptical. How they got from this writeup to "one magnet pushes the other, but the other doesn't push back" is pure fiction..
Gee I thought my grade school demo of dropping a super magnet down a copper pipe had anti-gravity hidden in it somewhere.
Old 21st November 2018, 11:32 PM   #10089
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post

That said, I don't think your analogy is quite perfect there, Bill. 1% is probably a bit of an exaggeration, but, yes, it's a data-driven sport. Telemetry is such a huge thing in F1, but historically (and depending on the race series, now), driver feedback has been critical to suspension setup/etc. And there are some drivers (can't remember names, sorry) that were/are famous for their ability to enumerate the feel of the car and translate that into setup changes that corroborated extremely well with what the telemetry told them as well.

If you look at the improvements between first and last practice these days then it's usually less that 1% in lap time times (on a 90 second lap 1% is 0.9 seconds which is a huge amount when grid positions are often within a few thousandths.)

Every so often (once or twice a season) you get a case where the sims were wrong and then it gets fun (mexico this year).

But take an extreme case of Michael Schumacher. He wanted a car that turned in hard with zero understeer. If he didn't get that he had trouble extracting the most out of the car. However it made the car almost undrivable for the other driver in the team as it was designed around his driving style.

Still no relationship to domestic replay
Old 21st November 2018, 11:33 PM   #10090
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Randi got poor advice in setting up his challenge. IIRC he left the door open for someone to choose pathological combinations of speaker/amp/cable where easily detected frequency response anomalies could occur.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!