Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2018, 03:42 PM   #10031
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Can we pretty please stop feeding the troll?

The man has a vested interest (what percentage financial vs ideological I don't know or care given they're interrelated) in spreading FUD about DBT in audio, especially ABX. Good luck getting any sort if reasoned discussion out of him, nor is he willing to provide anything constructive, like an experimental protocol that ostensibly works. Instead he practices manipulative arguing methods, complete with their logical fallacies, (particularly selective and out of context quoting followed by a conflation of "if this minor thing is arguable, then the overall position is wrong") and then complains loudly that he's being treated unfairly when someone comments against a point he makes unambiguously, especially when it is technically and unambiguously wrong. Mark, Jacob, if that reads like attacking a person rather than his ideas, I understand. I also don't know how to separate the toxicity of the individual's methods from his long ago historically argued points. Frankly the most cogent points he makes are when he parrots or directly quotes someone else, oftentimes completely in the wrong context, which certainly doesn't inspire confidence in his reasoning.

Last edited by DPH; 21st November 2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 21st November 2018, 03:45 PM   #10032
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post
Okay you're right, Daniel.
Old 21st November 2018, 03:46 PM   #10033
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

He sucked you back in Pavel?
Old 21st November 2018, 03:47 PM   #10034
diyAudio Member

You know it is a temptation
Old 21st November 2018, 03:47 PM   #10035
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Yep
Old 21st November 2018, 03:55 PM   #10036
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerrill99
How do you know a test is "strongly biased" - just your 'belief system', again at play?
I don't know anything about some random hypothetical unspecified test. I take it you do not have a belief system? If so, thinking must be hard work as you have nothing to start from. Each time you want to calculate the value of a resistor you first have to discover what physical law (if you believe in physical laws - maybe you don't?) is obeyed by resistors (do I need to define the word 'resistor'?).

Quote:
If you can't deal with the logic of the arguments & have to revert to trying to bait the person, then many readers make of this what they will.
Surely 'baiting' is what you have been attempting to do with me for some time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA
It took me sometime, yes there is a Merrill Audio site
I was aware of that. It appears to be at the shiny, expensive, 'lifestyle' end of the audio market, while claiming not to be. The website has lots of fine words but very few facts. I do not know what, if any, connection it has with mmerrill99 here. If he is connected with that business then I can well imagine why he wishes to defend sighted tests. Fortunately it is likely that few of Merrill Audio's customers will seek audio wisdom on this forum, so I doubt if we are affecting sales.
Old 21st November 2018, 03:58 PM   #10037
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH
OK. I was getting tired of this game anyway.
Old 21st November 2018, 04:04 PM   #10038
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post
4.2K...that's more like it. Anybody can do that.

I had to put a pair of 100 HP motors to use on a pump to get down to 1.8K in a big dewar. A two liter or so chamber with fins, put 4.2K liquid in it, pull a vacuum, it boils, and in the process, the fins cool down the helium it's immersed into. We maintain a liquid level in the chamber as gas leaves, and it eventually cools down the large volume of liquid to 1.88.

It gets really expensive at these temps, 1 watt into 4.2K liquid requires 1000 watts of electricity at the fridge. 1 watt into 1.8K requires 2 kilowatts at the fridge.

I suspect it isn't even exponential, that Carnot guy is very unforgiving. An probably much more than 1/ delta t.

jn
Sounds like its a tri axis rotational problem. (just looking at the comments after my new white room distortion post)

Regardless, new brain toy:

Researchers defy 19th Century law of Physics in 21st century boost for energy efficiency

whut dey be sayin? Magnetic diode.

This may help in some of your work John.

Assamalute zero might get a bit more friendly, and move closer to you on the dewar. Too bad, it will be totally frigid.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan. Sometimes the claims aren't extraordinary. Sometimes the weakness of men's minds are the culprit. Mass mentality has nothing to do with obviousness or truths.

Last edited by KBK; 21st November 2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 21st November 2018, 04:07 PM   #10039
mmerrill99 is offline mmerrill99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post
And this is how the usual script goes on audio forums from people who are afraid to deal with logical arguments - attack the poster for being X or not being X (doesn't matter as long as it's accepted by the groupthink), then label him/her a troll & appeal to others to ignore - all to avoid facing the truth of what's being said

Quote:
The man has a vested interest (what percentage financial vs ideological I don't know or care given they're interrelated) in spreading FUD about DBT in audio, especially ABX. Good luck getting any sort if reasoned discussion out of him, nor is he willing to provide anything constructive, like an experimental protocol that ostensibly works.
Again we see the usual m.o - build a strawman - I've said it before, the mindset that dominates certain types - unless a prescription is given on how to do something they feel they have been cheated - it seems they can't deal with analysis of the 'test' & the weaknesses inherent in t - they just don't want to know.

I already gave a way of embedding hidden controls within a ABX test but PMA either doesn't understand or pretends not to. Whatever, the reason, neither he nor the main ABX supporters on here are interested in controls

Quote:
Instead he practices manipulative arguing methods, complete with their logical fallacies, (particularly selective and out of context quoting followed by a conflation of "if this minor thing is arguable, then the overall position is wrong") and then complains loudly that he's being treated unfairly when someone comments against a point he makes unambiguously, especially when it is technically and unambiguously wrong.
Don't know what you are talking about but if you aren't able to deal with details about ABX testing, or details about auditory perception then maybe I can help you - the first step is being truthful with yourself.
Quote:
Mark, Jacob, if that reads like attacking a person rather than his ideas, I understand. I also don't know how to separate the toxicity of the individual's methods from his long ago historically argued points. Frankly the most cogent points he makes are when he parrots or directly quotes someone else, oftentimes completely in the wrong context, which certainly doesn't inspire confidence in his reasoning.
Ah, just get to the ad-hominem stuff straight away in your next post - no need for the lead-in
Old 21st November 2018, 04:12 PM   #10040
diyAudio Member

I am thinking about time zones

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIIHide this!Advertise here!