The computer thread

Well where to start?

I am running a Vista PC....

Asus ROG Crosshair Formula II (YES that old)
AMD Phenom 9950 Black Ed. (140W) Quad core
Nvidia 9800GTX+ PCIe GFX
Vista32 (didn't bother upgrading to win7 and wish I had)
2GB RAM
Dual 160GB HDD.

Other that OS being sh1te,....it still runs rapid for all my engineering/studio/software

Wondering why coders just Have to have a fast pc?
Coderunning and compiling hardly taxes most computers....

Wondering what I can do to keep it going (since software obsolescence, is actually happening quicker than the hardware becoming inadequate or failing.)

Last edited:
OSTripper,
I'm with you on that one. The MOD won't touch it either for the same reasons.

Nigel,

I guess I'll have to stay with Vista, and never use the internet again...
It's a shame as I'm fairly sure win10 won't work with my 2007 hardware and drivers, where as win7 will.

Now if there were LEGIT win7 32bit DL and keys around, that would be brilliant. Last I looked I had missed them by a few months and they don't seem to be around anymore.

It's just criminal, I have owned this PC for over a decade, no hardware failures, 4 years of late night university panic, alcohol and coursework, and it keeps on ticking.
I resent having to line someone's pockets for planned obsolescence.

Last edited:
Well where to start?

I am running a Vista PC....

Asus ROG Crosshair Formula II (YES that old)
AMD Phenom 9950 Black Ed. (140W) Quad core
Nvidia 9800GTX+ PCIe GFX
Vista32 (didn't bother upgrading to win7 and wish I had)
2GB RAM
Dual 160GB HDD.

Other that OS being sh1te,....it still runs rapid for all my engineering/studio/software

Wondering why coders just Have to have a fast pc?
Coderunning and compiling hardly taxes most computers....

Wondering what I can do to keep it going (since software obsolescence, is actually happening quicker than the hardware becoming inadequate or failing.)
Vista sp2 IS win7.
My hacked Russian Vista performs exactly like 7. The Icons are a bit different
on Vista.
They let consumers debug , complain , and spend on Vista .... then they chilled out UAC , tweaked the GUI , sold the same damn OS as Windows 7.
Win 10 is just 8/8.1 repackaged.
Win2K --- win10 almost NO innovation besides making it into better malware.
OS

Trouble is everything else is obsolete or getting there.

7 isn't , I have DX12 - I am 4X faster than my sons I7/GT1060 gaming PC "was"(before 7 "upgrade").
I can run any game or app that W10 can , 4X faster.

And , I don't have a child like GUI .... use 600mb ram at startup , only 15 services
running. SSD + my W7 boots in 5 seconds. Just like a toaster should.

OS

Well I thought Vista and Win 7 were close (with all the buggy cr@p removed in 7), I think there is some performance deficit but perhaps it's not huge.
Biggest issue is, however similar or dissimilar, win7 is at least partially supported, and Vista isn't.

But as OSTripper says, what I still like about my decade old PC:

It starts in under a minute.
It copes with any technical software I need (MATLAB, proteus, most of the old DAW I use, in fact any tech analytical soft that I use or am ever likely to want to use, as well as 2010 MSO which is still the best.

It copes on games of the era, runs DX10 quite easily (though I never actually need the capability)

Maybe I'll just remove the LAN card and keep strictly offline

It'll go alongside my 2003 vintage Celeron Laptop (PCB CAD and VB6

Last edited:
Maybe I'll just remove the LAN card and keep strictly offline

It'll go alongside my 2003 vintage Celeron Laptop (PCB CAD and VB6

What , scared of not being updated .... security ?

Another big scam of the PC industry.
Most updates/patches on vista --> W10 are to fix the buggy "productivity" additions to the basic OS (kernel/TCP-IP/GUI).

Just Pirate bay a basic "win7 lite" .ISO , install from a thumb drive.
Mine was updated to 4/18/13 ha ha NO actual security update for the OS
was relevant from that date on. Activation tech and the update service are gone
in my copy.

I go to the dark web or where ever and dare someone to "hack" me ... It don't happen.

Virus --geeez .... just don't let social engineering and the the big green download button catch you !!!

OS

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Venus Fly: I think you should compare i7-8700 with the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X , the price for the amd cpu is , as I write this, 309$ and for the i7-8700(non k version ) is 309$.

But that is cheating because you are replacing an overclockable part with a non-overclockable part. Anyway even if I did that it would still be a huge price parity:
Cheapest I can find on ebay of the I7 8700 non-K is:
Intel Core i3 i5 i7 8100 8300 8350K 8400 8500 8600K 8700K Processor Desktop CPU | eBay
$559 AUD (With a 10% off coupon its: $503.10)

The K part is, just FYI, $639 AUD. with a 10% off coupon its: $575.10

Cheapest Ryzen 5 2600X is:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor 16 MB Cache 3.6 GHz AM4 6 Core 12 Thread Desktop CPU | eBay

$375 AUD

Soooo it is still "expensive intel silicon". So if you can afford to say goodbye to the intel brand and don't need compatability quality and you are aware of the compatability issues with certain ram and M.2 drives that AMD hardware is currently having, you can save a bit of money.
I wouldn't be worrying at all either about AMD's power consumption, its just as low as Intel is, now that they've moved to a new fab process.

If I had the money, or I could find the intel hardware cheaply, I would go with intel. BUT there exists with some new builds the possiblity of going with an AMD build.

I couldn't agree more with what "ostripper" has said in this thread about corsair, intel, etc making quality reliable hardware, especially intel desktop grade motherboards. I would only add that Seasonic is a good PSU manufacturer and that I also use WD drives in-stead of Seagate. Except that I have a large array of 6TB Toshiba drives.

The verdict for me is still out on weather or not AMD hardware can remain alive for longer than intel hardware, so-far I've had numerous AMD components die and Gigabyte motherboards die too, even intel Gigabyte motherboards.... I've had a lot of hardware die actually which is strange. I'm concerned about my old M12II psu having dead mains filtering capacitors, aka, MOVs. Seasonic S12II Bronze 430 W Power Supply Review - Transient Filtering Stage of 12 - Hardware Secrets

I'll be swapping out my PSU soon, within the month or so, with a new Seasonic Gold 550w SSR-550FM for $129 AUD. It was the cheapest 550w psu that I could find that comes with a 7 year warranty. I WOULD go for a 10 year warranty Seasonic PSU but I don't think that its necessary to pay for it. This PSU should more than survive at least 10 years.

The last Seasonic PSU lasted for 10+ years, 430w M12II. My mums pc has the same psu in hers too of the same age. Of course if you look at reviews for any Seasonic PSU you will know that they are quality built products, its nothing new to me.

Right now I'm just ticked at ASUS for making a bad graphics card, and am hoping to get a refund so I can get a Gigabyte brand, or EVGA of the same chip, RX570. I should be able to get a refund, under australian consumer protection law I'm entitled to one if its returned within the month, and it is.

Attachments

• 258-diyaudio.jpg
    258-diyaudio.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 259-diyaudio.jpg
    259-diyaudio.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
The Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold appears to be really cheap at the moment. (Note this is NOT the Prime Ultra Titanium.) You get instead a 12 year warranty vs the 7 year warranty of a Focus Gold. And you get fully modular cables instead of half/half.

There is a SSR-550GD2 for sale near me brand new for $175, with a 10% off coupon that comes down to about $158. Not bad considering that the Focus Gold is only $130 and it doesn't come with free shipping like the Prime Ultra Gold does... So I'm gonna go with a Prime Ultra Gold instead.

SEASONIC PRIME ULTRA 550W 80+ GOLD PSU SSR-550GD2 (PSUSEA550GD2) | eBay

Quite possibly the best PSU that money can buy.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
If anyone buys a PSU expecting to use it for longer than 10 years then at least make sure that the cables have gold plated connectors on them. Otherwise over a period of 10 years sufficient enough corrosion will build up on the ATX motherboard connector to possibly cause overheating and a fire. Also probably a good idea to periodically disconnect, then reconnect, your SATA hard drive connectors, to remove built-up corrosion.

Last edited:
What , scared of not being updated .... security ?
OS

Well mostly yes...
Mainly that Firefox recently stopped support and updates for Vista (and that was the last browser which provided updates for Vista, to my knowledge)

Since this PC is only used online for banking etc, I am cautious.

That being said, given the few remaining Vista systems running, I'd imagine the hackers and malware are more focused on Win7,8 and 10.

Well mostly yes...
Mainly that Firefox recently stopped support and updates for Vista (and that was the last browser which provided updates for Vista, to my knowledge)

Since this PC is only used online for banking etc, I am cautious.

That being said, given the few remaining Vista systems running, I'd imagine the hackers and malware are more focused on Win7,8 and 10.

Did not know that , time for a win 7 ISO.

OS

Well I haven't used it online for months, discovered Firefox stopped support, and it's not been online since!

Maybe just time for me to buy a half decent tablet!

Ahh , for 1/2 (or less)of a tablet price ... I got
-A x3440 xeon on a dell vostro mb w/4gb ram (and intel fan)= 45$ usd
-A hitachi 500gb (apple) HDD for 20 $usd.
-A nvidia gt200 video card 10$ usd

Threw it in a 10YO old core duo box and had a 75$ VERY fast W7 system.

Server recycling centers sell this stuff 24/7 , some is new - old stock ( sealed).

I just came back east in theUS and built 4- I3 or Xeons for <200usd to bring
the family up to 2010+ standards (with pirate bay W7).
They all surf the internet with 200ms page loads (nearly instant).

Older core duo's are right on the edge of today's workloads , only the 45nm
duo's (like the E7600) can keep up with 2018 demands. The X34xx Xeons
are like 1st gen. I7's (no issue). You can buy them for 8- 15$ - cool.

OS

Locoscript / WordStar / Dbase III / BBS /DOS / BASIC / COBOL / RPGII (IBM).
I'm from that Era. I mainly use Windows because I've never liked the way Linux works. Say You accidentally press the power switch and it won't boot again successfully unless new install. Don't tested the newer distributions. I Don't like Apple either because everyone has an iPhone and an IPad and I don't like to have to install iTunes or Ishit to access my Ipod (the only Apple gadget I own). Now I've been doing some AVR programming for DMX and I'm interested in those arduino boards adventures...

I run a mid 2011 MacBook Air that has been a treat. A few years prior I bought a TOTL Samsung laptop that out spec'd the best MacBook Pro at the time. That PC fell apart so fast. Buttons stopped working and got the runaround trying to fix it. I noticed all my classmates using 5+ year old MacBooks and having no issues without having done a thing to em... Naturally I had to dip my toes.

Nothing short of a pleasure. A lot less fiddling and pain. Very easy to "just get to work". Durable as hell, survived a few hard falls (with dents) and still runs like a top. Though, I had one issue under warranty and Apple said it would take a week to fix...they called me the next day. Can't argue there.

Sadly my I/O board appears to have taken a crap on me and tho I will likely try to replace it myself, I am resigned to the idea I may need to replace it altogether soon.

I am planning to run a Pi3 as a desktop for email and basic browsing/office tasks. I use a Pi3 for video games and may use a few more for streaming off a network. Apple TV for Netflix/Amazon cuz it - like my MacBook - just works when I need it to.

Would like to piece together a PC though, and see there is lots to decide on. Especially when it comes to specs and getting things to play nice together. I have an old Windows 7 CD from my old Samsung... It's got a key. So my OS may be taken care of? Regardless, I am wondering where to start if I want to put together a Windows PC for the home that will allow me to run basic programs we tend to see in DIYaudio as well as maybe light server duty. There isn't a lot of used stuff in my parts so it may be wiser to piece something together... I dunno.

Any tips?